Main Menu

Lord & Taylor

Started by amesman, January 11, 2005, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
Do you have any pics of Natick or South Shore in Mass. locations?

South Shore looks like Bridgewater Commons.

yes I do. But it will take a while from now to upload them and that may not be done for days. how often do you shop at lord and taylor and I am still confused on how is more posh: lord and taylor or nordstrom and bloomingdale's?

KyleRF

I shop there quite often, usually at the Bridgewater, Garden State Plaza, or Rockaway location. I would pick Lord and Taylor over the other 2 stores, as it is cheaper and still carries good brands. They have good colognes too! :D

d_fife

I shop there quite often, usually at the Bridgewater, Garden State Plaza, or Rockaway location. I would pick Lord and Taylor over the other 2 stores, as it is cheaper and still carries good brands. They have good colognes too! :D

I think lord and taylor is between JC Penny or Macy's and Nordstrom. I do not shop at those stores that much.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

I think lord and taylor is between JC Penny or Macy's and Nordstrom. I do not shop at those stores that much.

lord & taylor remnids me of neman marus with the prcies of macys but verey up scale i do shop at alot of teh dept stores thats were most of my clouths come from mostly from Macys JC Penny Lord&Taylor and somesimtres Nordtsrom and  bloomingdales and nordtsrom ive been in neaman marcus before there just way to expavie for me i saw a patri of shous there for 300 bucks uslay bloomingdales and nordtsrom are not liek that all the time but any way LT is gtood so is there any wotrn on whats going to happen to them,?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

KyleRF

Here is the Lord and Taylor in Natick, Massachusetts, in the Natick Mall.

KyleRF

Here is the Lord and Taylor of Washington D.C., taken in 1959 when it was new.

KyleRF

Here is the Lord and Taylor of Bala-Cynwyd, Pennsylvania in the 1950's

KyleRF

Here is the Lord and Taylor in the biggest mall in New England, South Shore Plaza in Braintree, Massachusetts (there were some Caldors there). I am in a hotel right next to it now, actually, because I am vacationing in Boston. :)

ameskmart1

Orlando, FL (Will be closed soon)
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

KyleRF

Actually, that Lord and Taylor is still open according to the mall website.

KyleRF

Does anyone know anything about vacant Lord and Taylors before the 2003 reconstructioning?

KyleRF

Does anyone have pics of Lord and Taylors from 1980-1992?

d_fife

Does anyone have pics of Lord and Taylors from 1980-1992?

I have none, the first time I saw a lord and taylor was in early 1995 when I went to the natick mall. does anyone know what is going on with lord and taylor.

KyleRF

that was the same i saw one too. no updates yet from me, except for private owners are looking at buying lord and taylor for $1.2 billion

KyleRF

Lord and Taylor:

Lord and Taylor began in New York in 1826 as a small dry goods store. Samuel Lord and his cousin George Washington Taylor, immigrants to New York, located their first Lord and Taylor store near the North River waterfront in New York?s Greenwich Village.

KyleRF

What's going on with Lord and Taylor? Any updates?

d_fife

by sandra guy of http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-lord06.html

Future looks dim for Lord and Taylor

June 6, 2006

BY SANDRA GUY Business Reporter Advertisement

Bidders seeking to buy the Lord & Taylor department store chain include names familiar to Chicagoans for their store closings.

Federated Department Stores, which acquired Lord & Taylor at the same time it bought Marshall Field's, is reportedly interested in a joint bid from Schottenstein Stores Corp. and Kimco Realty Trust, according to Women's Wear Daily magazine.

Kimco and Schottenstein are two members of a five-member group that bought 26 Cub Foods stores in the Chicago area six months ago.

The bidders' names sound an ominous note for Lord & Taylor stores because the companies are known for closing poorly performing stores and selling the property.

Kimco also owns strip malls, and Schottenstein owns about 25 percent of American Eagle Outfitters' shares.

A second joint bid is said to come from Cerberus Capital Management and Sun Capital Partners, which were part of a consortium that purchased the Mervyn's department stores from Target Corp., Women's Wear Daily reported Monday.

The third joint bid reportedly comes from Texas Pacific Group and Warburg Pincus, which last year successfully bid to take over Neiman Marcus stores, according to Women's Wear Daily.

Federated declined comment on the bidding process.

Retail analyst Howard Davidowitz believes the Lord & Taylor store at Water Tower Place has a dim future.

The store space could be split among fast-growing retailers such as Williams-Sonoma and Bed Bath & Beyond, or it could be sold to a fast-growing retailer such as Target, said Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a New York retail consulting and investment banking firm.

"Federated would prefer a strategic buyer for Lord & Taylor, as long as it's not Nordstrom," he said Monday.

Nordstrom is a rival to Federated's Bloomingdale's and, in some cases, Macy's stores.

"As far as the nameplate, I don't think Lord & Taylor is viable anymore," Davidowitz said.

Another possible replacement for the Lord & Taylor store at Water Tower Place is Von Maur, an Iowa-based department-store chain that is expanding in the Chicago area, said a source who asked not to be identified.

Federated is divesting 80 department stores it acquired in its $11.5 billion takeover of the May Department Stores Co. of St. Louis last August.

It also is closing five Lord & Taylor Department Stores in late July or early August, leaving 49 to be sold. A single Lord & Taylor store in downtown Philadelphia is being converted to a Macy's.

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

KyleRF

Finally I can sleep tonight happily. :bigsmile:

d_fife

Finally I can sleep tonight happily. :bigsmile:

that is nice

WAs lord and taylor headed for bankruptcy and what was their problems, like they downsized a few times? AND WHAT GETS ME IS THEY CLOSED THE ONES IN THE CROSSGATES MALL AND PROVIDENCE PLACE!!!! and none are in ohio.

jmn3

Lord & Taylor's problems over the past decade have been multi-faceted.  The biggest issues were that May expanded the chain across the country, and at the same time cheapened the selection of merchandise in the stores.  The stores that were closed were closed due to low profitability.  

May's biggest problem with L&T was that they did nothing to differentiate it from the other chains in their portfolio.  Much of the merchandise at L&T was also found at Kaufmann's/Filene's/Hecht's/etc.  L&T was always a high-end, luxury retailer, and should be treated as such.  Those other May stores, along with their new identity, Macy's, are more of a mid-to-high retailer.  L&T should compete with Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, etc.  

Since 2003 they have been making efforts to improve the store's selection and image - from what I can see they have made great improvements, but will have to continue doing more in order to survive.  Nice to see the chain is going to survive - for now anyway.  Lord & Taylor is the only surviving name from the former Associated Dry Goods Co. that May bought out in 1986.

KyleRF

Maybe after all of this analysis, the chain will expand again. That would be very nice.

There was a Lord and Taylor in Ohio by the way, at the Polaris Fashion Place, but it closed last year. Hopefully Lord and Taylor will open up in Ohio again.

If anyone has any news about store openings or closings, please let me know.

P.S.-This is my 100th post!!!!!!

d_fife

Maybe after all of this analysis, the chain will expand again. That would be very nice.

There was a Lord and Taylor in Ohio by the way, at the Polaris Fashion Place, but it closed last year. Hopefully Lord and Taylor will open up in Ohio again.

If anyone has any news about store openings or closings, please let me know.

P.S.-This is my 100th post!!!!!!

well last spring they announced closing 5 stores. them expanding again may not be for another few years

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
Lord & Taylor's problems over the past decade have been multi-faceted.  The biggest issues were that May expanded the chain across the country, and at the same time cheapened the selection of merchandise in the stores.  The stores that were closed were closed due to low profitability.  

May's biggest problem with L&T was that they did nothing to differentiate it from the other chains in their portfolio.  Much of the merchandise at L&T was also found at Kaufmann's/Filene's/Hecht's/etc.  L&T was always a high-end, luxury retailer, and should be treated as such.  Those other May stores, along with their new identity, Macy's, are more of a mid-to-high retailer.  L&T should compete with Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, etc.  

Since 2003 they have been making efforts to improve the store's selection and image - from what I can see they have made great improvements, but will have to continue doing more in order to survive.  Nice to see the chain is going to survive - for now anyway.  Lord & Taylor is the only surviving name from the former Associated Dry Goods Co. that May bought out in 1986.

well ADG has already lost caldor and venture what outher stores did they have ?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

beachgal26

I was so surprised to hear of all the stuff going on regarding this chain.  I have never lived in an area that had them, but visited one for the first (and last, I guess) time while in Atlanta in 2001.  It was a beautiful store in a high-end mall in the trendy Buckhead area.

Does this mean that they will be sold and closed or re-named as another chain?  Good luck to all of you who love it so!!

:D :bigsmile: ;)

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
well ADG has already lost caldor and venture what outher stores did they have ?

The original American (later Associated) Dry Goods Co. was comprised of four stores that merged operations in 1916:
Hahne's in Newark
Hengerer's in Buffalo
Lord & Taylor in NYC
Stewart's in Baltimore

Over the years, some other stores that were part of ADG:
Robinson's in LA (semi-survives as Robinson-May until they change to Macy's)
Sibley's in Rochester
JN Adam in Buffalo (closed in 1960 so that ADG could focus on one chain in the market - Hengerer's)
LS Ayers - still exists until Macy's conversion
Horne's in Pittsburgh
Goldwater's in Phoenix

...and a number of others.  The wikipedia website has a lot of info on the company and the stores that were part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Dry_Goods

Caldor1999

hears teh LT in teh danbury mall it was teh last ancore to open back in 1991
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

lord and taylor in syracuse ny as of March 22, 2006 (I was there for spring break) and it opened 1994.

d_fife

Lord and taylor in the eastview mall in victor NY (20 minutes south of Rochester) and just off rt. 90. it opened 1994.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Lord and taylor in the eastview mall in victor NY (20 minutes south of Rochester) and just off rt. 90. it opened 1994.

victor one