Weis Markets

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 06:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

This was a small chain of supermarkets. The only ones I knew of were in Kingston, and in Newburgh, New York. They are both now closed. The one in Kingston is now a Homegoods, and a Modells.

store215

They're still around, and quite large in Maryland and Western Pennsylvania. There used to be a location in Montgomeryville, PA which is the furthest east they have been, it was in a dead shopping center and closed in 2000.

http://www.weismarkets.com/

amesman

BillyGr

Weis Markets also owned the Albany Public Markets chain in upstate New York - They bought it October 28, 1967 (see the 1967 Annual Report on www.weisproject.com) and was later sold to Grand Union (1980's I believe).  There were 5 stores at the time of purchase (Albany, Delmar, Latham, Menands and Rensselaer).

This is the store located in Menands - it is attached to the Two Guys store (photo on Two Guys page) - makes a long building for only two stores.  It stayed a GU for a few years after the purchase and then closed - and has been ever since (as far as I know).

BillyGr

Another of the original stores was the Rensselaer location.  This one was closed prior to the Grand Union purchase, and was later a toy store (owned by the Joy Store located next store - a local chain that had 3 stores and several toy stores at it's largest), then housed several things (mini golf, dance place, go garts , .... and lastly paintball) before being torn down a year or so ago - this is a shot of the site - the Grossman's Bargain I posted is to the left a little ways:

BillyGr

A third shot - this was (apparently) a later added store in East Greenbush (Routes 9&20) - it was a Grand Union for a short time after the sale until they built a new store on Route 4, then housed Big Al's (a discount place - kind of an odd lot or similar) and then was split as you see now for Fays (later Eckerd's) and the glasses place :

The others (out of the original 5):

- Albany was in Westgate Plaza - It became a SCOT'S (the only one I saw in this area) then GU and was vacant - the building has been demolished and was to the right of the current Price Chopper (in the corner).
- Delmar - I believe this building is still there and is offices - across and slightly down the street from Delaware Plaza
- Latham - Corner of Route 155 & Route 9 - it is the section that is currently Office Max.
- 1 More - I seem to remember (from way back) that the WalMart side of the WalMart/Ames combo in Glens Falls was a Weis based (probably Albany Public) store - which would have made more sense alongside a discount store than thw two discount stores
- Others - They had other locations, but I can't think of any at the moment

amesman

Was the Glenville Grand Union next to the Big Kmart an Albany Public Market?

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
This was a small chain of supermarkets. The only ones I knew of were in Kingston, and in Newburgh, New York. They are both now closed. The one in Kingston is now a Homegoods, and a Modells.

Weis is still alive and well. I knew a very old Weis once. It was in Five Points Plaza in Lansdale Pa. The building no longer exsists. I miss it. Up until it was shut down in 2001, the still sold doughnuts for 25 cents each. They knocked down the entire Five Points Plaza for a Lowes. *sigh* :flaming: My mother worked in the center at the Job-Lot and my aunt at the Bradlees, both worked there in the early ninties. Also another aunt of mine worked at the Builder Square in there in the 80's.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
This is one of my two Weis. This one is still open and opened in 1984 in Lansdale Pa. My other Weis, also in Lansdale but a different store, opened in the early 70s and closed in 1999 and kocked down in 2004 for a Lowe's. :flaming: Everything original inside up to the end too.

http://www.weisproject.com/

It amazes me that Weis still has a store there with competition from at least 3 nearby Clemens (although Clemens is pricey), Redners, and Genuardi's, and it is really not anywhere near any other Weis.

And storehistoryguy, are you familiar with the Chalfont area at all? The two current grocery stores in that town now are a Genuardi's and an Acme, but there is one large store in a shopping center that i'm not certain what it was. It's currently some fitness place (219 West Butler Avenue). I'm guessing is was Super Fresh or maybe it was never a supermarket, but I can't find any info.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
This is one of my two Weis. This one is still open and opened in 1984 in Lansdale Pa. My other Weis, also in Lansdale but a different store, opened in the early 70s and closed in 1999 and kocked down in 2004 for a Lowe's. :flaming: Everything original inside up to the end too.

http://www.weisproject.com/

It amazes me that Weis still has a store there with competition from at least 3 nearby Clemens (although Clemens is pricey), Redners, and Genuardi's, and it is really not anywhere near any other Weis.

And storehistoryguy, are you familiar with the Chalfont area at all? The two current grocery stores in that town now are a Genuardi's and an Acme, but there is one large store in a shopping center that i'm not certain what it was. It's currently some fitness place (219 West Butler Avenue). I'm guessing is was Super Fresh or maybe it was never a supermarket, but I can't find any info.

That was originally an Acme, but closed a long time before the other Acme opened. It didn't last very long at all.

store215

Weis also owns the Superpetz chain of pet stores. (It looks like they have offices or some kind of mailing address in Hatfield, PA which is sort of odd because there are no Superpetz in the Eastern part of PA and it also isn't near any of Weis' offices.)

BillyGr

This is a shot of what the Kingston store looks like now.

All it needs is a brown overhang roof!

StarSage

I was under the impression that this chain had been either acquired or run out of business by Wegman's. Most of the locations I knew (including Elmira, NY) have been turned into Wegman's

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

amesman

The Kingston store used to be a King's Department store. Weis took it over and remodeled the store. An interesting note, there was a Mammoth Mart in that same plaza, and when it closed, it was not taken up by Kings because the space was smaller than they wanted. The old Mammoth Mart is taken up by Marshalls and a local party store, and the King's/Weis is now of course, a Homegoods and Modell's as seen above.

Ameskid

I just passed one in Randallstown, Maryland the other day (I'm visiting my grandparents). They look kind of small.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

patk

i got a Weis in a shopping center with a LNT and a CC :holysh:

retailisking

Interesting history of this location here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3981645077/

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110118/NEWS02/101180312

Weis Markets will close its East Stroudsburg supermarket in late February.

And even though shoppers on Monday acknowledged they have other places to buy groceries, many said they'll miss this store, which is in the same shopping center as Kmart.

"It was small, and not too crazy. It felt like a more intimate shopping experience," said Anita Yasdiman of East Stroudsburg, who was packing groceries into her car.

Weis, which operates seven supermarkets in Monroe County, is closing this one because it "has been under-performing for some time," said Weis spokesman Dennis Curtin.

Although a Walmart supercenter sits directly across from Weis, some shoppers said that it didn't make them feel any better.

"I come to this Weis in particular because they sell the Edy's vanilla-bean ice cream. Walmart does not have this ice cream," said Marsha Fleming of Mount Bethel.

Weis will try to find the 100 or so part- and full-time employees new jobs at other Weis stores, but nothing is certain yet, according to Curtin.

"They're all really good people in there. You never like to hear when stores with good people go out," said Glen Shook. The Marshalls Creek resident said he had been coming to this Weis to avoid the heavy traffic in Marshalls Creek where another Weis â€" one that's closer to his home â€" is located.

Other shoppers on Monday said that they were sad about the news because several assisted living centers are nearby, and this supermarket wasn't too far a walk or drive.

"What are the older folks going to do?" said Beth Mastin of Middlesex, N.J., who was shopping for her mother, who lives in East Stroudsburg.

Although there is no hard data to prove that the Walmart supercenter, which is about 100 yards away from Weis, ate into the supermarket's profits, the supermarket used to have "a ton more people going to it 20 years ago," said Donna Goethe, manager of Gertrude Hawk Chocolates, which is in the same shopping center.

The East Stroudsburg supermarket's last day will be Feb. 26.

MikeRa

Weis Markets will be opening 3 stores in SE Pennsylvania this upcoming Saturday, June 16, 2012.  All 3 stores are former Genuardi's locations

• Conshohocken: 200 West Ridge Pike (Genuardi's-Safeway #2662)
  • Doylestown: 73 Old Dublin Road (Opened as Genuardi Supermarket #21)
  • Norristown: 25 West Germantown Pike (Genuardi's-Safeway #3003)

Weis (Genuardi's) Conshohocken

Weis (Genuardi's) Doylestown

Weis (Genuardi's) Norristown
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

EddieJ1984

There's one in Huntington Valley now, used to be a pathmark.
When I was in there around 9pm I'm pretty sure I was the only one shopping. Also this is the first supermarket I've ever been in that sells beer in PA.

store215

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on March 07, 2014, 06:55:41 AM
There's one in Huntington Valley now, used to be a pathmark.
When I was in there around 9pm I'm pretty sure I was the only one shopping. Also this is the first supermarket I've ever been in that sells beer in PA.

This store is usually fairly busy during the day time (at least the few times I have shopped during the day). I have stopped in a few occasions at night for some beer, and yeah it is usually fairly quiet. (And unlike Wegmans in nearby Warrington which also sells beer, Weis sells it until Midnight. Wegmans closes their beer section at 10). Anyway, this store is definitely a huge improvement over the Pathmark which was briefly there. (It was a SuperFresh prior to that..which seemed to do more business. I don't know why A&P switched it to a Pathmark...it really didn't fit with the demographics of the area. I'm sure this Weis had hurt the nearby Acme on Davisville Rd. though (about a mile from this store). This has been a pretty poor-performing Acme since it opened in the late 2000's.

EddieJ1984

I think you could probably ask this for most of the superfresh's that switched to pathmark.

That acme opened in the late 2000's? Im surprised I would've thought it was an old acme considering its not that big (no u-scans I believe).
The Weis is very nice, good to hear it is busy during the day, never was in it as pathmark, since I started working up in warminster last july. I usually go to the southampton giant or the philadelphia one on the way home, then again I worked for giant for 2 and a half years so I'm biased :)

FitchMike26

According to this article, Weis Markets now sells beer in 18 different Pennsylvania locations.

They plan to sell it in several more location, too.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/weis-markets-in-lititz-becomes-first-grocery-store-in-lancaster/article_dbc1de82-a562-11e3-9fd2-0017a43b2370.html

store215

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on March 07, 2014, 10:24:54 PM

That acme opened in the late 2000's? Im surprised I would've thought it was an old acme considering its not that big (no u-scans I believe).
The Weis is very nice, good to hear it is busy during the day, never was in it as pathmark, since I started working up in warminster last july. I usually go to the southampton giant or the philadelphia one on the way home, then again I worked for giant for 2 and a half years so I'm biased :)

Actually, it was more like the mid-to late 2000's. Either way, it has never been a busy store. It was a relocation from Southampton (where the Maggio's/Retro Fitness is now, in the shopping center next to Giant. After Acme, the space was both a McCafrey's and a Fresh Grocer, but both lasted about a year before closing). There used to be a Thriftway in the strip-center portion that closed a year or two before Acme came in. I haven't been in there in a few years, but the last time, it was a summer afternoon on a Sunday, and they had exactly ONE checkout lane open with the cashier just twiddling his thumbs.
I worked for Giant for a year as well...it was a pretty awful experience and I pretty much refuse to shop there unless it is an emergency.

FitchMike26

Here's a photo, and a little more info about the Warminster ACME:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/5446371410/

FitchMike26

Weis Markets has announced plans to purchase 5 Mars Supermarkets in Baltimore County, MD.

The stores are located in Arbutus, Carney, Essex, and two stores in Dundalk. The sale will close in about 8 weeks, and the stores will convert to the Weis banner in August.

Mars currently owns 13 locations in Greater Baltimore, but did not announce plans yet for it's 8 remaining stores.

Weis currently operates 25 locations in Maryland, and this purchase will bring the total count to 30 stores.

More info here:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-weis-buying-mars-supermarkets-20160524-story.html

mixedday

TheFugitive

Pennsylvania Liquor Laws step boldly into the 20th Century!   ;D