Federated/May Buyout - Goodbye to Many Brand Names!

Started by jmn3, July 28, 2005, 07:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmn3

Well it's official today.  Federated plans on converting 330 current stores from the various brand names of the May Co. to Macy's.  Say goodbye to Kaufmann's, Hecht's, Filene's, Foley's, Famous-Barr, and so on.  Good news - so far Lord & Taylor and Marshall Fields have been spared.  

Article from USA Today below...

Company says 330 May stores will become Macy's
CINCINNATI (AP) ? Federated Department Stores (FD) said Thursday that some 330 stores being acquired in its pending merger with May Department Stores will be converted to Macy's stores.
Among the nameplates that will be gone as of fall 2006 are Famous-Barr, Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's, company spokesman Jim Sluzewski said.

Federated also announced plans to sell 68 stores, 27 of them currently Federated stores, in 2006. The conversions will bring the total number of Macy's stores nationwide to 730, the company said.

"Macy's emerged as a premier national retailer in March 2005, when we changed Federated's regional department store nameplates," Terry Lundgren, Federated's chairman, president and chief executive officer said in a statement. "We will continue that process in 2006 by converting many of May Company's regional store nameplates to Macy's. Customers will benefit from having the best of both worlds ? the national reach of the Macy's brand, along with community commitment and local focus for which May Company and Federated are well-known."

The company said it is still studying the Marshall Field's name, which represents 60 stores. Federated also said it would maintain the Lord & Taylor name, currently on 58 stores.

Federated repeated an earlier pledge not to eliminate any jobs before next March 1. All May stores will operate under their existing nameplates through this year's holiday shopping season.

Shareholders of both companies approved the merger this month. Federated expects the merger to close in the third quarter, following completion of regulatory review.

Caldor1999

wow a big expansion for macys but if u think about it Famous-Barr, Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's are all the same store just with a diffren name and im happy to see Lord & Taylor is still gonna be around and macys will go even further:) but i womder what will happen to malls if they already ahve a Macys in them will the outher store become a bloomingdales or something??????

i do think this will work out for all these stores although im gonna miss filene's but there will still be filene's basement:)
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
wow a big expansion for macys but if u think about it Famous-Barr, Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's are all the same store just with a diffren name and im happy to see Lord & Taylor is still gonna be around and macys will go even further:) but i womder what will happen to malls if they already ahve a Macys in them will the outher store become a bloomingdales or something??????

i do think this will work out for all these stores although im gonna miss filene's but there will still be filene's basement:)

I WILL MISS FILENE's too. WHY DO AWAY WITH FILENE's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

By the way, There is going to be somehwat of a glut in empty stores filene's will be renameD Macy's.

it says macy's will sell its stores in Braintree, Brockton (I HAVE BEEN TO THAT ONE AND IT WAS VERY SMALL AND IS SAID TO BE 73,000 square feet), Framingham and Peabody and Warwick RI (I saw that one last satruday)

The filene's will be sold in DAnbury, waterford and Trumbull ct as well as Burlington and Hyannis (I HAVE BEEN IN THAT STORE AND IT IS VERY SMALL) mass, and south portland maine and albany ny.

Nothing is said about the overlap in Newington (both macy's and filene's there are small) and Salem NH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are malls I have seen with both Macy's and FIlene's (NH: SAlem, newington, Nashua, MA: Brockton, Boston Crossings, Burlington, Natick, Braintree, Hyannis, Peabody, ME: SOuth portland, RI: warwick) and know of (Waterford Ct, Albany CT), but 3 miles away form the FIlene's in Manchester NH is the Macy's in Bedford NH and nothing is said of those 2 stores.

This is another change. They bought out Jordan Marsh nearly 10 years ago.

jmn3

Well I know locally in Buffalo, we have no current Federated presence, so our stores are safe for now.  Kaufmann's has a separate Men's Store at Boulevard Mall and a separate Home Store at McKinley Mall, as well as having both a Kaufmann's and Lord & Taylor at Walden Galleria.  However, I'd venture to say that all of these are safe.

In Pittsburgh, I read where they are planning to make three closings.  The South Hills Village and Monroeville Mall Kaufmann's stores are both planning to close because of Macy's already located in those malls (formerly Lazarus stores, and before that, Joseph Horne Co. stores).  The Ross Park Mall in the North Hills will see it's current Macy's store close in favor of the larger Kaufmann's location - which will change to Macy's in 2006.  

I also read where the Filene's store at Crossgates Mall in Albany will close because of the existing Macy's store (which is a shame because that Macy's is horrible - much better Macy's down the road at Colonie Center).  If I am not mistaken, this will leave one end of that mall completely void of an anchor with both Filene's and Lord & Taylor closed or closing.  

I haven't seen any articles yet confirming that Federated will be opening up Bloomingdale's in any of the locations, but I would bet that in some of the larger locations in populated areas where there are no current Bloomie's (i.e. Albany, Pittsburgh), you will see some pop up.   There's also talk in Pittsburgh of Nordstrom possibly opening up locations at Ross Park and South Hills Village.

Definitley going to be interesting to see how Macy's fares as a true national brand.  I too am glad to see Lord & Taylor is staying.  Hopefully Federated can continue to pump some dollars into that store and bring it back to the upscale level that it was for so many years until May basically turned it into the same store as all of their others within the last 10 years.  I wonder though, will they actually keep Marshall Field's around?  I think they would riot in Chicago if they try to turn it into Macy's or Bloomingdale's or Lord & Taylor.  :yup:

In Buffalo it's sort of amusing...four names in 25 years...
18??-1981 - Hengerer's, 1981-90 - Sibley's, 1990-06 - Kaufmann's, 2006-?? - Macy's

amesman

I believe that the Filenes at Crossgates will become Macy's, and the old Macy's(former Jordan Marsh) will become Bloomingdales, or a new Lord and Taylor. The former Lord and Taylor does not have a tenant currently lined up. Crossgates is the busiest mall in the state. They won't leave one end of the mall vacant. There's no way. And, the Buffalo Kaufmann's stores(At least two of them, will become Macy's). And,  both the Crossgates and Colonie Center Macy's stores are awesome!. Nethier on of then stink. But, your entitled to your opinion I guess...

jmn3

This from the Albany Business Review...

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2005/07/25/daily35.html

The Filene's department store in Crossgates Mall is closing as a result of the merger between Federated Department Stores Inc. and The May Department Stores Co.

There's more but I just wanted to cite my source....how amusing would it be to have L&T close at Crossgates, then a year or so later, re-open under different ownership.  Stranger things have happened.

Zayre88

Filene's has 46 stores in the six New England states and in New York:
22 in Massachusetts,
9 in Connecticut,
6 in New York,
4 in New Hampshire,
2 in Maine,
2 in Rhode Island
1 in Vermont.

Most of those stores will convert to the Macy's's name sometime in the fall of 2006.

Seven stores will be sold: 3 Connecticut stores in Danbury, Waterford, and Trumbull; 2 Massachusetts stores in Burlington and Hyannis; 1 Maine store in Portland; and one New York store in Albany.

5 New England Macy's stores will be sold: 4 in Massachusetts in Braintree, Brockton, Framingham and Peabody, and 1 in Warwick, R.I.

So Filene's will close at the Maine Mall, become Macy's in Bangor.  NH stores are all located in malls with a Macy's except for Manchester where Macy's is located in a free-standing store in nearby Bedford.

store215

I will not be missing the Strawbridge's banner that much. Not really a chain I cared for as they ditched a lot of departments and basicaly catered to the "older crowd". Hopefully Federated didn't take on more than they can handle, otherwise there will be many, many dead malls. It will be sad to see the store in the Neshaminy Mall in Bensalem, PA go though, as this store is all very late 60's vintage (exterior and in-mall entrance wise). It will be strange seeing this store become a Macy's.

store215

List of stores that will be closing: (and probably more than this)

Current May Company stores
                                             Sq. Ft.            Date
Nameplate/Location        City/State          (000)   Employees Opened
------------------        ----------         ------   --------- ------
Famous-Barr/ Eastland
 Mall                     Evansville, IN        180        138   1996
Filene's/Burlington Mall  Burlington, MA        182        262   1968
Filene's/Cape Cod Home
 store                    Hyannis, MA            40         23   1970
Filene's/Crossgates Mall  Albany, NY            201        170   1994
Filene's/Crystal Mall     Waterford, CT          90        153   1984
Filene's/Danbury Fair
 Mall                     Danbury, CT           172        269   1986
Filene's/Maine Mall -
 Main/Men's               Portland, ME          157        226   1983
Filene's/Trumbull         Trumbull, CT          200        222   1978
Hecht's/Wheaton           Wheaton, MD           179        235   1987
Kaufmann's/Monroeville
 Mall                     Monroeville, PA       262        274   1987
Kaufmann's/Polaris
 Fashion Place            Columbus, OH          200        174   2001
Kaufmann's/Richland       Mansfield, OH         132         99   1969
Kaufmann's/South Hills
 Village                  Pittsburgh, PA        258        284   1987
Kaufmann's/Mall at Tuttle
 Crossing                 Columbus, OH          227        188   2003
L.S. Ayres/Castleton
 Square                   Indianapolis, IN      207        284   1990
Strawbridge's/Cherry Hill
 Mall                     Cherry Hill, NJ       258        267   1961
Strawbridge's/Christiana
 Mall                     Newark, DE            214        191   1978
Strawbridge's/Deptford
 Mall                     Deptford, NJ          173        160   1995
Strawbridge's/King of     King of Prussia,
 Prussia Plaza             PA                   215        219   1995
Strawbridge's/Lehigh
 Valley Mall              Whitehall, PA         173        112   1995
Strawbridge's/Montgomery
 Mall                     North Wales, PA       184        418   1995
Strawbridge's/Oxford
 Valley Mall              Langhorne, PA         178        137   1995
Strawbridge's/Springfield
 Mall                     Springfield, PA       186        252   1997
Strawbridge's/Willow
 Grove Park               Willow Grove, PA      235        213   1988
Robinsons-May/Del Amo
 Fashion Center           Torrance, CA          180        298   1981
Robinsons-May/Fiesta Mall Mesa, AZ              159        135   1979
Robinsons-May/Fox Hills   Culver City, CA       150        159   1975
Robinsons-May/Glendale
 Galleria                 Glendale, CA          179        283   1993
Robinsons-May/Los
 Cerritos Center          Cerritos, CA          153        224   1971
Robinsons-May/Main Place
 (north)                  Santa Ana, CA         149        178   1991
Robinsons-May/North
 County Fair (north)      Escondido, CA         112         86   1986
Robinsons-May/Northridge
 Fashion Center           Northridge, CA        191        218   1995
Robinsons-May/The Oaks
 S.C. (south)             Thousand Oaks, CA     150         86   1978
Robinsons-May/Pacific     San Buenaventura,
 View Mall                 CA                   205        158   1999
Robinsons-May/Plaza
 Camino Real              Carlsbad, CA          150        144   1969
Robinsons-May/Santa Anita Arcadia, CA           181        224   1976
Robinsons-May/Santa
 Monica Place             Santa Monica, CA      137        148   1981
Robinsons-May/University
 Town Ctr                 La Jolla, CA          147        176   1978
Robinsons-May/Valley
 Plaza S.C.               Bakersfield, CA       130        156   1988
Robinsons-May/Victoria    Rancho Cucamonga,
 Gardens                   CA                   180        221   2004

Current Macy's stores
                                             Sq. Ft.            Date
Division/Location         City/State          (000)   Employees Opened
Macy's Central/Eastland
 Mall                     Columbus, OH          245        184   1967
Macy's Central/Greenwood  Greenwood, IN         160        168   1980
Macy's Central/Ross Park  Pittsburgh, PA        201        220   1986
Macy's East/Fair Oaks     Fairfax, VA           220        273   2000
Macy's East/Marley
 Station                  Glen Burnie, MD       267        195   1987
Macy's East/Natick Mall   Framingham, MA        211        275   1994
Macy's East/Northshore
 Mall                     Peabody, MA           301        325   1958
Macy's East/Owings Mills  Owings Mills, MD      267        228   1986
Macy's East/Pheasant Lane Nashua, NH            128        141   1986
Macy's East/Southshore
 Plaza                    Braintree, MA         303        261   1967
Macy's East/Warwick Mall  Warwick, RI           309        289   1970
Macy's East/Westgate Mall Brockton, MA           73        118   1977
Macy's East/White Marsh   Perry Hall, MD        198        182   1981
Macy's Northwest/Valley
 River Mall               Eugene, OR            123        127   1990
Macy's West/Coronado
 Center                   Albuquerque, NM       153        157   1976
Macy's West/Galleria at
 Tyler                    Riverside, CA         156        180   1970
Macy's West/Houston
 Galleria                 Houston, TX           256        322   1986
Macy's West/Inland Center San Bernardino, CA    145        193   1966
Macy's West/Lakewood
 Center                   Los Angeles, CA       208        254   2000
Macy's West/Mission Viejo Mission Viejo, CA     197        243   1980
Macy's West/Montclair
 Plaza                    Montclair, CA         147        206   1968
Macy's West/North Star
 Mall                     San Antonio, TX       178        185   1997
Macy's West/Palm Desert -
 apparel/home             Palm Desert, CA       195        303   1983
Macy's West/Paradise
 Valley                   Phoenix, AZ           184        199   1991
Macy's West/Stonebriar
 Mall                     Dallas, TX            210        160   2000
Macy's West/West Covina   West Covina, CA       150        225   1975

Caldor1999

the resion why Federated is getting rid or most of these stores is because there all the same and if a mall already has a macys in it there there a filenes im sure that filenes will become a Macys like the one in Danbury CT

im gonna miss filenes to but al long as Macys  Bloomingdales and Lord & Taylor are still aorund amall will befine and i think this will do good for so many and it makes it easyer because the may company had so many stores that were alike but with a different name
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
I believe that the Filenes at Crossgates will become Macy's, and the old Macy's(former Jordan Marsh) will become Bloomingdales, or a new Lord and Taylor. The former Lord and Taylor does not have a tenant currently lined up. Crossgates is the busiest mall in the state. They won't leave one end of the mall vacant. There's no way. And, the Buffalo Kaufmann's stores(At least two of them, will become Macy's). And,  both the Crossgates and Colonie Center Macy's stores are awesome!. Nethier on of then stink. But, your entitled to your opinion I guess...

trust me that mall has seen alot of closed stores in the past inculding Caldor and Jordan marsh anmd they werwe able to fill them up that mall is not going anywere and besides ive been there an di like that mall:)
Caldor Forever!

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
This from the Albany Business Review...

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2005/07/25/daily35.html

The Filene's department store in Crossgates Mall is closing as a result of the merger between Federated Department Stores Inc. and The May Department Stores Co.

There's more but I just wanted to cite my source....how amusing would it be to have L&T close at Crossgates, then a year or so later, re-open under different ownership.  Stranger things have happened.

Oh, ok. Sorry. I thought you were just speculating..hehe. I believe ethier Fillenes or the old Lord and Taylor will beome something else. Does this mean that the current Macys will become something else while the Filenes becomes Macys?

amesman

And just to let you guys know, the current Filenes in Crossgates is not the original one. The original Filenes from 1984(when the mall opened) was located where the current Dick's Sporting Goods/Cohoes Fashions is(ironically, across from the current Macys(former Jordan Marsh)).

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
close all those stores?

its cheaper just to change the name!!!!!!

well there just gonna get rid of the name they did this with Jordan Marsh in 1996 so tis gonna be something simaler to that im happy to see macys is gonna expaned cause its a afordbul Dept store outt Sears and JC Penny ect and if a mall already has a Macys and there a filenes in there that stroe will most likey become bloomingdalesd witch is a store i love not cheep but i love it lol

mean while what company runs Nordstrim or is it own company????
Caldor Forever!

Rayco7030

Posted 7/28/2005 9:58 AM     Updated 7/28/2005 10:07 PM
  Some famous store names to disappear
By Lorrie Grant, USA TODAY
Department store chain Macy's will become a national brand ? and many longstanding regional store names will disappear ? after this holiday season, its parent, Federated Department Stores (FD), announced Thursday.
Federated, which also owns Bloomingdale's, is paying about $11 billion in cash and stock for May Department Stores in a deal expected to close in the third quarter pending regulatory approval.

Federated said it will convert about 330 May locations to Macy's, dropping such names as Famous-Barr, Robinsons-May, Foley's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's.

The additions will give Macy's 726 stores reaching nearly every major market. It will be the biggest department-store chain, but absorbing the May brands poses risks.

"They have to minimize vulnerability to losing the loyal May customer," says Kenneth Bernhardt, marketing department chairman of the Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University.

A few stores are being considered to become Bloomingdale's, and Federated will close 68 overlapping stores in 66 malls. Undetermined is the fate of May's Marshall Field's and Lord & Taylor chains.

Federated CEO Terry Lundgren said in a telephone interview that he needs to learn more about those brands, and some of that data is unavailable under federal rules until the deal closes.

Lundgren noted Lord & Taylor stores are about half the size of a typical Macy's and said, "I want to know more about their vision for that brand: Can it stand alone?" He likened Marshall Field's to high-end Macy's on the West Coast. "I'm trying to be very respectful to the Marshall Field's brand name."

Federated already has converted its regional store brands ? Burdines, The Bon March?, Rich's ? to Macy's, but first put both names on them as a transition. He might not do that with the May stores: "I'm not prepared to say whether there would be a hyphen strategy in the name or it stands on its own."

But one brand expert say hyphenating for the conversion would be sensitive to the emotional attachments of loyal customers to the brand names and to their expectations of service and value.

"In the desire to have economies of scale and efficiencies, the retailer forgets that so much of brand value fits in the name and the experience tied to the name," says Joseph LePla, principal of branding and marketing consulting firm Parker LePla.

Similar care might be needed with the private merchandise labels. "Federated should bring in some of the Macy's private brands but keep some of the May equity where shoppers have made a bond," says Robert Lepre of the New England Consulting Group.

posted by USA today
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Caldor1999

Well I'll just think my Bloomingdale's Burdine's or Macy's as Filene's that got bought by Federated just like my G.Fox changed to Filene's

basically My Bloomingdales/ Burdine's/ Macy's would be still Filene's that bought G. Fox and changed the name.

ALAS G.FOX LIVES ON!!!!!!:bigsmile:

im happy there getting rid of teh cookey cutter dept stores and this Move will make Macys the Largest Dept Store i am gonna miss Filene's though
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

It's not like they are just changing the name...they will be completely reformatting the current May stores into Federated brand stores (whether Macy's, or Bloomingdale's, or whatever...).  From the signage, to the selection in the stores, to how the inside is laid out and decorated...it's all going to be different.  

Hahah...it will be nice to see if Macy's will bring in some new Christmas decor.  Kaufmann's stupid "Celebrate the Season" tablecloths at least in WNY date back almost as far as the Sibley's days.

LazarusFan

I heard that on the news yesterday.  I'm glad however, that they are going to have a Macy's back in downtown Columbus.  They better not close the Kaufmann's in downtown Pittsburgh.

I want to see Parisian come into the Columbus area replacing the three or two former Kaufmann stores.  That can be a reality.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by LazarusFan
I heard that on the news yesterday.  I'm glad however, that they are going to have a Macy's back in downtown Columbus.  They better not close the Kaufmann's in downtown Pittsburgh.

I want to see Parisian come into the Columbus area replacing the three or two former Kaufmann stores.  That can be a reality.

well its good that Kaufmann's is gonna become Macys because Kaufmann;s Filenes ect are just the same store with a diffrent name i think they should Keep Lord & Taylor and Marshle Feilds and run thoughs stores too
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by LazarusFan

I agree...it would be such a blow to Pittsburgh to lose that store...as well as the fact that it remains such a great old store - it would be really bad if they closed it.  However, keep in mind, Federated has already shuttered stores twice in downtown Pittsburgh.  They closed Horne's when they bought that chain out and changed it to Lazarus, then after several years, they built a brand new Lazarus store and closed that just last year.

LazarusFan

They did the same thing with Lazarus flagship store in Columbus.  Once Macy's name changes in the Columbus area, Macy's ruined the name sake of the downtown Columbus store.  Macy's returning to downtown Columbus is bittersweet.

amesman

Here's the Carousel Center Kaufmann's in Syracuse.

thedisneystore967

my mother's side of the family is incridibly sad that hecht's is closing.1 of my aunts even went as far to say that she would walk around naked if there wasn't hecht's anymore!:o:insane:

by me hecht's is everywhere you look so i am afraid that  there are going to be a hell of a lot of macy's around here soon.:no:

HoJofan206

Macy's is going to be the "Wal-Mart" of this segment of the retail industry. :mad:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Macy's is going to be the "Wal-Mart" of this segment of the retail industry. :mad:

good beacsue i like macys and macys is not a big box store and is sooo much bette rthen wal mart and its a good thing feridite is getting rid or the kaffmans filenes ect because there the same store just with a diffrent name byt same lay out and such

and macys is a great dept stor e they sell nice stuff that is resonbley priced u dont see that at sears or JC Penny
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by thedisneystore967
my mother's side of the family is incridibly sad that hecht's is closing.1 of my aunts even went as far to say that she would walk around naked if there wasn't hecht's anymore!:o:insane:

by me hecht's is everywhere you look so i am afraid that  there are going to be a hell of a lot of macy's around here soon.:no:

macys is better then Hectht's they sell better stuff too
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

I think the merchandise is pretty comparable.  Macy's own brands are better than the May stores - but many of the brand names are the same (especially in Men's clothing).  

Personally, I've always liked Hecht's/Kaufmann's/Filene's/etc...even though they all basically were the same store.

jmn3

Just an update to this thread.  Federated announced last week that the Marshall Field's name is going the way of Kaufmann's, Famous-Barr, Filene's, Foley's, Hecht's, etc.  All of the MF stores, including the famous landmark Downtown Chicago store on State Street will be re-branded as Macy's.  

Not sure what the effect will be, but there's a lot of unhappy people in Chicago right now.  Chicago is a funny city, being that it's one of the largest in the nation, yet isn't on the left or right coast.  Personally, I don't think it gets a lot of the same stature that NYC, Boston, LA, and San Francisco get.  And nothing is going to rile up the natives in Chi-town like a store with so many NYC-overtones that Macy's has coming in and replacing a legendary chain like Marshall Fields.  It's an interesting move for them.  I really thought they'd end up keeping Marshall Field's in the mid-west being that it is such a strong brand name.  

I'm really curious about the future of Lord & Taylor now.  I'm thinking they are shopping the chain around to another buyer.  I doubt they will keep L&T, Bloomingdale's, and Macy's.  They'd basically be competing Bloomie's and Lord & Taylor against one and other.  Unless they reposition the brand to be ultra-upscale (over Bloomingdale's)...I don't see any room to position L&T in between Bloomingdale's and Macy's.   Or they make Lord & Taylor a deep discount outlet-type store.  Which I'm positive would have Mr. Lord and Mr. Taylor doing 360's in their respective graves.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
List of stores that will be closing: (and probably more than this)

Current May Company stores
                                             Sq. Ft.            Date
Nameplate/Location        City/State          (000)   Employees Opened
Famous-Barr/ Eastland
 Mall                     Evansville, IN        180        138   1996
Filene's/Burlington Mall  Burlington, MA        182        262   1968
Filene's/Cape Cod Home
 store                    Hyannis, MA            40         23   1970
Filene's/Crossgates Mall  Albany, NY            201        170   1994
Filene's/Crystal Mall     Waterford, CT          90        153   1984
Filene's/Danbury Fair
 Mall                     Danbury, CT           172        269   1986
Filene's/Maine Mall -
 Main/Men's               Portland, ME          157        226   1983
Filene's/Trumbull         Trumbull, CT          200        222   1978
Hecht's/Wheaton           Wheaton, MD           179        235   1987
Kaufmann's/Monroeville
 Mall                     Monroeville, PA       262        274   1987
Kaufmann's/Polaris
 Fashion Place            Columbus, OH          200        174   2001
Kaufmann's/Richland       Mansfield, OH         132         99   1969
Kaufmann's/South Hills
 Village                  Pittsburgh, PA        258        284   1987
Kaufmann's/Mall at Tuttle
 Crossing                 Columbus, OH          227        188   2003
L.S. Ayres/Castleton
 Square                   Indianapolis, IN      207        284   1990
Strawbridge's/Cherry Hill
 Mall                     Cherry Hill, NJ       258        267   1961
Strawbridge's/Christiana
 Mall                     Newark, DE            214        191   1978
Strawbridge's/Deptford
 Mall                     Deptford, NJ          173        160   1995
Strawbridge's/King of     King of Prussia,
 Prussia Plaza             PA                   215        219   1995
Strawbridge's/Lehigh
 Valley Mall              Whitehall, PA         173        112   1995
Strawbridge's/Montgomery
 Mall                     North Wales, PA       184        418   1995
Strawbridge's/Oxford
 Valley Mall              Langhorne, PA         178        137   1995
Strawbridge's/Springfield
 Mall                     Springfield, PA       186        252   1997
Strawbridge's/Willow
 Grove Park               Willow Grove, PA      235        213   1988
Robinsons-May/Del Amo
 Fashion Center           Torrance, CA          180        298   1981
Robinsons-May/Fiesta Mall Mesa, AZ              159        135   1979
Robinsons-May/Fox Hills   Culver City, CA       150        159   1975
Robinsons-May/Glendale
 Galleria                 Glendale, CA          179        283   1993
Robinsons-May/Los
 Cerritos Center          Cerritos, CA          153        224   1971
Robinsons-May/Main Place
 (north)                  Santa Ana, CA         149        178   1991
Robinsons-May/North
 County Fair (north)      Escondido, CA         112         86   1986
Robinsons-May/Northridge
 Fashion Center           Northridge, CA        191        218   1995
Robinsons-May/The Oaks
 S.C. (south)             Thousand Oaks, CA     150         86   1978
Robinsons-May/Pacific     San Buenaventura,
 View Mall                 CA                   205        158   1999
Robinsons-May/Plaza
 Camino Real              Carlsbad, CA          150        144   1969
Robinsons-May/Santa Anita Arcadia, CA           181        224   1976
Robinsons-May/Santa
 Monica Place             Santa Monica, CA      137        148   1981
Robinsons-May/University
 Town Ctr                 La Jolla, CA          147        176   1978
Robinsons-May/Valley
 Plaza S.C.               Bakersfield, CA       130        156   1988
Robinsons-May/Victoria    Rancho Cucamonga,
 Gardens                   CA                   180        221   2004

Current Macy's stores
                                             Sq. Ft.            Date
Division/Location         City/State          (000)   Employees Opened
Macy's Central/Eastland
 Mall                     Columbus, OH          245        184   1967
Macy's Central/Greenwood  Greenwood, IN         160        168   1980
Macy's Central/Ross Park  Pittsburgh, PA        201        220   1986
Macy's East/Fair Oaks     Fairfax, VA           220        273   2000
Macy's East/Marley
 Station                  Glen Burnie, MD       267        195   1987
Macy's East/Natick Mall   Framingham, MA        211        275   1994
Macy's East/Northshore
 Mall                     Peabody, MA           301        325   1958
Macy's East/Owings Mills  Owings Mills, MD      267        228   1986
Macy's East/Pheasant Lane Nashua, NH            128        141   1986
Macy's East/Southshore
 Plaza                    Braintree, MA         303        261   1967
Macy's East/Warwick Mall  Warwick, RI           309        289   1970
Macy's East/Westgate Mall Brockton, MA           73        118   1977
Macy's East/White Marsh   Perry Hall, MD        198        182   1981
Macy's Northwest/Valley
 River Mall               Eugene, OR            123        127   1990
Macy's West/Coronado
 Center                   Albuquerque, NM       153        157   1976
Macy's West/Galleria at
 Tyler                    Riverside, CA         156        180   1970
Macy's West/Houston
 Galleria                 Houston, TX           256        322   1986
Macy's West/Inland Center San Bernardino, CA    145        193   1966
Macy's West/Lakewood
 Center                   Los Angeles, CA       208        254   2000
Macy's West/Mission Viejo Mission Viejo, CA     197        243   1980
Macy's West/Montclair
 Plaza                    Montclair, CA         147        206   1968
Macy's West/North Star
 Mall                     San Antonio, TX       178        185   1997
Macy's West/Palm Desert -
 apparel/home             Palm Desert, CA       195        303   1983
Macy's West/Paradise
 Valley                   Phoenix, AZ           184        199   1991
Macy's West/Stonebriar
 Mall                     Dallas, TX            210        160   2000
Macy's West/West Covina   West Covina, CA       150        225   1975

http://www.federated-fds.com/ir/maymerger/template/pressrelease.asp?item_id=771927

mentiosn more divestures.

JimSawhill

Well I'll just think my Bloomingdale's Burdine's or Macy's as Filene's that got bought by Federated just like my G.Fox changed to Filene's

basically My Bloomingdales/ Burdine's/ Macy's would be still Filene's that bought G. Fox and changed the name.

ALAS G.FOX LIVES ON!!!!!!:bigsmile:

Maybe someone smart will lease the closing stores in Danbury, Waterford, Trumbull (but they are putting Macy's on the ENFIELD's G. Fox/Filene's!!??) and Warwick and revive the G.Fox name. :)
     I'd love to see G Fox rise from the ashes -- along with Barker's. :)