Crossgates Mall

Started by Caldor1999, July 30, 2005, 12:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

im posting this for a friend and the fact that this is the nicest and best mall i have ever been to :) also the biggest mall in New York:)
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

i first saw the mall back in 1995 i think i just remember seeing the caldor thats there and thats it i first wen to this mall in 2002 and  i nidced a change it was one of the best malls i have ever been to
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

Here's the history of Crossgates Mall:

Opened in 1984, this mall had 150 stores and 4 anchors: JCPenney, Filenes, Jordan Marsh, and Caldor. There was also a 12 screen Hoyts theater. In 1994, Crossgates was expanded with 1.3 million additional feet to the existing 1.4 million square feet. The store slots now added up to 260, and there were 3 new anchor spots. Filenes took a new space at the new end of the mall, and the original Filenes became a Dick's Sporting Goods on the upper level, and Nobody Beats the Wiz on the lower level. Lord and Talyor also moved into the new addition to the mall. In 1995, Jordan Marsh became Macy's, and in 1996, Nobody Beats the Wiz filed for bankruptcy. The Crossgates store closed in the Spring of 97.

By 1998, the third anchor space of the new expansion was filled by a new 18 screen Hoyts theater. There were now 30 movie screens in two theater complexes. In 1999, Caldor went bankrupt and pulled their store out of Crossgates. In 2000, Best Buy opened on the upper level of the former Caldor, and DSW Show Warehouse moved into the lower level. Also, in 2000, Kliens All Sports moved in, below TJ Maxx in the new wing of the mall, and Cohoes Fashions moved from the struggling Cohoes Commons outlets in Cohoes, NY(an Albany suburb), into the old Nobody Beats the Wiz space. In 2001, DSW moved down by JCPenney, and H&M came into the old DSW/Caldor lower level space.

Recently, Lord and Taylor pulled out in a round of store closings, and Kliens All Sports and TJ Maxx have both pulled out. The 12 screen Hoyts(Regal) Cinemas has also left, leaving the Regal Cinema 18 to fen for itself. The mall is certainly not doing bad. It is doing very well. However, I am worried because the Filenes will close when Federated buys the May Company. This will leave the new end of the mall anchorless, except for the 18 screen theater. I can only hope new anchors will come, such as Bloomingdales, Bon Ton, or others.

I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this. If anyone has historical photos of Crossgates' earlier days, or anything like that, please post, or give me a link to a site who has them. I'd appreciate it very much!! Thanks guys! :)

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Here's the history of Crossgates Mall:

Opened in 1984, this mall had 150 stores and 4 anchors: JCPenney, Filenes, Jordan Marsh, and Caldor. There was also a 12 screen Hoyts theater. In 1994, Crossgates was expanded with 1.3 million additional feet to the existing 1.4 million square feet. The store slots now added up to 260, and there were 3 new anchor spots. Filenes took a new space at the new end of the mall, and the original Filenes became a Dick's Sporting Goods on the upper level, and Nobody Beats the Wiz on the lower level. Lord and Talyor also moved into the new addition to the mall. In 1995, Jordan Marsh became Macy's, and in 1996, Nobody Beats the Wiz filed for bankruptcy. The Crossgates store closed in the Spring of 97.

By 1998, the third anchor space of the new expansion was filled by a new 18 screen Hoyts theater. There were now 30 movie screens in two theater complexes. In 1999, Caldor went bankrupt and pulled their store out of Crossgates. In 2000, Best Buy opened on the upper level of the former Caldor, and DSW Show Warehouse moved into the lower level. Also, in 2000, Kliens All Sports moved in, below TJ Maxx in the new wing of the mall, and Cohoes Fashions moved from the struggling Cohoes Commons outlets in Cohoes, NY(an Albany suburb), into the old Nobody Beats the Wiz space. In 2001, DSW moved down by JCPenney, and H&M came into the old DSW/Caldor lower level space.

Recently, Lord and Taylor pulled out in a round of store closings, and Kliens All Sports and TJ Maxx have both pulled out. The 12 screen Hoyts(Regal) Cinemas has also left, leaving the Regal Cinema 18 to fen for itself. The mall is certainly not doing bad. It is doing very well. However, I am worried because the Filenes will close when Federated buys the May Company. This will leave the new end of the mall anchorless, except for the 18 screen theater. I can only hope new anchors will come, such as Bloomingdales, Bon Ton, or others.

I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this. If anyone has historical photos of Crossgates' earlier days, or anything like that, please post, or give me a link to a site who has them. I'd appreciate it very much!! Thanks guys! :)

I went to this mall 2 days ago. I saw that the Disney store was gone. The store was on the mall phamphlet but it was gone. I saw Lord and Taylor vacant,, I SAW THE LABEL SCAR OF CALDOR ON THE BEST buy part. THE MALL WAS BIG!!!!!

HoJofan206

I agree, this is a very good sized mall. :o

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
I agree, this is a very good sized mall. :o

yep it also has all the right stores
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Disney store is Gone? I didn't know this :( And, yes Crossgates is very big. 1.7 million square feet. Biggest mall in size in the state.

d_fife

Disney store is Gone???!!! I didn't know this! :( And, yes Crossgates is very big. 1.7 million square feet. Biggest mall in size in the state.

Is it really the biggest mall?

Toys_R_Us_55

can someone take some pix of the disney store?:question:

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Disney store is Gone???!!! I didn't know this! :( And, yes Crossgates is very big. 1.7 million square feet. Biggest mall in size in the state.

Is it really the biggest mall?

Yes, the mall is the biggest in the state, if you don't count number of floors. 2 levels, plus a mezzanine level for the former 12 screen theater.

d_fife

The mall website said a whole new Disney store opened?? I saw Lord and Taylor vacant when I went there and a Filene's. Since one of the two will close, will crossgates hurt with 2 vacant anchors.

I am from Plymouth NH and drove to the Crossgates mall in August. I drove there BY MYSELF. WHY ARE MY FRIENDS FROM AROUND THERE SURPRISED I DROVE THERE MYSELF!!

It is a big mall. bigger than any we have in NH. BUt I think the Pallisodes Mall in West nyack is bigger, I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT MALL, but HAVE HEARD OF IT AND MAY GO THERE AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE>

Caldor1999

The mall website said a whole new Disney store opened?? I saw Lord and Taylor vacant when I went there and a Filene's. Since one of the two will close, will crossgates hurt with 2 vacant anchors.

I am from Plymouth NH and drove to the Crossgates mall in August. I drove there BY MYSELF. WHY ARE MY FRIENDS FROM AROUND THERE SURPRISED I DROVE THERE MYSELF!!

It is a big mall. bigger than any we have in NH. BUt I think the Pallisodes Mall in West nyack is bigger, I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT MALL, but HAVE HEARD OF IT AND MAY GO THERE AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE>

i live near the  Pallisodes Mall its bigger by hight i think theres a filenes soon to be macys lord & taylor JC Penny Target Home Depot lowes theaters Bj's Bestbuy ect its a nice mall but the Crossgates mall is soo much better
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Crossgates Mall is bigger in square footage and land area than any other mall in New York State.

And yes, a new Disney Store has opened. Also, Borders Books and Music will be opening soon in the former TJ Maxx space on the second floor.

Caldor1999

Crossgates Mall is bigger in square footage and land area than any other mall in New York State.

And yes, a new Disney Store has opened. Also, Borders Books and Music will be opening soon in the former TJ Maxx space on the second floor.

ice to see its getting new stores and im sure filenes will become bnloomingdales and i think the old lord & taylor space should be turned intom a Nordstrom of something
Caldor Forever!

amesman

The old Lord and Taylor would be perfect for a Bon Ton, Nordstrom, and/or Neiman Marcus.

Caldor1999

The old Lord and Taylor would be perfect for a Bon Ton, Nordstrom, and/or Neiman Marcus.

yea something upscale could fill that space and i think that the filenes will becoem  a bloomingdales
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

I hear border's is coming to the mall!

amesman

yep, I posted about it earlier. It will occupy the former TJ Maxx store space on the upper level of the mall in the Filene's end of the mall.

d_fife

yep, I posted about it earlier. It will occupy the former TJ Maxx store space on the upper level of the mall in the Filene's end of the mall.

what will occupy the FIlene's and the Lord and taylor!!!!?????????

Caldor1999

i hope Bloomingdales moves into the old filene's it would make morme sese to have one there nad maby nordstrom could move into the old Lord & Taylor or bon ton or dillards could start movineg up hear and oepneing stores in new york
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

i hope Bloomingdales moves into the old filene's it would make morme sese to have one there nad maby nordstrom could move into the old Lord & Taylor or bon ton or dillards could start movineg up hear and oepneing stores in new york

but nordstrom and bloomingdale's are more upscale.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

but nordstrom and bloomingdale's are more upscale.

yes but the mall had lord & taylor withc is verey upscale i mean the name sounds fancy alone it can fit in with macys and jc penny ect
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

here is the cinema that was above the old caldor. the cinema closed in march 2005. the caldor was 90000 square feet and now Best buy. I heard the mall was going to get expanded again, but the idea was scrapped. why did TJ maxx close? the cinema in the mall is bigger than the old one,

from http://www.pyramidmg.com/portfolio/crossgates_mall.asp

amesman

The Best Buy only moved into the upper level of the old Caldor. H&M occupies the lower level. TJ Maxx closed due to the opening of a new store at the Rotterdamn Square Mall, and the company only wanted to keep 3 stores in the Albany area.

d_fife

amesman

Looking towards Filenes.

amesman

Just found out tonight from CBS 6 WRGB News that the Macy's will move to the former Filenes space once Filenes closes.

Also, I emailed the mall management to ask if I could get new pics tomorrow when I go there, but the management said no :( Oh well, at least I got these older ones..hehe

d_fife

Looking towards Filenes.

filene's 201,000 square foot space will be divested this year and the 110,000 square foot lord and taylor is closed. I am worried about the impact  on this mall as it is the most popular one in the albany area. it is as big as the holyoke mall. I liked this mall. I thought it was big. but I heard that this filene's and the lord and taylor and the stores between them were the expansion in 1994. the new wing got it. it seems this mall had 30 screens. I saw the cinema above best buy gone! and the labelscar for the cinema shows. they need to get anchors in. I heard that filene's was where Dick's and COes's (once nobody beats the wiz) is and the first filene's in new york. this mall went from 1.3 to 1.7 million square feet in 1994. It said this mall opened in march 1984 and jordan marsh and filene's opened july 1985. this mall looks like it was remodeled during the 1994 renovation.

d_fife

Just found out tonight from CBS 6 WRGB News that the Macy's will move to the former Filenes space once Filenes closes.

Also, I emailed the mall management to ask if I could get new pics tomorrow when I go there, but the management said no :( Oh well, at least I got these older ones..hehe

but I heard filene's will just close!!!! and that building will be divested!!!! and the macy's building will remain. I hear the macy's (Once Jordan marsh and the first jordan marsh in new york when it opened july 1985 and in the end only one otuside new england as the 2nd and last ny store poughkeepsie store closed) is 170,000 square feet. Where did you watn to take the picts, inside or outside the mall.  inside they will not let anyone because of advertising reasons and fear of possible espoinoge or stuff like that.

amesman

Looking towards Filenes.

filene's 201,000 square foot space will be divested this year and the 110,000 square foot lord and taylor is closed. I am worried about the impact  on this mall as it is the most popular one in the albany area. it is as big as the holyoke mall. I liked this mall. I thought it was big. but I heard that this filene's and the lord and taylor and the stores between them were the expansion in 1994. the new wing got it. it seems this mall had 30 screens. I saw the cinema above best buy gone! and the labelscar for the cinema shows. they need to get anchors in. I heard that filene's was where Dick's and Cohoes Fashions (once nobody beats the wiz) is and the first filene's in new york. this mall went from 1.4 to 1.7 million square feet in 1994. It said this mall opened in march 1984 and jordan marsh and filene's opened july 1985. this mall looks like it was remodeled during the 1994 renovation.

Actually, Crossgates is bigger than Holyoke Mall, and Filene's will become the new Macys according to a news report I heard tonight.