Main Menu

MY AMES

Started by Caldor99, January 08, 2005, 09:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomasher

You PA guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the following Ames stores:

- Roosevelt Boulevard and Haldeman Avenue in Philadelphia - previously a Caldor, now demolished with some of the strip stores for a Target Greatland.

- 700 East Hunting Park Avenue in Philadelphia - also a former Caldor, now I believe there's an AJ Wright over there somewhere.

- US 13 and PA 413 in Bristol - former Caldor, then I THINK this was an Ames, now a Wal-Mart.

- US 130 in Cinnaminson, NJ - I have pics of this on my website with its Ames signage, a former Clover that is now an Outlet Marketplace.

Now here are two that I'm a little fuzzy on, and they're not in the Philadelphia area:

- US 209 in Brodheadsville, PA - I know it WAS a Jamesway, I THINK it became an Ames, and the last time I checked, it's a bowling alley.

- US 322 near State College, PA - I drove past quickly in February, and I thought it still had its signage, or at least a good label scar.

Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong on any of these.

thegcinfo

Man that brings back memories. I grew up in East Providence and shopped at Ames and Zayres. I also worked at the Burger King across the street so I spent a lot of time there on breaks and before and after work. I can also remember shopping there with my mom and brother and sister so many times. However, towards the end of the store being open it got really crappy with a lot of merchandise no longer being stocked.

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
My Ames was a former Zayre. The one on Route 44 in East Providence. As Zayre it originally had the individual red letters spelling out the name and then later the white lettering with the asterix. This one also had the Auto Center in the parking lot. This was a very good size store and I always made out no matter what I needed. Ames took it over, cleaned it up but took out the snack bar. I miss the Zayre hamburgers and hot dogs. There was an ancient Galaxian machine in there as well. This was one of the last Ames stores to close and is still vacant. My mother cried when this happened. The auto center is now a Hollywood Video store

ihaveblueeyes

If I recall correctly, there was an Ames in Kendallville, Indiana.  This was during the 80's and early 1990's.  I think it later turned into a Wal-Mart, which moved to a new supercenter location.  Now it's a Rural King, an agricultural supply store.  
I think before it was an Ames it was a Murphy's Mart.  I don't know, but I'll have to ask my parents.

mikey1972

I would like to see my former Ames store in Ogdensburg, New York listed in the store locator.  It was located in the Park Plaza from 1971 until about 1993 (not sure of the date.)  I could take pictures of the building as it stands now and submit newspaper clippings from the store's opening in 1971 and when it closed.  I also have a clipping from the original store (#4 in the chain) when it was at 1857 Ford St. (the old silk mill).  This store closed when Ames moved to the plaza but I can still get photos.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.:huh:

C. Fontaine

I would be glad to add it!  I sent you a reply to your email about pictures, thanks!

jmcnamara96

HERE IS MY AMES IN LOWELL MASS

patk

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
Which part of Florida will you be moving to?  If you will be anywhere in the Kissimmee (Orlando) area, I would love to know what happened to the Ames that was located along the main drag of Irlo Bronson Highway.
i was down there back in oct and did not see 1 :huh:
wats the Addres #!

jmcnamara96

I also went to the one in derry nh

gu4ever

There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

TheFugitive

My AMES stores:

#291, Wauseon, Ohio - Have not been there in many years, but from Google Earth it appears
that the location is now a Chief Supermarket (Chief is a small local chain in NW Ohio).  The
building looks new, not a retrofit.  So I believe the Ames where I worked has been torn down.

#580, Hillsdale, Michigan - We shared the plaza with a Kroger store when I was there.  It appears
that Kroger has expanded and taken over most of the plaza, including the former Ames location. 
Store numbers that began with a "5" indicated a former G.C. Murphy location.

#414, Imlay City, MI - The location is now a Tractor Supply store.  One of their biggest and
nicest, I have seen it in television ads for TSC.  Ironically the store number was also the
date of the grand opening.....4/14/1989.

Ameskid

I'm still not entirely sure where all the Ames locations were in Cincinnati...there is one listed in the store locator, but I have heard that there are two more as well.

Upon doing a little searching, there was one at 3872 Paxton Avenue in Hyde Park, once a Bigg's and now a Remke, as well as a former Zayre in Western Woods Mall - this location became a HomeGoods, which moved down the road, and was eventually torn down with the rest of the mall.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/