Main Menu

Cambridge, OH

Started by C. Fontaine, November 13, 2007, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Here's some shots someone just sent me of the Cambridge, OH location.  Another one on it's way out, not from development but urban decay.

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/ames/stores/OH/cambridge/

This store has some history. I did some research and found this store was originally a Zayres, converted to Ames, then shuttered during the first bankruptcy.  Hills picked this location up and it was converted yet again nto an Ames, thus resulting in this location having two different store #'s!

d_fife

cambridge ohio zayre ames

Hudsons81

Very unusual to have a location that served two different stints as Ames following tenures as chains that Ames acquired. Were there any other locations that were like this?

TheFugitive

I sure can't think of any.  Ames tended to like small-town and rural locations (with the notable exception of Pittsburgh where they picked up a lot of more urban former GC Murphy locations).
Zayre definitely preferred more urban markets, and Hills tended towards that as well.

When I lived in Michigan we had Ames stores in Imlay City (pop. 3000) Fenton (pop. 10,000) and Caro (pop. 4000). Hills had stores in two Flint locations plus across the street from the Courtland Center Mall in Burton.  Not a lot of markets I can think of where all three would be competing for the same space.

TRJ_22487

Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 23, 2015, 07:12:16 PM
Very unusual to have a location that served two different stints as Ames following tenures as chains that Ames acquired. Were there any other locations that were like this?

I know of other stores that served two stints as Ames but not following chains they acquired (Rich's)