Main Menu

Deb's

Started by DutchessMallMan, September 06, 2005, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchessMallMan

Hey Everyone! I know some of us, may or maynot know of this store because this is a specialty mall store, but I thought it is a retail business, and it is fading, so I thought because of its history it deserves discussion. If any of us are women, or have women in our family who liked Deb you will remember back in the 90's standing or sitting next to 4-5 other men waiting for their wives, girlfriends, daughters or even mistresses to finish shopping. Then you will remember that Deb was a anchor store in 90's fashion for women, because if you were a popular girl you went to Deb's. As a guy I got so very tired of hearing all the girls buz with those statements,hehe. Well, anyways Deb opened one of its first stores in the Dutchess Mall back when the mall first opened. The store did so well, it stayed the entire live span durration of the mall until most of the anchor and smaller stores left. Deb's became a regional store in 1995, and opened its 45 store in 1996. By 1999 Deb's had over 100 locations. Today, I believe there is maybe two or three locations holding on for dear life. This massive 5-6 year downscale is because first of all Deb's didn't keep up with the times and even though their clothes are now modern even offering some male clothes in their stores, the actual disign of the store looks as hip as moon shoes and parishute pants do today. With fierce competition from H&M, Old-Navy and even the GAP, the days are deffinitely numbered for the ladies old Deb. The remaining two locations that I am aware of are the Cristal Mall, in Waterford, Connecticut and the Auburn Mall, in Auburn Massachusetts. I am sure these two locations will be closed soon, wonce the malls change their demographics, because of the Federated-May merger changing Filenes into Macys and leaving empty available store fronts. I have some pictures to post from the 80's of inside the Dutchess Mall store, and some pictues of the store after it closed. I will post them soon, they will be a laugh. Enjoy & Discuss! ;):roll::goodidea:

Zayre88

Deb still has stores at the Auburn Mall, Augusta Marketplace, Bangor, Presque Isle and Mall Plaza in Maine.  Only 1 store left in NH in Salem.

Picture of the sign at the Mall Plaza:

powersbt

There is still a DEB store at Sangertown Square Mall in New Hartford NY. Located in the Sears Wing.

Jag67

There's a Deb located in The Eastern Hills Mall in Amherst, Ny. There was also one in the Mckinley Mall in Hamburg, NY last time I was there in 2003.

Caldor1999

there was one in the Jefferson Valley mall but it closed last winter
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Deb has stores in every single mall I can think of around here...

tokensafari

They have a store in the Huntington Mall as well

BillyGr

www.debshops.com - you can look up by zip code to see where stores are still

beachgal26

I have not seen any of then since we moved south (TN), but I do know the one that was in Century III Mall in Pittsburgh, PA is still alive and well.

Caldor1999

there was one in the jefferson valley mall NY but i think that one clsoed to
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Ameskid

In Cincinnati, I think we have a Deb in Eastgate Mall.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Crawford

The DEB is still present in the Swansea Mall in Massachusetts
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

store215

A brand new Deb just opened up in the Neshaminy Mall in Bensalem, PA...actually it was always in the mall, it just moved to a larger spot.

beachgal26

I visited the store in Century III Mall outside of Pittsburgh, PA many times in 80's until we moved south.  After that, I never saw another one in malls and wondered if it was a northern chain.

Interesting fact - while going through my collection of store bags, I found that I still have one that would have been from around the early 80's!

:D ;) :bigsmile:

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Toys4Joy

Deb was great for it's purple carpeting and green lights.  I always thought that place was cool and funky back in the day.

GothicPrincess

LaVale, MD in some mall, I'm not from there but I was visiting with a friend and we ended up there...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Deb's should be moved to "Stores" since they're not dead yet.

EscheAmes

There current Logo now

Pikapower

Deb at Eastern Hills Mall just shortly before the chain closed all its stores last year!

I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Ameskid

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 10, 2009, 02:32:17 AM

I hate to break it to you, but we should move Deb's back to the closed chains since they're dead now!

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Pikapower on August 20, 2016, 05:22:04 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 10, 2009, 02:32:17 AM

I hate to break it to you, but we should move Deb's back to the closed chains since they're dead now!
Agreed.

Ameskid

The Deb in Florence Mall (photos above) ended up serving as a temporary home for Bath and Body Works during their renovation.  Everything is now complete and the space is empty once again.

Former DEB, Florence Mall by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

giantsfan2016

I don't have a picture as I haven't been to the mall lately, but the former Deb at the Meriden Square Mall is now another clothing store called "City Fashion".

TheFugitive

The Deb store in the Walmart plaza on PA Route 88 in Bethel Park has been torn down.

This was part of a strip center that included Walmart, Giant Eagle, Deb, Dollar Tree, and
Pep Boys.   Deb closed obviously, then the Dollar Tree moved into another plaza half a
mile down the road.

The strip mall was then split in two, with Walmart and Giant Eagle remaining on one
side of the wall, and Pep Boys becoming a stand alone store on the other end.  The
former Deb and Dollar Tree locations were razed.

The new open space has become added parking for the Giant Eagle store.

zonemad96

It's not really surprising that they went under almost all of their stores looked like they were stuck in the 90's. I remember going in one with my ex girlfriend and out of all the places she dragged me in I remember being particularly not amused at how dumpy the place felt. Another thing that also boggles my mind is the company still exists as a online retailer at www.debshops.com now that in itself is not surprising many defunct retailers still operate online, however what is surprising is they are selling only plus sized clothing. Women's clothing isn't like men's clothing it's very unforgiving when it comes to being off a size and sizes seem to vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. Maybe I'm totally off but I can't picture many plus sized women wanting to buy clothing off the internet let alone from a place that has the same name of a now defunct retail chain.

Pikapower

Was Deb's always a plus sized women's clothing store?