Main Menu

Lord & Taylor

Started by amesman, January 11, 2005, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

I found out last month, that Lord and Taylor(owned by the May company, who owns Filene's, Kaufmann's, and others), is closing most if not all stores.

If you have any pictures, or memories of L&T, post here :)

Zayre88

I once parked my car at the Lord & Taylor in Boston and passed trough the store.  It was the first time i went there, it looked upscale, i don't have much to say because i'm more interested by 'discount' stores :boring:

amesman

oh, well, it is upscale, and, it's retail, so I figured it'd be good to talk about. We have a topic on Filene's too

Zayre88

I also saw that news about Lord & Taylor, MAY Company has so many divisions, it must be hard to manage them all and think of strategy, marketing for each brand ...

Filene's, Hecht's, Famous-Barr, Strawbridge's, Foley's, L.S.Ayre, Meyer & Frank, Robinsons-May, Kaufmann's and so on... including the recently acquired Marshall's fields. :o

amesman

yup, and they also own David's Bridal.

At one time, May used to be a department store chain itself, but, they shut down all their stores, and started operating others.

And, in case anyone didn't know, Marshall Fields used to be owned by Target :)

Zayre88

Dayton's and Hudson's department stores were also converted to Marshall's Fields by Target in a move to consolidate their brands...  

So, to keep with the subject:  MAY ownsLord & Taylor and acquired Marshall's Fields !

amesman

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB

Hey Lord & Taylor won my "Most illegible logo " award!:D

Zayre88

Speaking of Lord & Taylor, here's a news:

http://www.dsnretailingtoday.com/story.cfm?ID=5222

Federated could acquire May company !

Filene's, Foley's, Hecht's, Kaufmann's, Robinsons-May, Strawbridge's, Foley's, L.S.Ayre, Meyer & Frank, Kaufmann's, Marshall's Fields, Lord & Taylor, David's Bridal, After Hours, Priscilla of Boston, Jones Store. Bloomingdales, Macy's, Lazarus, Rich's, Goldsmith's, Burdines, Bon March

Caldor1999

hears the one at the Danburry Mall in CT
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hears the one at the Danburry Mall in CT
again this mall has SEARS MACYS JC PENNEY FILENES AND THIS STORE
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I also saw that news about Lord & Taylor, MAY Company has so many divisions, it must be hard to manage them all and think of strategy, marketing for each brand ...

Filene's, Hecht's, Famous-Barr, Strawbridge's, Foley's, L.S.Ayre, Meyer & Frank, Robinsons-May, Kaufmann's and so on... including the recently acquired Marshall's fields. :o
They even once had CALDOR AND VENTURE
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Federated could buy May Company.... again  (feb. 28)

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D88HHMCO1.htm

They did buy May. Oh well, another Company (will) bite(s) the dust.

Anonymous

i've got several of them by me,including stores in the Lakeforest mall In Gathiersburg,Maryland, and one in bethesda maryland,at White Flint Mall
there are two i know of that are closed in maryland, & they are both in baltimore.One is in the owings mills mall in owings mills,maryland,& the other one is at white marsh mall, in baltimore.

Caldor1999

hears L T in the Palisades Mall
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

tis stores is kinda new it opened in 1998 along with the mall its self
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Lord & Taylor With Filene's
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

There's one at the Walden Galleria..It opened in 1989, and in my 13 years of life I've never EVER been in that store.:o

jmn3

L&T at Walden Galleria is nothing special.  Looks similar to any other location.  I must add though, they were not an original anchor when the mall opened in 1989.  That store was added a few years later (somewhere around '92 or '93).

Original anchors at Galleria in May 1989 were: Sibley's (actually opened in Nov 1988 - replaced Seneca Mall store), JCPenney (replaced Seneca and Thruway Mall stores), Bonwit Teller (located on two levels where Bed Bath & Beyond and Old Navy currently are), and Sears (replaced Thruway Mall store).  Lord & Taylor, Galyan's/Dick's, AM&A's/The Bon-Ton, Lechmere/DSW/JCP Home Store/Steve & Barry's...were all add-on anchors to the original.

Jag67

Really?? Man, the L&T store looks way older than it is...very 80's looking. I remember you telling me the AM&A's/Bon-Ton opened in  1990-91. I remember when Bonwit Teller was open because we used to cut through it to get into the mall..I think it closed in 1997 maybe...Do you know when the old Lechmere was built? I emember that store well..:tumble:

jmn3

Bonwit Teller had to have closed around '93.  Old Navy opened up in '94 or '95 and Bonwit's was gone by then.  LL Berger used to have it's own entrance from outside that was located on the lower level of the parking garage in the back just next to JCPenney.  It was right near Bonwit Teller and Penney's...pretty much right in the middle of them.  I forget what went in there after Berger's closed in '91...I think now it's where Finish Line is on the first floor.

I honestly can't remember when Lechmere was built but I would say around '92 probably.

Jag67

oh...Well thre was some kind of anchor store in there because we used to walk thru it to get into the mall and it was all upscale and had REAL mannequins (Not the decapitated stuff). This was in around 1996.

Hey, the L.L Bergers enterance..after Bergers closed, wasn't that enterance taken over by Lechmere? I kinda remember because they put a little Lechmere sign above the door, I think it may have even been there after Lechmere closed.

Here's the Lord & Taylor at the mall..sorry it's a tad blurry, I caught it on the thruway.

jmn3

Nope, the Lechmere entrance was located directly under Lechmere and actually led to an elevator that took you up to the store which was on the second level of the mall with the parking garage underneath it.  I'll have to take a look next time I'm at the mall...I'm thinking the Berger's entrance might be sealed off now.  I think there was a Filene's Basement (not related to Filene's) there for a short time during the mid-90's.  After that, I don't think that entrance was used.  Like I said, I believe Berger's was located on teh first floor, north of JCP, just before the court with Dick's in it.  Finish Line *WAS* in there, but then moved directly upstairs, I think it might be the Pottery Barn now or something like that.  Heh...I haven't been there in since xmas time...so I can't remember.

You probably wouldn't remember The Sample jag, it closed around 1991, but you might have heard of them.  They were a local, family owned chain of smaller department stores.  They had locations all over town, including their flagship on Hertel Ave. in North Buffalo.  Their Galleria store was located right next to Sibley's.  That store sat empty for a long time, but about five years ago or so, Kaufmann's took it over as their "Furniture Gallery" store.  Talking about the galleria made me think of this old store so I thought I'd bring it up.  Buffalo sure was a better place retail-wise not too long ago.  Lots of local selections...now we are stuck with the same old.

Jag67

Yah, Sample closed the year I was born so I wouldn't remember them, but I do remember the Lechmere elavator..we only used it once, but Lechmere was closed (Got to the mall a tad too late) so we never actually entered the store with it. I don't remember Sample, but I used to have a Sample box from the 70's or 80's, but of course my parents threw it out.:flaming: I never knew Kauff'n's H.S was Sample!!! That store sat vacant for most of the 1990's I think.

amesman

Wasn't there an entrance to Lechmere on the side of the building? On top of the parking garage. I remember using that when thew space was the JCPenney Home Store.