Main Menu

Ann & Hope

Started by Zayre88, July 30, 2005, 02:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

I never went to one of their store but it appears they were pioneers of the discount store business.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/03-01/03-25-01/a01lo004.htm

Caldor1999

yea ive heard of them how big were they???
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

What i know is that their stores were BIG but there was a few stores only.  Some were closed, then others were downsized and the company closed.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

What i know is that their stores were BIG but there was a few stores only.  Some were closed, then others were downsized and the company closed.

there stores were the size of a super wal-mart.

The first store was in cumberland RI (It was near the railroad in a mill and I was by it yesterday), other stores were in Danvers in the Liberty Tree mall that opened in 1969, Watertown mass in the Arsenal mall that opened in 1983, Dartmouth mass that opened in the 70s or 80s, SEekonk mass on rt. 6, one in methuen mall that lasted 2 years, one in warwick ri on airport ave.

The one in DAnvers is now Kohl's, Super stop and shop, watertown is now home depot, seekonk is now the recoated homedepot, dartmouth mass got torn down andr ebuilt into lowe's, warwick and cumberland are scaled down to ann and hope clothing stores.

they closed in spring 2001. their stores were old and like an Ames and wal-mart mixed togehter.

Zayre88

Ann & Hope storefront

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Ann & Hope storefront

that ws in dartmouth mass.

Zayre88

Another store with bigger lettering

Caldor1999

yea there stores were really big along with the logo
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

northgateman

While they did go out of business as a big discount department store , boy do I have memories of this store going to the Danvers location growing up.
They do operate an Ann&Hope outlet just down the road in another strip mall on the Danvers/Peabody line on Route 1 South..
They carry manily curtains, linens, ans sometimes garden stuff. It's always good to drop by and check out their mini version of the sign they used to have.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by northgateman
While they did go out of business as a big discount department store , boy do I have memories of this store going to the Danvers location growing up.
They do operate an Ann&Hope outlet just down the road in another strip mall on the Danvers/Peabody line on Route 1 South..
They carry manily curtains, linens, ans sometimes garden stuff. It's always good to drop by and check out their mini version of the sign they used to have.

that was the only ann and hope I ever went into and again ann and hope was a cross between an ames adn a wal-mart and the one in danvers is now kohl's, stop and shop and peir 1 (I WAS THERE 3 days ago) It had a phramacy I remember. I went to that ann and hope in 1997.

Zayre88

Ann & Hope sale flyer

C. Fontaine

There is one in Warwick, RI near T.F. Green.  It is quite possibly the most ugly store I have ever seen.

Caldor1999

are any of there stores still vacant???
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
There is one in Warwick, RI near T.F. Green.  It is quite possibly the most ugly store I have ever seen.

I WENT BY IT A MONTH AGO AND IT WAS UGLY INDEED. IT HAD SOMEWHAT GLASS WINDOWS AND LOOKEDL IKE IT WAS FROM THE 60s.

recently I saw the first one in Cumberland RI (It is by Building 19) and it looked like a mill.

their stores were like the size of a super wal-mart.

d_fife

are any of there stores still vacant???

None of their stores are vacant: The one in WAtertown, opened 83, in arsenal mall is Home depot and linens n things, Danvers (I WAS BY THE FORMER STORE LAST WEEK and that was the only one I ever went into and heard it was built in 1969, but the mall was built in 72) was torn down and built into kohl's, stop and shop (The latest prototype) and peir 1; the one in north dartmouth (built in 1983 I believe or the 70s and I saw it vacant 2 years ago) was torn down last year and rebuilt into lowe's; I heard the one in Seekonk mass was torn down and rebuilt into a relocated home depot; the one in Warwick is now a scaled down store (they closed all the mass ones in early 2001 and scaled down the 2 in RI!, they got out of the department store biz) called ann and hope outlets and so was the one in cumberland ri.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine

I WENT BY IT A MONTH AGO AND IT WAS UGLY INDEED. IT HAD SOMEWHAT GLASS WINDOWS AND LOOKEDL IKE IT WAS FROM THE 60s.

recently I saw the first one in Cumberland RI (It is by Building 19) and it looked like a mill.

their stores were like the size of a super wal-mart.
YES!!!  and the street side sign is the most UGLY thing ever!

Caldor1999

they do look ugly they dident have that image Caldor Bradlees Ames or Jamesway had that logo is so plane
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

they do look ugly they dident have that image Caldor Bradlees Ames or Jamesway had that logo is so plane

this is what the first ann and hope (in cumberland RI) looked like and it opened 1953.

store215

JimSawhill

I think ann & hope is still in business... the old Stop & Shop in Vernon is an outlet of A&H. If I'm not mistaken.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
I think ann & hope is still in business... the old Stop & Shop in Vernon is an outlet of A&H. If I'm not mistaken.

Ann and hope moved out of the discount business and is this chain of outlet stores. some stores got scaled back to those new Ann and hopes

JimSawhill

Crawford

I practically grew up in the one in Seekonk Mass. Was also the first store I shop lifted from that I got caught. Was another in a long line of local discount stores. What did them in was raising their prices and trying too hard to be like Wal-Mart. I miss this store a lot. Buliding was demolished to build a massive Home Depot and Stop & Shop.

The one in Cumberland was also pretty cool since it was in an old factory and had a conveyor belt that brought the carriages up and down and you walked on the stairs next to it. The downstairs part is now a Building 19 salvage store and the upstairs is the Ann & Hope outlet of home store. They had a pretty nice snack bar as well.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

TRJ_22487

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww21JZj8glk

This amazing video has appeared on Youtube from the Danvers, Massachusetts - Liberty Tree Mall location back in 1980.
A few others in this thread had mentioned this store, though all of those posts were from 2005...
For anyone wondering what the store was like in its prime, it doesn't get more real than this video.
This was the chain that Walmart and Kmart based themselves on. They were the first department store to use shopping carts.
They were also the first store to allow the consumer to pick the item off the shelf themselves. To me it looks like Caldor really stole their concept heavily as well in the rainbow era. By the time I was a teen Ann & Hope was a shadow of their former self, the last time I was in one was 2000 with my grandparents.

"Ann & Hope. One day at work in the camera dept.
of Ann & Hope.
Dec 31, 1980
Where are these people now?"

So funny, just today I found the video of the Lechmere from this same mall shot later in the 80's. If only more of these videos existed!

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on December 30, 2012, 03:33:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww21JZj8glk

This amazing video has appeared on Youtube from the Danvers, Massachusetts - Liberty Tree Mall location back in 1980.
A few others in this thread had mentioned this store, though all of those posts were from 2005...
For anyone wondering what the store was like in its prime, it doesn't get more real than this video.
This was the chain that Walmart and Kmart based themselves on. They were the first department store to use shopping carts.
They were also the first store to allow the consumer to pick the item off the shelf themselves. To me it looks like Caldor really stole their concept heavily as well in the rainbow era. By the time I was a teen Ann & Hope was a shadow of their former self, the last time I was in one was 2000 with my grandparents.

"Ann & Hope. One day at work in the camera dept.
of Ann & Hope.
Dec 31, 1980
Where are these people now?"

So funny, just today I found the video of the Lechmere from this same mall shot later in the 80's. If only more of these videos existed!

What are those things pictured on the shelf below the Photo Processing photo?? They look like old fashioned computers!!!   :)

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on February 09, 2013, 01:03:28 PM
Quote from: TRJ_22487 on December 30, 2012, 03:33:30 PM

What are those things pictured on the shelf below the Photo Processing photo?? They look like old fashioned computers!!!   :)

You mean this photo?

Those would be typewriters (some of them may have been early versions of a word processor, which would be an early relative of the computer).

TRJ_22487

Haha yes those are simply typewriters and telephones, maybe a word processor is in there but it looks like only typewriters. By this point personal computers were starting to look like what we are familiar with today though, monitor, mouse, drives & such. Commodore, Apple, Microsoft, IBM were the big players back then.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on February 11, 2013, 05:18:58 PM
Haha yes those are simply typewriters and telephones, maybe a word processor is in there but it looks like only typewriters. By this point personal computers were starting to look like what we are familiar with today though, monitor, mouse, drives & such. Commodore, Apple, Microsoft, IBM were the big players back then.

The only big name of those 3 is Apple...

My first computer was a commodore

Retail_247

Here's a video showing the closing of the Ann & Hope Curtain & Bath Outlet store in Warwick, RI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdesgeSTmLo

The building was originally an Ann & Hope discount store before it was downgraded and downsized. Most of the original fixtures were still in place, including the optical center which apparently was still being used.
Retail_247

Retail Regents

Quote from: a_person_96 on April 02, 2022, 08:17:03 PMHere's a video showing the closing of the Ann & Hope Curtain & Bath Outlet store in Warwick, RI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdesgeSTmLo

The building was originally an Ann & Hope discount store before it was downgraded and downsized. Most of the original fixtures were still in place, including the optical center which apparently was still being used.

Kind of surprising they had a set of Target carts that are much older than what is commonly reused up here. They probably have ghost TARGET logos underneath those Ann & Hope stickers.