Burger King

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: retailisking on December 05, 2014, 12:32:42 AM
BK seems to be throwing every conceivable thing against the wall in an attempt to get it to stick. By contrast, McDonald's sticks to its strategy of modularity, building new products out of parts that are already in-house (Triple Cheeseburger, anyone?)

Maybe so, but burgers at McD's are much smaller than the burgers at BK.

jamesway_95

Here's the ad retailisking mentioned. It features the old logo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNgoYD5QTU

TheFugitive

BK seems to be throwing every conceivable thing against the wall in an attempt to get it to stick. By contrast, McDonald's sticks to its strategy of modularity, building new products out of parts that are already in-house (Triple Cheeseburger, anyone?)

Actually the profitability of Burger King franchises keeps steadily rising, while McDonalds has remained flat for a number of years.

The reason is McDonalds' more complex menu.  That equates to more food waste.
Plus the incredibly complex McCafe station eats up a lot of material and labor.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 08, 2014, 03:41:06 PM
In the background of this photo I took today is the Burger King on Eureka Road just east of Dix-Toledo Highway in Southgate, Michigan, in it's own building in a CVS-anchored strip mall almost directly across Dix-Toledo from Walmart. It may have opened in the 1990's. It was undergoing the early stages of a remodeling project (the road sign said "drive-thru open while we're remodeling" or something like that) that when completed will likely make it similar to the Southington BK near the top of the previous page. With that project, a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine may be added.

Well, here it is two months later, completely remodeled. The BK on Fort Street north of Goddard Road in Lincoln Park, Michigan (originally a Burger Chef and later an independent, unrelated restaurant called Donut King) now looks like this as well.

I wonder how long it will take before they start remodeling the one at Northline and Allen in Taylor, Michigan.

Didn't go inside to check to see if they had a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine, as I was heading straight for the Walmart in the background on the right. This one opened in the very late 1990's, relocating from further down Eureka next to the Southgate Shopping Center.

The road sign, as seen below, doesn't even mention anything about the Yumbo, just something about Santa Claus.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on November 28, 2014, 11:24:22 PM
They're remodeling the one at 1033 Farmington Avenue in Bristol, Connecticut inside and outside. I wonder if it's going to look like the one in Shoprite Plaza in Southington when it's done. They should do the other one in Bristol, but heaven forbid they would fix something in the rundown area of Bristol.

So I drove by the one on Farmington Ave in Bristol the other day and it does look like they are making it look like the one in Shoprite Plaza in Southington.

TheFugitive

McDonalds is planning to drastically scale back their menu in January.  If anything they are planning
to become more LIKE Burger King.  Recent stats show BK franchises growing in profitability while
McD franchises remain stagnant.  Largely this is due to higher food/labor costs and food waste resulting from
the more complex menu.  Much of that coming from the insanely complex McCafe stations.

zonemad96

I have noticed they are really all over the place with their menu. Their was the summer menu with the bk rib, sweet potato fries, bbq pork sandwich, bbq burgers, and frozen lemon-aid which are all gone now their is the four cheese whopper and the yumbo both of which probably wont last long. They also have menu items that seem to be designed to just take up space on their menu like the rodeo sandwiches which are just either a chicken or hamburger patty with onion rings and bbq sauce on it and the a1 bacon burger which is just a regular bacon hamburger with a1 sauce on it.

The biggest kicker is they can have all that crap on the menu but they had to get rid of chicken fries?

ynkeesfn82

I gave in and tried the YUMBO Sandwich today. They should call it the YUCKO Sandwich. It plus a small 20 ounce soda came to $6.25 with tax. For a few cents more I could've gotten fries or O-Rings with it. (I didn't want them). $1.99 for a small soda.  >:(

Hudsons81

The one on Dix Highway south of Southfield Road in Lincoln Park is being renovated as of yesterday and is already starting to resemble the one in Southgate that I posted earlier on this page.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on December 28, 2014, 04:24:31 PM
I gave in and tried the YUMBO Sandwich today. They should call it the YUCKO Sandwich. It plus a small 20 ounce soda came to $6.25 with tax. For a few cents more I could've gotten fries or O-Rings with it. (I didn't want them). $1.99 for a small soda.  >:(

I did eat something close to a Yumbo in the 70's.  My mom would make them at home when it was three days till payday and she was trying to feed six kids in the Jimmy Carter economy.  Sure as heck would not pay restaurant prices for one.

Those old brown-and-rainbowstriped BK uniforms in the ad do make me wax nostalgic though.

Ameskid

Pour out a cold Coca-Cola for this former BK in Cold Spring, KY.  I left campus for a month, and when I returned, it had been demolished.  I haven't seen many freestanding locations with this sort of building design...

Former Burger King, Cold Spring, KY by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

EddieJ1984

Quote from: jamesway_95 on December 05, 2014, 02:06:51 PM
Here's the ad retailisking mentioned. It features the old logo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNgoYD5QTU

That black & white tv that pops up, my grandpop had that exact same one....and I had it for a few years after he passed (this was in the 90s) enjoyed it as a kid...sadly it died at some point..oh and I wanted color too. But thanks burger king for that wave of nostalgia!
I haven't eaten at one tho for 3 years (same with mcdonalds, wendys and taco bell) so its not gonna get me to go to one lol.

jamesway_95

The one in West Berlin, NJ has closed. It's getting torn down for yet another bank.

Ameskid

I visited this odd location in Milford, OH today. The layout is unlike any BK I've seen before - for example, there were four entrance doors, two in the center and one on either side of that pair. Looked like it hadn't been renovated in a very long time.

Vintage Burger King, Milford, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Vintage Burker King, Milford, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

Perhaps the most bizarre feature was a set of swinging saloon-style doors in an already very crowded men's restroom.

Anyone know if this might have been built as something else originally?
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Ameskid on June 29, 2015, 11:53:13 PM
I visited this odd location in Milford, OH today. The layout is unlike any BK I've seen before - for example, there were four entrance doors, two in the center and one on either side of that pair. Looked like it hadn't been renovated in a very long time.

Vintage Burker King, Milford, OH by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

Perhaps the most bizarre feature was a set of swinging saloon-style doors in an already very crowded men's restroom.

Anyone know if this might have been built as something else originally?
Looks like an original Burger King from the 1970s. Notice how the entrance next to the solarium is configured, it would have the "Burger King, Home of the WHOPPER" sign in orange (where the current sign and logo are placed) above it where the roof dips down over the entrance windows and doors. The roof originally had brown or black shingles before their late 1990s-early 2000s transformation period when they painted over it with blue to match the blue "crescent-swoosh" on Burger King's new logo. That is one well-preserved Burger King interior indeed! It possibly dates back to the 1980s, the "Savor Each Moment" poster was added during the "Let's Have a Barbecue!"/"Taste is King" ad campaigns.

Pikapower

Where the saloon doors in the bathroom was part of BK's store designs of the 1970s?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hudsons81

You may have seen this before...but this location in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is unusual in that it actually still has these signs today! It has retained them due to a local ordinance. This was actually taken this month. (Photo courtesy of the Dead and Dying Retail Facebook page)

Quote from: Hudsons81 on July 28, 2015, 08:46:17 PM
You may have seen this before...but this location in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is unusual in that it actually still has these signs today! It has retained them due to a local ordinance. This was actually taken this month. (Photo courtesy of the Dead and Dying Retail Facebook page)

Looks like the perfect location for Burger King to film their next Yumbo Sandwich commercial (just kidding!  :D).

I love that they kept that vintage sign featuring the 1969-1999 Burger King "bun halves" logo, but it clashes with the newer Burger King roof style, painted royal blue to match the "crescent swoosh" in the 1999-present logo. I think if given the chance, maybe they should renovate the exterior to give it a retro look by reintroducing different shades of brown and black into the paint scheme, by doing away with the blue roof for a black shingled or cedar shingle roof,  and keeping the red light fixture that usually caps off the roof the Burger King restaurants are known for.

Burger King used to have a location across from the Greyhound Bus terminal in Portland, Maine. It later relocated to a newer, more upscale location not too far away. Half of the old Portland Burger King has become a Subway Sandwich Shop, while the other half was split off to another restaurant. I do recall it being a huge Burger King on the inside, especially in the dining area with exposed wood rafters in the ceiling (I ate at this location in 1997, my first and only time at this location).

TheFugitive

Wow, that BK in Milford, Ohio IS vintage!
Gives me flashbacks to one where I used to eat on the Pitt
campus in the 80's.

Hudsons81

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 29, 2015, 05:58:17 AM
Burger King used to have a location across from the Greyhound Bus terminal in Portland, Maine. It later relocated to a newer, more upscale location not too far away. Half of the old Portland Burger King has become a Subway Sandwich Shop, while the other half was split off to another restaurant. I do recall it being a huge Burger King on the inside, especially in the dining area with exposed wood rafters in the ceiling (I ate at this location in 1997, my first and only time at this location).

They also used the have one inside the old Greyhound terminal in Detroit. It was previously something else. It possibly closed after Greyhound moved to a newer building about a mile away and the old terminal was torn down for parking garages for the One Detroit Center skyscraper.

TheFugitive

The Pittsburgh Greyhound terminal also has a Burger King inside.
They did at the old one, and they do at the new one as well.

I remember that old Detroit Greyhound station.  Spent 3 hours there
on a layover in 1982.   YEEEEEEEEESH!   What a scary place!

ynkeesfn82

Was in Bristol, Connecticut with my Mom last week. The 2nd location in the city in the Northside Square Plaza is being remodeled like the one on Farmington Avenue did last year.

Hudsons81

The original appearance of the location at Northline and Allen Roads in Taylor, Michigan, shown in 1996. Since then, the only exterior changes made were repainting the roof to blue and logo replacements. Picture courtesy of the Downriver Things Flickr page.

A few Burger King locations inside Walmart stores:

Skokie, Illinois:

Abilene, Texas:

Mesa, Arizona:

Chuck E. Cheese

I Picked up some old glasses from 1979 at a Goodwill. They had a ton. I also got some for a friend who likes pop culture of tje 1980s as well as I Do.. She made this video compilation of the commercials that the glasses are based off of; I Got the King, and Duke of Doubt for myself and King, Duke, and Sir Shakes ALot for her. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyLk1l-nBa

Burger King just added grilled hot dogs to their menu.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 10, 2016, 11:25:14 PM
Burger King just added grilled hot dogs to their menu.

A couple weeks ago. Has anyone tried them yet? #fatboyproblems  :D

TheFugitive

Not yet.  I just got around to trying the flame broiled chicken burger last night.
Not bad.