amesman

Talk about Denny's here!

Anonymous

there still around

theres still one in chicopee,mass

used to be one in front of allen-cooley plaza
springfield.ma

store215

They closed all of them outside of Philly. (There is still one "Denny's Diner" concept in Philly by the soon-to be closed Adams Mark Hotel. They weren't one of my favorite places too eat.

amesman

I like Denny's. They remind me of Howard Johnson's, and so does Friendly's.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
there still around

theres still one in chicopee,mass

used to be one in front of allen-cooley plaza
springfield.ma

I am from Plymouth NH and my nearnest Denny's is in West LEbanon NH, and there are ones in NAshua and SAlem NH.

I saw one vacant in Stoneham a few years ago

The one in Chicopee was near a vacant Bradlees.

I saw a Denny's under construction in BAngor when I went there 6 years ago.

What is denny's like to people, on the Simpsons flanders said he heard language at Denny's, that was in Bart sells his soul to millhouse

HoJofan206

Denny's is very popular here in Indiana.  They are open 24 hours a day and are more busy late late at night then they are during the day.  They also do a great deal of business during breakfast.  Yes, they do remind me of HoJo's, but they do not have the vast signature foods that HoJo's carried.

storehistoryguy

Its sad. All of the Denny's near me shut down last year. I loved Denny's. The one I usually went to had the booths with the big windows that looked outside at the woods and there were old blinds up. They knocked it down for an Auto Zone. Another one I know was set up like a 50's dinner.

Zayre88

The Denny's in Salem NH and Portland ME look like this one:

LazarusFan

There aren't really a whole lot of Denny's in Ohio or even in West Virginia you usually see instead a Bob Evans or a Shoney's which doesn't have alot of good quality.

Most of the Denny's are out in the west or the south.

Wow I didn't know that New England has palm trees.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
The Denny's in Salem NH and Portland ME look like this one:

there are 2 in Portland: congress st and Brighton ave (near the border of Westbrook)

one in Fall river closed years ago.

Jag67

Our local Denny's closed in early 2003. On the radio legendary Buffalo DJ Danny Nevererth was commenting on how sad a teenager was that it closed because it was the only place he could go to at 3 AM!! It sat vacant for 2 years before being converted into a doctor's office.

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Denny's we're cooking now

I like their logo

Actually, Dennys has had three different logos over the past 10 years. The one you have posted, is the newest one.

Jag67

I like the orginal with the "Bouncy" font.

amesman

So do I..heh. I remember when I was out to Buffalo visiting friends, the Orchard Park Dennys still had that logo on its outer sign. The Albany - Central Avenue location had those old logos until last year. Now, its the new one.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Talk about Denny's here!

last weekend I saw 2 Denny's in RI: In Coventry on CEntre of New England Blvd (with HOme depot and BJ's and Applebee's and wendy's) and Warwick (on Rt. 2 near Lowe's) and the Denny's had a diner look and said diner on the building

amesman

That Dennys pictured above is obviously not in New England..haha

But, on another note, I'd like to point out that that was the first building design the company had. The they switched to a Mansard roof design.

d_fife

this denny's is on congress st in portland maine

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
So do I..heh. I remember when I was out to Buffalo visiting friends, the Orchard Park Dennys still had that logo on its outer sign. The Albany - Central Avenue location had those old logos until last year. Now, its the new one.

And now it has no logos (assuming you mean the one on Central just above Westgate - in front of the Home Depot (former Caldor, Price Chopper and Fays plaza) - it is closed.  Apparently it wasn't very good - long waits even when not many people in the place (so I've heard).

amesman

Yes I have heard. As a matter of fact, the Albany-Central Ave location is not the only Dennys that is or will be closing in Albany. The Clifton Park(former Hojos) location will be closing, as well as the Wolf Road location. The others will remain open.

df559

Denny's expanded quite a bit in the late 70's-early 80's by buying up a lot of former Sambo's locations. That started the myth that Sambo's changed it's name to Denny's, when in fact they just bought the properties at Sambo's bankruptcy.

Crawford

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
Denny's expanded quite a bit in the late 70's-early 80's by buying up a lot of former Sambo's locations. That started the myth that Sambo's changed it's name to Denny's, when in fact they just bought the properties at Sambo's bankruptcy.

Sambo's was pretty funny. They sold stuffed tigers as a mascot.  Most if not all changed their names to "Sam's" with a little cartoon chef. Remember the commerical "No place like Sam's" as he wiped away a nostalgic tear? I haven't eaten at a Denny's but if it is like Sambo's was, I am not missing anything
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

this denny's is in augusta maine.

BillyGr

Late style Howard Johnsons by I-90 Exit 9 that was taken over by Denny's - inside has been redone.

2nd Shot is the sign - the frame is original to HoJo.

More details in the HoJo post.

BillyGr

The first is the (former) Western Avenue location across from Stuyvesant Plaza - not sure if this closed the same time that Central Ave did or not.

2nd is the Wolf Road location - this one is still open for the moment, not sure for how long.

Last two are the Central Ave location - as you can see by the 3rd photo, the back of the restaurant faced the parking lot (and the plaza behind, former home of Caldor/GU/PC no Home Depot).  There was also parking on one side (4th shot).  The front faces Central Ave.

Restaurant is surrounded by driveways - one only for left turns, the other for right turns only onto Central.

Anonymous

They still have three locations outside Philadelphia, in Delaware County (Essington, Clifton Heights, and Media.) By the way, I think the one on City Line Avenue is actually Bala Cynwyd, not Philly. And the Adams Mark is now owned by TARGET; they're opening a store in it.

Anonymous

I forgot to mention that the one in King of Prussia closed a long time ago and is now an independent "King of Prussia Diner." The one in West Chester was demolished for an Applebee's to be built on the site.

beachgal26

We used to have several in Memphis when we moved here in late 1994.  However, all of them have closed with the exception of the one in downtown Memphis that is located in connection with a hotel.  They tried a new concept a few years ago where we had one like the 50's style diner that someone posted.  It didn't last long and while the food is still very good, the service always stinks!

:( :mad:

StarSage

Here in the Denver metro we still have a few Denny's left, although they have big competition with Village Inn and IHOP. They're most famous for their skillet (meat & potatos) breakfasts.

Some miscellaneous facts I know about Denny's...

In the small town of Hemet, California (1hr south of Palm Springs) there are two Denny's restaurants on the main street.. Florida Avenue.. and they're only a couple of blocks apart. The only disctinction between the two that I could tell was that one had a COCKTAIL LOUNGE! Mind you, this is a town with a high retirement population and the most exciting thing going on there is that it has a stop on the bus route going to Reno.

And.. in Painted Post, New York (near Corning) there's a Denny's on Victory Highway. This restaurant used to be a Denny's back in the 80's, then became a Perkin's (another breakfast chain) and is now a Denny's again. The success of this location can be attributed to the presence of one of the area's largest Wesleyn churches. I guess even church-goers have gotta eat :D

Marc82

I like Denny's though I only go there about once a year.:P The one I go to in Southington has been open for many years, though about 6 years ago the Health Department shut them down for a while because they caught an employee doing something nasty in the freezer. I know it's a true story and not a rumor as a friend of mine was the manager of a McDonald's in the same town so he knows the health insepector.

Zayre88

Denny's in Auburn, ME.  Probably is a former Friendly's...