Nobody Beats The Wiz

Started by Caldor1999, December 01, 2005, 02:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

any one rememebr this store???  they were veresy simaler to Silo or a best buy they clsoed all tehre locations in 2002 or it might have been 2003   hears a picture
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

AmesNewington

We had one in Newington from 1994 to 1999 approx. It was next to Bradlees. In 2001, they tore it down as well as Bradlees and built the Wal-Mart. Where the Wiz was is now parking spaces. Bradlees is Wal-Mart and Bassett Furniture. We got a small TV from NBTW in 1995. To this day, we have it, but it's not being used. It's in good condition.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
We had one in Newington from 1994 to 1999 approx. It was next to Bradlees. In 2001, they tore it down as well as Bradlees and built the Wal-Mart. Where the Wiz was is now parking spaces. Bradlees is Wal-Mart and Bassett Furniture. We got a small TV from NBTW in 1995. To this day, we have it, but it's not being used. It's in good condition.

there was one in Danbury CT it was right across teh stret from the caldor there witch is now a kohls idk what happend to that one but im sure its something else now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

I've never been to one of these stores but they were mentioned on one episode of Seinfeld were Elaine's boyfriend played "The Wiz" in the commercials for the store and he was struting around at the coffee shop saying, "I'm the wiz, I'm the wiz!! I'm the wiz and nobody beats be!!" It was so freakin' funny! :insane::insane:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
I've never been to one of these stores but they were mentioned on one episode of Seinfeld were Elaine's boyfriend played "The Wiz" in the commercials for the store and he was struting around at the coffee shop saying, "I'm the wiz, I'm the wiz!! I'm the wiz and nobody beats be!!" It was so freakin' funny! :insane::insane:

lol i rememebr that:insane: but alot of stores sure did beet the wiz lol
Caldor Forever!

AmesNewington

I found a pic of the Newington Wiz store. This was from 2000, and you can see the WIZ marks on the building.

TRU7536

Hey AmesNewington, how did you find the Wiz Store of Newington store pic, that is so cool, you got one of the old Bradlees of Newington to?

Caldor1999

yea i was wondering that too
Caldor Forever!

AmesNewington

the link to the site I found them on is on the Bradlees thread. I found every building you can imagine on this site. It is a dream come true in some ways.

Enjoy!

XISMZERO

If anyone's seen the movie "Rent" which came out this year, there's a "Nobody Beats the Wiz" on one of the streets. I pointed this out seeing how obsessed with retail I am :)
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

the link to the site I found them on is on the Bradlees thread. I found every building you can imagine on this site. It is a dream come true in some ways.

Enjoy!

i was wondring do u think i can find a link for my town that might have something simaler liek taht becasue im going crazy finding a picture of my caldor
Caldor Forever!

AmesNewington

Sorry, I haven't had any luck looking for other towns. I wanted to find Berlin because of the Woolworth's store, but all they have is Plainville, Danbury? and a few MA towns. Type in the site name in Google and your town MAY be there.

Caldor1999

Sorry, I haven't had any luck looking for other towns. I wanted to find Berlin because of the Woolworth's store, but all they have is Plainville, Danbury? and a few MA towns. Type in the site name in Google and your town MAY be there.

im sure someone has a pic of it but any was the only wiz store i knew of and went to was the one in danbury ct i dont know what it is now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
If anyone's seen the movie "Rent" which came out this year, there's a "Nobody Beats the Wiz" on one of the streets. I pointed this out seeing how obsessed with retail I am :)

lol i saw it to the movie was based in 1989 1990 from what i heard
Caldor Forever!

Marc82

Marc82

And apparently Nobody Beats The Wiz is now an online retailer:

http://www.thewiz.com/

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

lol i saw it to the movie was based in 1989 1990 from what i heard
Me also. My sister told me it was based around 1993. Also, there's an unknown shopping cart in one of the beginning parts.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

FearlessSwan

Norwalk, CT. Opened around 90/91. Site was originally a Kmart, then Rickels Home Improvement, now a Best Buy. I've been inside this store in each of its different incarnations, except the Best Buy. (Was still a Wiz when I moved out of the area in 98).