Giant-Carlisle

Started by storehistoryguy, December 14, 2005, 12:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

This is the logo they use on there labels, not on the store.

http://www.ahold.com/index.asp?id=463

store215

There is also Giant stores in Maryland, which are connected to the other Giant chain, but have a seperate logo, store designs, etc... The giant stores in Maryland are just now Stop & Shop clones, while the Giant (or Martins) chain in PA is ran seperately.

Both chains are owned by Royal Ahold.

Giant MD:

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
The one in Levittown Pa. here opened during the 70's I believe.

http://www.arcwheeler.com/opportunityfund/giantfoodstore.php
This Giant Food store in Levittown, Pa has closed and replaced by a Giant Food/Pharmacy Super store that's less than a mile west from this location.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

beachgal26

Giant Food stores were the best thing in the MD/VA/DC area during the 70's and 80's and apparently they have fallen on hard times as many of the stores have begun to close in the MD/VA area.  (More info available on the DC Grocery forum.)

In their day, they were spotless and all employees were trained to be very friendly and answer all questions with a smile.  They were the first store that I remember to offer double coupons on certain days of the week in the 70's!

:yup:

standa

Giant (of PA) opened a new store in Willow Grove, PA today.  Their website has a good video of their store.  It is 97,000 square feet and appears to be a lot nicer than the supermarkets of Connecticut.  What do you think?

www.giantfoodstores.com/GO/willowgrove/VIDEO/index.html

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
Giant (of PA) opened a new store in Willow Grove, PA today.  Their website has a good video of their store.  It is 97,000 square feet and appears to be a lot nicer than the supermarkets of Connecticut.  What do you think?

www.giantfoodstores.com/GO/willowgrove/VIDEO/index.html
This Giant (PA) location is actually called "Super Giant".  The first one is located in Carlisle, PA.

This is not to be confused with Giant (MD)'s "Super Giant [Better known as Super G] stores that were in DE and NJ before being converted to Stop & Shop, and then sold off

store215

The first "Super Giant (PA)" was actually in Camp Hill, not Carlisle.
I haven't seen this store yet (probably check it out this weekend..I live a few minutes away), but from what I can tell, it is just a regular Giant with other "extras" thrown inside. It still cannot beat the 130,000 square foot Wegmans a few miles up the road. Giant is becoming way too "GIANT" in the area. They have a store less than 2 miles away (a very tiny "Giant"...it was an independent for many years and was bought by Giant in 2006 when Clemens Family Markets sold off their stores), and two other locations only a few miles from the new store.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
The first "Super Giant (PA)" was actually in Camp Hill, not Carlisle.
I haven't seen this store yet (probably check it out this weekend..I live a few minutes away), but from what I can tell, it is just a regular Giant with other "extras" thrown inside. It still cannot beat the 130,000 square foot Wegmans a few miles up the road. Giant is becoming way too "GIANT" in the area. They have a store less than 2 miles away (a very tiny "Giant"...it was an independent for many years and was bought by Giant in 2006 when Clemens Family Markets sold off their stores), and two other locations only a few miles from the new store.
My mistake.  I asume it would be in Carlisle, which is where Giant (PA) started.:dizzy:

rocky1938

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Harrisburg, Pa.

http://www.tbrendanoreilly.com/UnionDepositCorp.htm

Linglestown, actually (north of Harrisburg).  Incidentally, this store has been remodeled several times (last time just a few years ago), yet Giant is building a new store nearby and planning to dump this one.

MikeRa

I believe ahold will not change the "Giant" brand labet from it's current look because it's used it bothe the Giant (PA) and Giant (MD) stores, unless they decide to use the "Stop & Shop" brand in the Giant (MD) stores.:yup:

CTAmeshopper

Well, one or both of the Giant store logos will change, it's clear, it's on the website.

http://www.giantfood.com/

http://www.giantfoodstores.com/?CFID=24056278&CFTOKEN=97676853&jsessionid=923067619ea7d5b74126TR

there's two of them.

one of them will get the new logo.

MikeRa

It's the Giant (MD), as well as Stop & Shop's logo that have changed.  Giant (PA)'s logo has not changed.

Mobil

My Giant is a former Bradlees (also Jefferson Ward, and Two Guys). Interesting because Stop & Shop owned Bradlees. This store opened in 2002 and has just been remodeled. :huh: Must be planned obsolescence. One time I saw trucks at Giant with the Giant-Landover logo painted over! :holysh::huh::insane: One of these stores was just built on the site of a former Home Depot that moved and was demolished.

MikeRa

The "Giant" brand has now been split into two different Giant brands.  The Giant(MD) and Stop & Shop uses this type of packaging now:

and Giant (PA) still uses the old packaging, with the current "Giant" PA logo in place of the combined Giant logo:

MikeRa

Giant [PA] acquired the Genuardi's locations in Feasterville, PA and Warrington, PA from Safeway.  These two Genuardi's will close this Saturday, November 13 @ 6Pm, and reopened as Giant early next year.

MikeRa

The Giant store at 700 Stony Hill Road, in Yardley, PA, celebrated it's Grand Re-Opening this past Sunday, March 6, 2011

EddieJ1984

Giant in Feasterville, PA opens this wednesday, March 16th at 8am.

MikeRa

Here is the complete list of the 15 Genuardi's stores that Safeway sold to Ahild USA and will convert to Giant [PA]:

Phase 1 stores close June 28 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 8 at 8 a.m.

•1375 Boot Road, West Chester
•737 Huntingdon Pike, Huntingdon Valley
•2395 York Road, Jamison
•830 E. Baltimore Pike, Kennett Square
•467 Sumneytown Pike, North Wales, PA
•Pharmacies will close at 6 p.m. on June 28 and will re-open at 1 p.m. on June 30

Phase 2 stores close July 5 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 15 at 8 a.m.

•50 E. Wynnewood Road, Wynnewood, PA
•1121 Bethlehem Pike, Spring House
•950 Baltimore Pike, Springfield
•310 S. Henderson Pike, King of Prussia
•2350 Susquehanna Road, Roslyn
•Pharmacies will close at 6 p.m. July 5 and will re-open at 1 p.m. on July 7

Phase 3 stores close July 12 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 22 at 8 a.m.

•1844 Bethlehem Pike, Flourtown
•1925 Norristown Road, Maple Glen
•168 N. Flowers Mill Road, Langhorne
•4275 County Line Road, Chalfont
•550 E. Lancaster Avenue, St. Davids
•Pharmacies will close at 6 p.m. July 12 and will re-open at 1 p.m. on July 14

MikeRa

The Giant [MD] at Rosewick Road & US Route 301, in LaPlatta, MD, has a Giant [PA] building design

MikeRa

The GIANT in Bensalem has been renovating it's interior to the current Ahold USA design.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Are Giant and Giant Eagle Supermarkets both related somehow? Giant Eagle is based out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

JoshAustin610

They're separate chains; if Giant-PA has a store too close to the Giant Eagle area, they'll use the "Martin's" name.

retailisking

Giant-PA also used the Martin's name when they took over Ukrop's in the Richmond, VA area.