Frisch's Big Boy/Big Boy

Started by LazarusFan, August 20, 2005, 08:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazarusFan

Discuss the Frisch's/ Big Boy restaurant chain here.

Firsch's Big Boy is the only regional Big Boy chain left.  Every other chain is either out of business, has joined the larger pool of the Big Boy chain, or left the Big Boy chain.  This chain has more than 80 restaurants in Northern Kentucky, Southern & Central Ohio, and Indiana.

dooneyt63

I miss the days when Frisch's was more widespread.  We had them in Florida for many years.  Frisch's key difference is their use of the fabled Frisch's Tartar Sauce on the Big Boy Double Deck Burger rather than the Big Boy Sauce used in the other Big Boy operations.  In Florida, we also had some of the Marriott-operated Bob's Big Boy stores and some other Big Boy operators.  We also had at least one Big Boy in a former Howard Johnson; this, too, was part of the ill-fated Marriott takeover of Howard Johnson.  I saw one of these converted Howard Johnson stores back in 1988 or 89, maybe 1990, along Route 30 in Pennsylvania as well.

HoJofan206

Why did Mariott enter and quickly exit the restaurant industry?  They pretty much killed the Howard Johnson's name and then left that business market. :mad::flaming:

df559

There is ONE suriving Bob's Big Boy here in Fresno. My sister worked at one that is now closed back in the 80's. It was a "real" Big Boy with the fiberglass statue out front and everything. (The remaining location never had a huge statue outside, only a tiny one in the lobby) I still have my sister's name tag from there, though!

dooneyt63

Shortly after the Howard Johnson acquisition, Marriott made the decision to concentrate on the upscale Allie's coffee shop concept that was named to honor the senior Mrs. Marriott.  Almost immediately after that, the company decided to jettison the entire coffee shop and fast food business.  This included Howard Johnson, Big Boy, Allie's, and Roy Rogers as well as other smaller chains, and it also included the Hot Shoppes business in the Washington, D.C. metro area which was how Marriott got its start.  They were in business for over 50 years.  If I remember correctly, at the last gasp of Marriott's participation in the coffee shop business, they bought the Wag's chain of stand-alone restaurants from Walgreens.  The majority of the old Marriott operations are gone now.  I did see Marriott using the Alllie's name for the casual restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the Houston Airport Marriott back in 2000.  I don't know if it's still named Allie's or not, though this was well after their exit from the larger Allie's business.

store215

There are still some Big Boy restaurants around PA/NJ/DE on the turnpike..along with Roy Rogers in the rest areas that do not have a Burger King.

C. Fontaine

Wow, I remember the Big Boy in Auburn, MA.  Then it turned into an Abdow's, and now is a Bickfords...

df559

Here is a pic of our Big Boy, which will be closing on the 30th of the month:

df559

df559

And the Bob statue inside in the lobby:

df559

df559

Sideways view of the lobby area

df559

Part of the dining room and breakfast bar:

df559

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by dooneyt63
I miss the days when Frisch's was more widespread.  We had them in Florida for many years.  Frisch's key difference is their use of the fabled Frisch's Tartar Sauce on the Big Boy Double Deck Burger rather than the Big Boy Sauce used in the other Big Boy operations.  In Florida, we also had some of the Marriott-operated Bob's Big Boy stores and some other Big Boy operators.  We also had at least one Big Boy in a former Howard Johnson; this, too, was part of the ill-fated Marriott takeover of Howard Johnson.  I saw one of these converted Howard Johnson stores back in 1988 or 89, maybe 1990, along Route 30 in Pennsylvania as well.

I have never seen a big boy. Dr. evil's rocket ship on Austin Powers was big boy.

LazarusFan

Yeah the Big Boy International which includes Bob's hasn't been doing too well lately.  However, Frisch's is doing very well.  I've seen a Frisch's last month on a Sunday night and it was packed with people and the drive-thur was hoppin.

I do have a Big Boy piggy bank.

Rayco7030

i remeber big boy but now most of them have become bickfords,one bickford is a freindlys
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

backofthebtmdrwr

I miss big boy all of the ohio valley stores closed in 2000

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
And the Bob statue inside in the lobby:

what restuarant was big boy. They used this as product placement on Austin powers movies, Dr. Evil had this as a ship in the first movie and beginning of the second.

amesman

There are still Bob's Big Boy locations operating at the New York State Thruway service plazas, along with Roy Rogers, Sbarro, McDonald's, Burger King, etc.

d_fife

here is the roy rogers in the bensonhurst nwe york that is brooklyn in casears bay plaza

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/t_snapshot.pl?subNum=10213000033&tenNum=10213000033.0014

Ameskid

Frisch's Big Boy is still alive and well in the Ohio Valley region. Here's a vintage photo of a drive-in style Frisch's from 1958 (long gone now, replaced by a strip mall).  Photo courtesy of the Kenton County Public Library.

Of course, all of them are sit-down restaurants now - I don't know if there are any drive-ins left.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Hudsons81

We still have a good number of Big Boy restaurants across Metro Detroit-in fact, the headquarters for the main Big Boy chain are in Warren, Michigan, which date back to when our Big Boy chain was Elias Brothers. There is one in Wyandotte, Michigan, downtown at Biddle and Eureka. It's been around since 1970.

Hudsons81

Just noticed today that a new Big Boy sign had been put up on the building of the one in Wyandotte, MI. They also have a recently-installed within the past couple years large TV antenna on their roof.

Do any other Big Boys use TV antennas?

TheFugitive

Lotsa memories of lunches at the Elias Bros. Big Boy across the street from my Ames store in Imlay City.   Big Boy left Pittsburgh about a decade ago when Elby's crashed and burned.

I'll stop by Fritch's Big Boy for old times sake when I'm in Toledo visiting my daughter.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

In Wisconsin, we had Marc's Big Boy restaurants, which was owned by the Marcus Corporation of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They all became Annie's American Café and Perkins Restaurant in the mid-1990s.

ynkeesfn82

In Connecticut we had Abdow's Big Boy Restaurant. The one in Avon, Connecticut became Bickford's. I'm not sure what's there now. The one in New Britain, CT is now Kool Smiles Kids Dentist. Abdow's still owns the building on Myrtle Street. I believe it was briefly an Old Country Buffet and something else before it became Kool Smiles. There were other locations of Abdow's Big Boy in Connecticut, but I can't tell you where.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on November 13, 2015, 07:52:08 AM
In Connecticut we had Abdow's Big Boy Restaurant. The one in Avon, Connecticut became Bickford's. I'm not sure what's there now. The one in New Britain, CT is now Kool Smiles Kids Dentist. Abdow's still owns the building on Myrtle Street. I believe it was briefly an Old Country Buffet and something else before it became Kool Smiles. There were other locations of Abdow's Big Boy in Connecticut, but I can't tell you where.

I was thinking that the two (more or less) merged into Bickford's.

There was a place in West Springfield (on Riverdale Street) that closed which I believe was an Abdow location - on the corner across from one of the entries to the Stop & Shop plaza.  It's now a parking lot  Bickford already had a location up the street that is now Hooters (I believe - next to the former B'Sharas) so it didn't make sense to keep both open relatively close together.

Ameskid

Nifty jet-age sign from the Frisch's Big Boy in Fairfax, OH.  The propellers spin!

Frisch's Mainliner, Fairfax, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TheFugitive

Cool.  Big Boy has drive-thru now?
Eat n' Park restaurants in this area have been busily installing
drive-thrus for several years now.