Main Menu

MY AMES

Started by Caldor99, January 08, 2005, 09:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor99

what did your ames look like ws it a Zayre Jamesway Kings Bradlees Caldor Or A Hills?
Hears what my ames looked like it was a kings at one time they r gonna tear it down for a hannaford super market that makes me MAD:flaming::mad:

Chris

Mine was supposedly a Gems Food Store? I'm not sure. My dad said his mother used to shop for food there in the 50s and 60s. That's why they tore down the existing Ames to build Price Chopper. The reason was due to the old deteriorating structure and plumbing, it would of costed more to fix up the building than re-build. I thought the store was in good shape. It looked very nice. The inside fixtures were just old. I really didn't understand that though.

store215

Mine was a caldor, it was in Warminster, PA and was only open a little over a year. its now a Burlington Coat Factory.

amesman

The Ames here in Kingston, was on the other side of town, in a plaza, away from the retail area. It was a Sears first, but, then the Hudson Valley Mall opened in 1981, and they moved the Sears store in the mall in 1986. Then, it became a Jamesway, and finally Ames. Now, it is vacant

amesman

A lot of the Ames stores in Albany are still vacant. But, the one in Rotterdam is now a boat showroom, and a Best Fitness, the one in Troy is a Big Lots. The one in Latham is now a Bon Ton, and the Saratoga one is now a Dollar Tree. All of the other Albany stores are still vacant.

Chris

I have a question. There's a plaza sign (attached) at the top of the Ames (Price Chopper) plaza. Do you think that Price Chopper will use that sign and put their sign in place of the Ames sign or replace the whole plaza sign and put their own up and include Dick's and Laser Quest on their sign. Just wondering because Vernon still has the original sign post up. I think they're going to put one on the other side of the plaza. Again this is the Newington store which is getting a Price Chopper in a few months.

tokensafari

I'd say they would use the current sign. Most stores, unless your Wal-Mart or someone keep the sign.

Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB here once again

SO FAR Ames in my area are up for lease or are being renovated

two locations closest:

Winsted Road, Torington up for lease

Winsted,CT being renovated to Tractor Supply CO.

SomeBeach

My Ames was never built. Currently it's a ~50K grassy field in a plaza, behind Glen's Supermarket. Don't know why it was never built. There is also another portion of this plaza that was never built -- on the opposite side, facing Glen's.

C. Fontaine

Could you take pictures?  That would be cool to see!

SomeBeach

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Could you take pictures?  That would be cool to see!

I'll try to once I get a new battery for my camera!

Rich

There's about 5 or 6 different Ames within a 40 minute drive from me... the only one that has been torn down is the one I used to frequent the most.  It was just torn down last summer to make way for a Tops International (a grocery store).

Most of the Ames in my area used to be Hills, but one I know for sure was a Zayre's and one was always just an Ames.

Zayre88

Not really MY Ames but here is a new pic of the lighted up Ames in Lewiston ME !

Caldor1999

i know of a Ames up in paling ny i only saw it once back in 1999 i dont know if its still there im gonna cheack it out sometime i wanna add something to the store locator
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Amesdepartmentstores

here is a pic of the ames warehouse in leesport pa:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amesdepartmentstores

here is another pic  of warehouse:o

Amesdepartmentstores

and another:saint:

Jag67

I FINALLY GOT A PIC OF OUR FORMER LOCAL AMES!!!!!

Here it is. Former Hills, built in 1966. Located in clarence mall (It's NOT a mall, it's a strip mall)

Jag67

tokensafari

You all can see my Ames' by going to the photo gallery page. THey include, Huntington, Wv (2 locations), Gallipolis & Ironton Ohio, and last but certainly not least... Ashland Ky.

PS: What has become of these warehouses?? Does anyone know?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
You all can see my Ames' by going to the photo gallery page. THey include, Huntington, Wv (2 locations), Gallipolis & Ironton Ohio, and last but certainly not least... Ashland Ky.

PS: What has become of these warehouses?? Does anyone know?

yea i saw your pictures i liek them and about the were house qustion i cant reallawswer but im sure omost of them will stay vacant i have a old Grand Union werehouse in my town that has been closed since 1995
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

hey Caldor...can you get a pic of the Grand Union? that would be awesome to see.

tokensafari

Take your pic... i have 6 or 7 Ames stores around here. All former hills locations of course!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
hey Caldor...can you get a pic of the Grand Union? that would be awesome to see.

acutley its all chained off i'll try sometiem that place is not going anywere and i dont think theres anything left from it theres a water tower there that had the logo on it buts its faded
Caldor Forever!

dayville81

Was Lewistown ME Ames Store high ceiling a result of being like that from a past store? What does the rest of the store look like? Is the store in a shopping center or standalone?

Crawford

My Ames was a former Zayre. The one on Route 44 in East Providence. As Zayre it originally had the individual red letters spelling out the name and then later the white lettering with the asterix. This one also had the Auto Center in the parking lot. This was a very good size store and I always made out no matter what I needed. Ames took it over, cleaned it up but took out the snack bar. I miss the Zayre hamburgers and hot dogs. There was an ancient Galaxian machine in there as well. This was one of the last Ames stores to close and is still vacant. My mother cried when this happened. The auto center is now a Hollywood Video store
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

StarSage

My Ames (Store #501, Painted Post, NY) was built as a Murphy's Mart. Ours was one of the stores that started off with the infamous red signage. When the store was converted the original entrance (with high facade) was walled in with a foot or so of the mats that once operated Murphy's automatic doors peeking out from under.

Although I was too young to remember the first business that occupied the building, I have many fond memories of school and Christmas shopping at Ames.

Our little area of upstate New York is a tribute in itself to the hey days of the great department stores. We had it all.. the Nichols (in Gang Mills) became a Pharmhouse, then a Big KMart.. and is now vacant, the King's (in Bath) became a Jamesway, and is now a True Value, the Zayre's (in Horseheads) was closed and became a Pharmhouse, and of course our Hills (in Horesheads) became an Ames. I'm not sure of the fate of the last two. Oh, and we had a Bradlees at the local Arnot Mall.

On a separate note.. in 1965 the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P Supermarkets) opened one of the largest food processing plants of it's time in Big Flats, NY. The facility ran until 1982 and in the 23 years since the realty company has had two or three fleeting tennants. Now the building is being demolished and there're already rumors that a new Walmart Supercenter will become THE anchor store of a future plaza. And there's already an original Walmart just down the road! I'm secretly hoping that Target will beat Wally World to the punch. We don't have any of their stores in that area of New York.

My claim to fame is that the photo of the Hills store on Zayre88's tribute site is from my old backyard.. Horseheads, New York.

dayville81

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
My Ames was a former Zayre. The one on Route 44 in East Providence. As Zayre it originally had the individual red letters spelling out the name and then later the white lettering with the asterix. This one also had the Auto Center in the parking lot. This was a very good size store and I always made out no matter what I needed. Ames took it over, cleaned it up but took out the snack bar. I miss the Zayre hamburgers and hot dogs. There was an ancient Galaxian machine in there as well. This was one of the last Ames stores to close and is still vacant. My mother cried when this happened. The auto center is now a Hollywood Video store
Have any pics of East Providence store? I saw the outside of it last year when driving down Route 44. It looked like it was in a bad end of town. But all the lights were on and they had a high roof in the front. Even the Ames sign was lit up. Is it still like that?

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
Have any pics of East Providence store? I saw the outside of it last year when driving down Route 44. It looked like it was in a bad end of town. But all the lights were on and they had a high roof in the front. Even the Ames sign was lit up. Is it still like that?

The www.amesfanclub.com images has a picture of the one in east providence.

I remember when the Zayre in Concord NH in the CApitol Plaza had a snack bar and an arcade. In the last few years of the Ames in Concord, it opened a snack bar when the inside was remodeled.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
A lot of the Ames stores in Albany are still vacant. But, the one in Rotterdam is now a boat showroom, and a Best Fitness, the one in Troy is a Big Lots. The one in Latham is now a Bon Ton, and the Saratoga one is now a Dollar Tree. All of the other Albany stores are still vacant.

I went to Albany and east greenbush last summer and I saw the ames in East greenbush vacant and it had the lettering off.