Main Menu

Dennys

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GothicPrincess

OMG SO not going. My hubby wants to go, but I'm not going. I can't deal with all those people. He said we should go at 6am, but I still think that no matter when we go, by the time we get seated and order our food, it will be after 2pm. Just my opinion. I'll just make myself an egg and a pancake. I have the stuff here.
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

patk

well i went @6 am 10 to 15 mins no pic :o

GothicPrincess

HAHA I got out of going. I took a sleeping pill last night so that I could fall asleep with no problems for once, and I didn't get up until noon or so. Right now I'm baking cookies just in case we actually have classes tomorrow, because we're supposed to be having our Criminal Justice Fraternity bake sale. I like Denny's, just don't want to deal with that kind of crowd. Claustrophobia is not something I can deal with lol

Marc82

I don't mind if a restaurant is crowded, but I will not stand in a line out the door for anything - free food or not. That's why I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday. Anyway when I go to Denny's its usually between 12:45AM and 1:15AM Friday Night and often times the parking lot is so jammed I have to park at the Motel 6. Dennys, Motel 6, and Starbucks all share a common driveway, but seperate parking areas.

GothicPrincess

I used to go all the time around 3am, usually after concerts from my bff's band that broke up now. But we had a BLAST. We made pancake people...hehe

Marc82

They have good food. Usually when Jeff and I go we get the same thing - The All Night Sampler and we share an order of Pancake Puppies. Lately we've been getting The Blueberry Pancake Puppies. As much as we like Denny's we just wish there was another 24/7 restaurant in Southington just to switch it up once in a while. There was one on 322 but they changed owners and are no longer 24/7. And Bickfords closed around 6 or 7 years ago. There is a 24/7 locally owned diner in Bristol, but it's way out of the way to get to.

GothicPrincess

We actually have quite a few 24/7. Besides Denny's, we have Eatin Park, half our McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Wendy's have late night windows, plus Walmart being open 24/7, you can always buy food in the middle of the night to heat up. Unfortunately, the Subway INSIDE Walmart isn't open 24/7, I think they would make a good amount of money if they were. Just my opinion. I still prefer Denny's, so that I can make my pancake people. Here's a few photos, the first one is the original Pancake Man from 2-2-07, the second is Mr. and Mrs. Pancake Man, from 1-22-09. Hehe...

Marc82

Very cool. You're gonna have to come to Connecticut some Friday Night and show Jeff and myself in person your pancake people.  ;)

GothicPrincess

You're sweet. I have to find the time, gas, and money to drive up there. I really should. It would be so much fun to go on a driving tour of Connecticut to see all the hidden treasures of retail past. As it is, I'm barely able to arrange a week vacation to Jersey and Missouri. And yes, I'll be driving.

Zayre88

Denny's in Portland, Maine, possibly a former Sambo's:

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on June 24, 2010, 06:32:25 PM
Denny's in Portland, Maine, possibly a former Sambo's:

That's the one on Congress Street; it WAS a former Sambo's.  The other one on Brighton Avenue was built as a Denny's AFAIK; it's getting a little long in the tooth, and that darned abandoned Mobil is still there!

MikeRa

Quote from: MBZ321 on January 08, 2005, 05:32:04 PM
They closed all of them outside of Philly. (There is still one "Denny's Diner" concept in Philly by the soon-to be closed Adams Mark Hotel. They weren't one of my favorite places too eat.
There is still a Denny's that is open in Penndel, PA, near I-95
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

2014 Update:

New Connecticut Location Now Open:

Flatbush Avenue in the Charter Oak Market Place Plaza in Hartford. The Plaza with Walmart, Dollar Tree, Marshalls, etc.

New Connecticut Location Coming Soon:

943 Wolcott Street Waterbury in the Shoprite Plaza. Located in the former Casual Male XL Store next to Game Stop. It's in a separate building from the rest of the plaza.

ynkeesfn82

P.S. Please ignore all my posts from when my handle was Marc82. I no longer have a friend named Rodent and I don't go to Denny's in the middle of the night anymore.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on June 02, 2014, 12:51:37 PM
P.S. Please ignore all my posts from when my handle was Marc82. I no longer have a friend named Rodent and I don't go to Denny's in the middle of the night anymore.

For a time my wife worked at the Dennys in West Mifflin mentioned above.
Middle-of-the-night brawls after bar closing time were a regular occurrence.

She also had to attend sensitivity training on a regular basis because Dennys had just
settled that big racial discrimination lawsuit.  All employees had to attend under terms
of the settlement.

Strangely there is another Dennys on the opposite side of Century III Mall, probably
less than a mile away.

ynkeesfn82

Went to Dennys for dinner tonight. I had the Hot Turkey Dipper and the stuffing was burned.  :( I tell you when I eat out I need to go to better quality places. http://dennys.com/#/menu/menu-monthly-specials

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 02, 2014, 12:51:37 PM

East Hartford had a Denny...it is now a bank. Funny thing was the day it  closed, I went there for breakfast and I want to have dinner there, but it was closed. The manager didn't know it was closing...that was in 2000.

HannafordHearts

There are two former Denny's in Albany that both closed in 2005.

One location was on Western Avenue, located right near the interchange with I-87/I-90/NY Thruway. This location is now split between Five Guys and TCBY.

The other location was on Central Avenue in front of the Home Depot. It was demolished for an Aspen Dental and Berkshire Bank.

Interesting to note, this Aspen Dental was actually a new location for one that used to be in the nearby Westgate Plaza. That old location is now Dollar Tree.

This left Albany with only one location, on Wolf Road (still open). Of course, there are Denny's in neighboring towns (Schenectady, Latham, East Greenbush, etc.)

Here's the remaining Denny's in Albany:
Denny's - Colonie, NY by Seth Paul, on Flickr

Here is the location in Schenectady, opened 2011 in a former Friendly's.
Denny's - Schenectady, NY by Seth Paul, on Flickr

Here is the location in Latham. It opened in 2013 in a former Sambo's (which also later became Friendly's).
Denny's - Latham, NY by Seth Paul, on Flickr

A LQ overhead of the East Greenbush Denny's, originally a Howard Johnson's built in 1978.
Denny's - East Greenbush, NY by Seth Paul, on Flickr

busman_49

Dayton, Ohio's last free-standing Denny's is set to close for good today (12/16/2015) at 4 PM.
http://wdtn.com/2015/12/15/dayton-dennys-restaurant-closing-wednesday/
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/business/dennys-to-shut-down-dayton-restaurant/npkNc/

A couple of photos from what was likely the restaurant's last night in operation (12/15/2015):
Denny's, S Main St, Dayton, OH (1) by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr
Denny's, S Main St, Dayton, OH (3) by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

TheFugitive

The Dayton area has really taken it on the chin economically in recent years.

NCR, DHL, GM, etc. have all bugged out.
And Lexis-Nexis is now doing the bulk of their work offshore.

busman_49

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 18, 2015, 08:55:14 AM
The Dayton area has really taken it on the chin economically in recent years.

NCR, DHL, GM, etc. have all bugged out.
And Lexis-Nexis is now doing the bulk of their work offshore.

Dayton's last Ponderosa is gone now, too.  It closed on November 15, 2015.  In fact, the restaurant's headquarters were based there from 1968-1994

Bdubs

New London CT Denny's just opened up. It's in a former Pizza Hut which closed a few years ago.

retailisking

Quote from: Bdubs on November 07, 2016, 11:48:24 AM
New London CT Denny's just opened up. It's in a former Pizza Hut which closed a few years ago.
Boy, that couldn't be more obvious! BTW, the Congress Street Portland, ME Denny's (ex-Sambo's) is undergoing conversion to the "Diner" format. The Brighton Avenue location remains in its classic format; I'm hearing rumors that this one will be closing. There was a fatal stabbing last winter and business has been down since then. Here's an interior view of the Bangor, Maine Diner which is owned by the same franchisee as the Portland locations:

busman_49

Quote from: Bdubs on November 07, 2016, 11:48:24 AM

I like that!

giantsfan2016

The Denny's in Southington closed for a few days in November or December 2016. They completely remodeled it inside and out. I don't go there very often so I haven't snagged any pix yet.

retailisking

The Denny's on Brighton Avenue in Portland, Maine has closed after 45 years.

http://www.theforecaster.net/brighton-avenue-dennys-closes-quietly-in-portland/

TheFugitive

Have not eaten at Denny's for a very long time (even though they keep
sending me coupons).

Mrs. Fugitive used to wait tables there.  Fights breaking out after
bar closing time was a semi-regular occurrence.

esw01407

Bloomsburg PA's just a massive interior renovation. New paint, floor, booths and tables. Probably the biggest change to the place in a decade. Surprisingly closed for the better part of a week to do the work.

Everything Community

Enfield location closed on September 13. Sign was up on the door alerting patrons according to a photo from this source

https://patch.com/connecticut/enfield/dennys-closes-enfield-location-after-more-45-years-business

West Haven location closed on September 6.

https://patch.com/connecticut/westhaven/denny-s-closes-abruptly-west-haven

This leaves 6 locations intact in CT including Vernon.

TheFugitive

There is an operation called "Burger Den" from which you can order burger meals from food delivery services like Doordash.  Burger Den is what is known as a "ghost kitchen".  It is really Denny's, operating a second shadow restaurant chain that helps make more efficient use of their kitchens and their labor. 

Since the Denny's closest to me now closes at 5PM I don't know what happens if you go to Doordash and try to order Burger Den in the evening.