RailRoad Salvage Stores

Started by JimSawhill, December 11, 2005, 07:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

Are those Stores still around? I know Wethersfield has a Railroad Salvage, which was an old Bradlee's. I believe there are three left.
     Any Connecticut people can help me? Thanks

Jim

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
Are those Stores still around? I know Wethersfield has a Railroad Salvage, which was an old Bradlee's. I believe there are three left.

Jim

What do they have there? Compare it to another store. Is it like a Bradlees or a Dollar General?

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

Jim

What do they have there? Compare it to another store. Is it like a Bradlees or a Dollar General?

They sell Close-outs like bigLots does. People in Connecticut should remember -- Rudy Vine and Choo-choo...Rudy was the owner of RSS.

AmesNewington

RRS used to be in the Webster Square Shopping Center in Berlin CT. They closed in the early '90s. The building was converted in to a nice A&P Super Foodmart. The Woolworth store next door burned down in April 1997, and still remains an empty space.

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
RRS used to be in the Webster Square Shopping Center in Berlin CT. They closed in the early '90s. The building was converted in to a nice A&P Super Foodmart. The Woolworth store next door burned down in April 1997, and still remains an empty space.

FoodMart is still going strong at WebsterSquare? That is good to hear if they are. Now, I remember RRS in Berlin -- and I believe it was where FoodMart is now. I think it was a WT GRANT's before it was RRS.

dayville81

Railroad Salvage Stores is a lower end department store. They sold a good deal of furniture. They used to have a good-sized store in Groton on Route 184 next to the Groton Square. This shopping center was one of the "newer" Bradlees built in the 90's and was anchored by Super Stop and Shop as well. Bradlees is now a Kohl's.
Sold a variety of merchandise, a couple levels below Ocean State Job Lot. Before the store closed and demolished, there were buckets everywhere collecting rainwater from the roof. I remember seeing caution tape blocking part of an aisle before they liquidated the store because of a gushing of water coming from ceiling tile. The entire site was filled and now has Wal-Mart.

Marc82

They moved their Berlin Store to the former Sears Outlet store at the Bristol Centre Mall in Bristol. Old Man Rudy Vine got sick turned the comapany over to his kids and they bankrupt it. They closed their Bristol store and nearly all the others. I think they're just in Waterbury and Whethersfield now. I believe they also just sell furniture now. Occasionally I buy a copy of the Waterbury newspaper and I see their flyer in it and it's all furnitute. What a great mall that was in Bristol. *sarcasim* Rail Road Salvage as one anchor. Ocean State Job Lot as the other.:flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming:

d_fife

Jim

what do they sell? I don't remmeber noiticing any when I was in CT

Marc82

Accrding to YP.YAHOO.COM there are three Raildroad Salvage stores left:

70 Britannia Street Meriden, CT (203) 235-5721

201 Thomaston Avenue Waterbury, CT (203) 755-4149

1131 Campbell Avenue West Haven, CT (203) 933-5468

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc82 on August 12, 2006, 12:09:00 PM
Accrding to YP.YAHOO.COM there are three Raildroad Salvage stores left:

70 Britannia Street Meriden, CT (203) 235-5721

201 Thomaston Avenue Waterbury, CT (203) 755-4149

1131 Campbell Avenue West Haven, CT (203) 933-5468

It is sick that only 3 stores are still around... if that!! I remember the old Railroad Salvage in East Windsor with the huge model train layout...(At the time it was the biggest model layout in exsistence). Oh well...hope they are still around..(if not I might use the name if I start a store)

ynkeesfn82

Jim. They're gone completely. And Rubie Vine passed on last year.

Bdubs

I recently heard about him passing away.  I found a video on YouTube!  At the end it had a list of locations, and it said there was one in Groton.  Wonder where that was.

http://youtu.be/bHUyxqyhIFU

standa

I think at least the West Haven, CT store is still open.

JimSawhill

Quote from: d_fife on August 09, 2006, 03:48:43 PM

Jim

what do they sell? I don't remmeber noiticing any when I was in CT

What they sold was closeouts insurance claims....The East Windsor, CT store had some nice furniture....but i was mostly into the model railroad layout.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 18, 2012, 04:19:37 PM
Jim. They're gone completely. And Rubie Vine passed on last year.

:( :( :( :( :(

What can I say??  Another regional store gone!!!

JimSawhill

Quote from: standa on April 19, 2012, 12:14:48 PM
I think at least the West Haven, CT store is still open.

If anyone can check for me... let me know, please!!!

ynkeesfn82

Jim,

6 years ago I posted the phone number. Give them a call. (203) 933-5468.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 19, 2012, 03:00:36 PM
Jim,

6 years ago I posted the phone number. Give them a call. (203) 933-5468.

I will... Thanks...

ynkeesfn82

They are still open on Campbell Avenue in West Haven!!!!! Mom and I live in Southington and our new neighbor who used to live in Naugatuck is on vacation this week and told us we can keep her newspapers. She gets the Waterbury Paper - The Republican-American and there was a sales flier in the paper yesterday for Railroad Stores. They're a furniture store now. Location given was 1130 Campbell Ave West Haven.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on November 13, 2015, 08:50:30 AM
They are still open on Campbell Avenue in West Haven!!!!! Mom and I live in Southington and our new neighbor who used to live in Naugatuck is on vacation this week and told us we can keep her newspapers. She gets the Waterbury Paper - The Republican-American and there was a sales flier in the paper yesterday for Railroad Stores. They're a furniture store now. Location given was 1130 Campbell Ave West Haven.

Yes, I'm glad at least 1 is still around...