Filene's

Started by Caldor1999, July 29, 2005, 03:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

this filene's is in Brockton massachsuetts. It oepend March 2003 and was a bradlees, that was 112,000 square feet, and is 140,000 square feet. it s in westgate mall.

from http://www.riaerials.com/gallery.php?current_dir=GALLERY

d_fife

this filene's is in braintree mass. in the south shore plaza.

this filene's is in Brockton massachsuetts. It oepend March 2003 and was a bradlees, that was 112,000 square feet, and is 140,000 square feet. it s in westgate mall.

from http://www.riaerials.com/gallery.php?current_dir=GALLERY

d_fife

the filene's in this mall closed in 1993 and was 104,000 square feet. this was in worcester near the jordan marsh that closed in 1991.

http://www.riaerials.com/gallery.php?current_dir=GALLERY

d_fife

this filene's is in west nyack in the Palasides mall, one of the largest malls in the U.S.

Neil Goldstein of ngoldstein@thegoldsteingroup.com of www.siteride.com

d_fife

this filene's is in Milford connecitcut in Connecitcut post mall and is 150,000 square feet. IT will become macy's next year.

ngoldstein@thegoldsteingroup.com from www.siteride.com

d_fife

this filene's is in Kingston new york and is in the hudson valley mall. it will be a macy's next year.

from Michael Antkies of http://www.storetrax.com/stx/showProperty.do?centerId=1591

d_fife

this filene's is in Holyoke massachusetts in the holyoke mall and is 200,000 square feet and opened in an expanded part of the mall that opened in 1995. the old filene's was smaller and a G. Fox. this will become Macy's next year.

from http://www.pyramidmg.com/portfolio/holyoke_mall.asp

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
this filene's is in Milford connecitcut in Connecitcut post mall and is 150,000 square feet. IT will become macy's next year.

ngoldstein@thegoldsteingroup.com from www.siteride.com
thta filenes looks like teh Danbury CT this one im thinking might become a Bloomingdales since that mall already has macys in it im hopeing it dose cause i dont want that ancore to be vacant
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dayville81

More info on May/Federated Merger visit http://www.fds.com/ir/maymerger/template/pressrelease.asp?item_id=771927 and http://www.fds.com/ir/maymerger/template/pressrelease.asp?item_id=736315. Crystal Mall Filene's will close along with Danbury Mall Filene's. Warwick Mall's Filene's will become Macy's and Macy's will close. Chestnut Hill Mall Filene's will become Bloomingdale's. But Warwick Mall, Crystal Mall, and Danbury Mall will all lose one anchor. Going out of business sale will start January 29.  
CRYSTAL MALL
I worked at the Crystal Mall Filene's. It was the smallest of the May Corporation at 90,000 square feet. It was so small it DOES NOT SELL luggage, appliances, china, silverwear, electronics, furniture, or most table linens. I worked in the Home Department during summer and Christmas seasons and worked in Men's Furnishings during another summer. Many angry shoppers expected the store to have the same departments as a NORMAL Filene's. I had to refer to them to other Filene's stores, to purchase items on the Internet, or just walk down to Macy's.
They did redo the outside of the store since I worked there several years ago but the inside is pretty much the same. I know there was talk ten years ago about expanding the store but it never happened. There really was no place else in the mall that the store could open up a Home & Men's Store. They did this up at Buckland Hills Mall, West Farms Mall, and Enfield Mall. Corporate often sent the store much more shipments than the store could sell so the store sent shipments to Westfarms and Buckland that have stores so large that they often do not recieve enough merchandise to fill up all their space.
SAY BYE TO FILENE'S
The way I understand it the Filene's name will fade away and stores will slowly convert to Macy's. The company promises not to lay off associates and to just move associates to the Macy's stores in the area but I cant really see that happening.
MEMORABALIA
I have an old deactivated Filene's swipe card used at their time clocks identifying Store #82 Waterford and an old Filene's badge with a Gold Star, one associates earn for excellent customer service. They may be worth something someday when Filene's fades into the woodwork.
LESS STORES LESS CHOICES
In the end the closure of Filene's clearly shows that the marketplace is getting smaller. Less stores is less choices. Filene's was like any other fancy department store. It was expensive but if you wait for a sale with coupons you will get a really good deal better than the discount stores since Filene's prides itself on quality merchandise though some of their merchandise I dont really like but it is all brand name.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
More info on May/Federated Merger visit http://www.fds.com/ir/maymerger/template/pressrelease.asp?item_id=771927 and http://www.fds.com/ir/maymerger/template/pressrelease.asp?item_id=736315. Crystal Mall Filene's will close along with Danbury Mall Filene's. Warwick Mall's Filene's will become Macy's and Macy's will close. Chestnut Hill Mall Filene's will become Bloomingdale's. But Warwick Mall, Crystal Mall, and Danbury Mall will all lose one anchor. Going out of business sale will start January 29.  
CRYSTAL MALL
I worked at the Crystal Mall Filene's. It was the smallest of the May Corporation at 90,000 square feet. It was so small it DOES NOT SELL luggage, appliances, china, silverwear, electronics, furniture, or most table linens. I worked in the Home Department during summer and Christmas seasons and worked in Men's Furnishings during another summer. Many angry shoppers expected the store to have the same departments as a NORMAL Filene's. I had to refer to them to other Filene's stores, to purchase items on the Internet, or just walk down to Macy's.
They did redo the outside of the store since I worked there several years ago but the inside is pretty much the same. I know there was talk ten years ago about expanding the store but it never happened. There really was no place else in the mall that the store could open up a Home & Men's Store. They did this up at Buckland Hills Mall, West Farms Mall, and Enfield Mall. Corporate often sent the store much more shipments than the store could sell so the store sent shipments to Westfarms and Buckland that have stores so large that they often do not recieve enough merchandise to fill up all their space.
SAY BYE TO FILENE'S
The way I understand it the Filene's name will fade away and stores will slowly convert to Macy's. The company promises not to lay off associates and to just move associates to the Macy's stores in the area but I cant really see that happening.
MEMORABALIA
I have an old deactivated Filene's swipe card used at their time clocks identifying Store #82 Waterford and an old Filene's badge with a Gold Star, one associates earn for excellent customer service. They may be worth something someday when Filene's fades into the woodwork.
LESS STORES LESS CHOICES
In the end the closure of Filene's clearly shows that the marketplace is getting smaller. Less stores is less choices. Filene's was like any other fancy department store. It was expensive but if you wait for a sale with coupons you will get a really good deal better than the discount stores since Filene's prides itself on quality merchandise though some of their merchandise I dont really like but it is all brand name.

nooo there closing the Danbury Mall filenes i thought Bloomingdales was gonna moved there i hope something opens in it soon like a Nordsteom or something:( i mean that store has been there fsince 1988
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dayville81

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Does anyone know what will happen to the Westfarms Mall Filenes in Farmington CT in 2006?

im sure bloomingdales will fill in teh empty spaces

I believe Westfarms Filene's will become Macy's. The mall does not currently have a Macy's. I'm curious whether Macy's will take over both the Main Filene's and the Men's Filene's since the store recently expanded into a vacant anchor store. Most likely Macy's will take over both.

dayville81

i have a picture of the filene's in warwick mall here. it was built in 71, expanded redone in 97 and expanded from 175,000 square feet to 240,000 square efet. This store in Fall 2006 will get it's named changed to MAcy's. MAcy's is in a 309,000 or 320,000 square foot store in the mall and that store will be divested.

I heard there was another filene's in the rhode island mall. I heard it closed 1997 and was G. fox.

Rhode Island Mall had a G.Fox on the opposite side of the mall from Sears. They converted it to Filene's even though Warwick Mall only a few miles away also had a Filene's which was much larger. They shut down the Filene's and the mall used the upper level as a community room. They then sold it  the lower level to Wal-Mart and upper level to Kohl's. Neither store has a mall entrance and requires people to leave the mall and walk up the sidewalk. Wal-Mart is near the mall exit on that side of the mall but the trek to Kohl's is much easier via car. Doing this hurt the mall since the only remaining anchor is Sears and most stores that had duplicate stores here and Warwick Mall closed their RI Mall location. RI Mall is listed on deadmalls.com since so many of the smaller stores are vacant and they dont even have drywall over them. Looks kinda erie. Especially since it is two floors and the end that used to have Filene's has drywall with a message telling mall walkers to use the mall exit to access Wal-Mart. I heard talk that Stop and Shop wanted to take over the small store part of the mall and then Sears would only have an outdoor entrance. Already when Wal-Mart and Kohl's came in they took over more of the mall than the portion Filene's had, they took over the former food court. Sears renovated their store a few years ago and they have no store at Warwick Mall so it appears they arent going anywhere for now. Providence Place Mall hurt both Warwick and Rhode Island Malls.

d_fife

Caldor1999

this is the filene's in the danbury fair mall. it is 172,000 square feet and opened in 1986.

from Robert Gold of http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:_N40FzgZNJsJ:news.newstimeslive.com/story.php%3Fid%3D73278%26category%3DLocal+%22filene%27s%22+%22Danbury+fair+mall%22:&hl=en

that filenes was a G. Fox before but it became filenes in 1988 from what that actrical says
Caldor Forever!

amesman

The Poughkeepsie Filenes was also formerly a G. Fox.

storehistoryguy

d_fife

this filene's is in south portland maine in the maine mall and was part of the 1984 expansion of the mall and is 120,000 square feet.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Does anyone know what will happen to the Westfarms Mall Filenes in Farmington CT in 2006?

I think it will be renamed Macy's. it was ot on the list of stores to become bloomingdale's

d_fife

http://www.federated-fds.com/ir/maymerger/template/pressrelease.asp?item_id=771927 lists the others for divesture and says Filene's in Chestnut hill mall is closing. WHY THERE IS NO MACYS In that mall, but there is a Bloomingdale's in that mall.

Actually it is one of the stores listed to become Bloomingdale's, but there is a bloomingdale's in the mall. But it doesn't make sense as bloomingdale's is nearby and filene's was good enough to become macy's.  

THIS IS THE CALENDER YEAR FILENE's name as well as kaufmann's name vanishes! In january 29, 2006 the liquidation sales for the overlapping stoers start.

Caldor1999

dose any one know when the store clsoinf sale for the filenes will start? like the ones that are closing this mounth
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

dose any one know when the store clsoinf sale for the filenes will start? like the ones that are closing this mounth

January 29, 2006 is when the sales start. I wonder when they close

Caldor1999

i ws in the danbury CT locTion there today and they were haveing a store wide clearce sale there parts of it were cvlosed off i have pics and i'll post them latter
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

i ws in the danbury CT locTion there today and they were haveing a store wide clearce sale there parts of it were cvlosed off i have pics and i'll post them latter
why start already???
I would love to see those awesome pictures.

Caldor1999

why start already???
I would love to see those awesome pictures.

hear ya go Filenes was oen of the first stores to opem in this mall in 1986 alone with sears then it was Macys in 1987 floowed by JC Penny in 1988 and Lord & Taylor in 1991
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hearsd  naoutehr picture
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the inside u can see the small siggs they say the intire store is on clearice  i did not take any pics inside mostye because i dident wanan get in troble
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the lower leveal
Caldor Forever!

dayville81

Several Filene's stores were upgraded in the past several months like Buckland Hills, Connecticut Post, etc. Do you think Macy's will close these stores down and "re-do" them or will the transition be more like how Macy's bought Jordan Marsh and pretty much left the "feel" of the store the same? Kind of silly for Filene's to do work on their stores with renovation and expansion projects after last August when they knew their store would be Macy's.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
Several Filene's stores were upgraded in the past several months like Buckland Hills, Connecticut Post, etc. Do you think Macy's will close these stores down and "re-do" them or will the transition be more like how Macy's bought Jordan Marsh and pretty much left the "feel" of the store the same? Kind of silly for Filene's to do work on their stores with renovation and expansion projects after last August when they knew their store would be Macy's.

well it will help macys out in a way it will make teh store newer for there arivle
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

read this article of the one in danbury ct

from http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=78809&category=Local
2006-01-17
Another anchor away?
Lord & Taylor sale could change mall's look
By Robert Gold
THE NEWS-TIMES

DANBURY ? In less than two weeks, Filene's will start its final round of sales before closing at Danbury Fair mall. And another momentous change could be just around the corner.
Federated Department Stores announced last week it's selling all 55 Lord & Taylor stores, which includes a location in the Danbury mall. Depending on the buyer, the store could continue on or meet the fate of Filene's.

By the end of the year, two of the mall's five anchor stores could be gone.

What happens next at the mall?

Currently, all five anchor stores ? including Sears, JC Penney and Macy's ? are department stores. While mall officials weren't talking Monday, some economic observers think possible replacements for Filene's and Lord & Taylor might not be traditional department stores.

Possibilities include large specialty stores such as Burlington Coat Factory, a movie theater multiplex or several restaurants.

"It could end up being a different way of looking at anchor space," said Stephen Bull, president of the Greater Danbury Area Chamber of Commerce.

Bull said the mall's popularity should entice new tenants.

Drawing its base from New York and western Connecticut, the 180-store mall attracts an estimated 10 million people every year. It's widely considered one of the most profitable malls in the region.

According to research on the mall's Web site, the average household income of Danbury area residents is more than $112,000, compared to roughly the $65,000 nationwide average.

"It's always been a successful mall," said Fred Maidment, an associate professor of management at Western Connecticut State University.

The changes at Danbury Fair mall started when Federated Department Stores bought May Department Stores last fall. May had owned Filene's and the somewhat more upscale Lord & Taylor.

Federated, which owns Macy's, decided to close seven Filene's, including the Danbury locations. The 40 others are being converted into Macy's stores.

Advertisement

Click for Larger Image  
MYKONOS PIZZA RESTAURANT
10 HAYESTOWN AVE
DANBURY
CT 06811
PHONE: 2037971822
Federated spokesman Jim Sluzewski said closing sales will began at the Danbury Filene's starting Jan. 29. When the merchandise runs out, it will close. No buyer has been picked yet, he said.

Most of the 270 employees have or will be offered jobs elsewhere, company officials have said.

Sluzewski said the Filene's locations could possibly be sold to different owners. But Federated wants to sell the Lord & Taylor stores as one package he said.

Federated officials said they are selling Lord & Taylor because they want to focus on their other department stores, Macy's and Bloomingdales.

Sluzewski said the 70,000 square-foot Danbury Lord & Taylor is too small for a full department store. Macy's occupies about 241,000 square feet of the 1.2 million-square-foot mall. Filene's takes up about 172,000 square-feet.

Sluzewski said Federated would even consider selling to competitors. "That's not out of the question. We are talking to retailers, we are talking to developers," he said.

Several observers have said more upscale retailers like Nordstrom or Saks Fifth Avenue could fill the department store void.

Shoppers were surprised to hear Monday that the future of Lord & Taylor might be up in the air.

"I like it (Lord & Taylor) because it has higher end brands you can't get at other department stores," said Brookfield High School senior Anna Goddard. She likes the brand Free People. "(The store) has nice tank tops and sweaters."

Goddard said she wasn't sure what type of business she would choose to fill the vacant mall space, but she said a theater would be a nice idea.

Her father, Dean Goddard of Millbrook, N.Y., said he could tell Lord & Taylor was going downhill because the quality of merchandise over Christmas was "mediocre." He bought some Christmas presents there.

"Lord & Taylor used to mean quality," Goddard said of a chain that debuted in 1826. It always "has been associated with high quality, the name, more so than Macy's or Filene's. It ranks up there with Brooks Brothers in sales and now it's gone."

While another department store is a possibility, more and more malls are turning to other stores.

According to a 2005 report from the International Council of Shopping Centers, an industry trade group, about one-fifth of mall anchor stores are not department stores. Alternatives include cinemas, sporting good stores, large-scale restaurants and discounters like Wal-Mart or Target.

Malls are focusing less on department stores because several mainstays, such as Montgomery Ward and Alexander's, went out of business in recent years.

"I think you'll see someone take their space," WestConn's Maidment said of Lord & Taylor and Filene's. "I think you'll see a more specialized operation take the space than a general, traditional stores take that space."

Maidment said it's harder for traditional department stores to stay competitive as more retailers, ranging from Wal-Mart to JC Penney, offer higher-priced name brands.

He suggested that stores with more focused inventories, such as L.L. Bean or Burlington Coat Factory, could be options.

"It won't be going head to head with Macy's," he said.

Staff writer Heather Barr contributed to this report.

Contact Robert Gold

at rgold@newstimes.com