Walking Through A Closed Down Store

Started by storehistoryguy, July 26, 2005, 09:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Have you ever walked through a closed down store? I've done it countless times and its spooky. Its even spooky to walk through one where you remember walking through it when it was open.

tokensafari

Jag67

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
how would you do that??:huh:

Find a store that is easy to get into.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
how would you do that??:huh:

Find a store that is easy to get into.

just eb careful of teh alarm lol i wanan walk thorugh a old caldor and i can cause the one in Newgtion CT is still tehre and he one in Midletown NY by yea it must be creepy i wonder what the store smells like after  years od being cloed down
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

I partially walked around a closed store once (well, not really) There was a just-closed Acme market (it moved a town over to a large, new store). I was able to walk around in the lobby as the front doors were open, but the inside doors were locked.

And this doesn't really count, but I walked through the closed Drug Emporium when it was a temporary book store. It was funny seeing where the rX counter once was, and where all the checkouts and other things once were.

Jag67

The closest thing I've came to walking in an old store is walking AROUND the parimeter of our former K-mart before it was demolished. I used to start at the outparcel bank (Which closed on Sept. 15, 1999-the sign saying that was still there in 2004!!) then I would go up the walkway to The K-Mart store- it was at the far end of the plaza and the area was dead. I peeked inside the store (Which had been torn up by vandals shortly after the store closed and then by the asbestos removal people) and it was destroyed-it didnt even look like a K-Mart!! All the windows were smashed (by the vandals) and boarded up. I peeked inside a small window and found dozens of destroyed shelves just thrown in a pile. I walked over to the side of the store where people had been dumping stuff, including a number of microwaves, furnuture, and about 10 or so Fodder's Guides. it was pretty sad to see. So I went over enterance of the store (Near the garden center) and in a pile found the remains of the doorbell and a bunch of Hot Wheels car racks, which still had the price tags on them. Erriely, a Hot wheels car was the last thing I had ever bought in the store. So I continued to the back. By this time the store had been closed for 2 years so a few weeds were starting to grow in the pavement..but not too many.And then I found the jackpot- a whole row of K-mart carts!! Unfortunately, I couldnt take any.

amesman

The South Hills Mall Service Merchandise in Poughkeepsie, New York has been converted into a makeshift mall entrance, with a roped off "hallway" going through it, to the inner mall entrance. It's wierd...

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
The South Hills Mall Service Merchandise in Poughkeepsie, New York has been converted into a makeshift mall entrance, with a roped off "hallway" going through it, to the inner mall entrance. It's wierd...

how do u go through there when u enter the mall do u go though the Whole Stre and do u see whats left:question:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

how do u go through there when u enter the mall do u go though the Whole Stre and do u see whats left:question:

All you really do is go through the hallway they've created. That's the only part you can actually walk through. All the rest is roped off.

dayville81

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

All you really do is go through the hallway they've created. That's the only part you can actually walk through. All the rest is roped off.

You should go over the rope and take photos of the store. Anything left in the store like shopping carts? Maybe take a walk around when nobody is looking move the ropes to the side and open it up for all. We all should be able to walk through closed stores. That would be cool.

Caldor1999

i say try to sneek in a store thats really daed and one that s not located in a populated aries when i went to the caldor in middletown i nodiced teh back dore wasent locked and i opend it but i only took a peeek all i saw was nothing but darkenss of what was once caldors stage room i dident wanan go in manley because it was unlocked and i dont know wh could be in there but it was kida cool to see inside :)
Caldor Forever!

datrain021

The closest thing to a vacant store I've been in was when Big Bear was closing. I was in my store for the next to the last day and it was very sad walking around once vibrant sections of the store that were now roped off and empty.

Marc82

Someday if I get up the nerve I'm going to see if me and a friend can get into the empty Shaw's Supermarket we both worked at on Queen Street in Southington. They closed on 10/28 and had all the remaining merchandise moved out by Wednesday the 1st of November. All the shelves and checkout stands are still there.  They store is mostly dark, but there are some lights on. All the shopping carts are gone. The sign is off the building (it was taken down on 10/30 and it's off the sign by Queen Street too). I just don't know if the Closed Circuit TVs are still set up or not. It's possible that they are becuase the entrance is still lighted up.

What is weird is the Price Chopper Supermarket I now work for is in the old KMART building. The interior is changed so much I can't even remember how it looked when it was KMART. (When they were building the Price Chopper the completly bulldozed the interior).

Ameskid

I walked through about 1/2 of the old Ames in Randallstown, Maryland. About 1/4 of the store was being used as a Halloween Express-type store, and I got to walk through the other2/4 before the employees caught me and I didn't get to see the remaining 1/4 of the store. Did end up with a dingy Ames baseball card, a price tag (red logo), a shelf price tag for an electric guitar, and (dahh-duh-duhduhduh-duhhhhhh) 3 Plan-O-Grams, one with a pic of how the Cell Phone Accessories section looked when Ames was still operating! Happy times....(though I was there for my granddad's funeral). This was about a month ago.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Caldor1999

i walked through a vacant service emrhcandise before its used as a mall entrance now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Bristol Centre Mall months before they finally locked it up. Ever play the [video] game Silent Hill? You can almost hear the radio static beneath the stench of your grandmother's basement.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

amesman

I used to walk through the Dutchess Mall when it was dead but still open. I wish I had pics, but I was about 10 at the time. No camera back then.

beachgal26

Ta da!  I have the coolest story of al since I actually got to walk through the Mall of Memphis on 3 occasions during the early stages of it being demolished 2 years ago.  :yup:  :yup:

The weirdest part of all was that the entrance where the ice rink was had been completely opened and you could walk right in.  There were construction trucks around and not once did anyone ask why a girl with a camera was walking around inside.  (Of course, my family was horrified that I could have been mugged or raped, but it never even entered my mind that I had anything to be afraid of!)  :D

I was able to take some great pictures and even got to run up and down the non-functioning escalators and take one of the chairs from the food court as my fina souvenir.  If I can ever get the time to scan the photos, I promise that I will post them on the site.  :D

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
Ta da!  I have the coolest story of al since I actually got to walk through the Mall of Memphis on 3 occasions during the early stages of it being demolished 2 years ago.  :yup:  :yup:

The weirdest part of all was that the entrance where the ice rink was had been completely opened and you could walk right in.  There were construction trucks around and not once did anyone ask why a girl with a camera was walking around inside.  (Of course, my family was horrified that I could have been mugged or raped, but it never even entered my mind that I had anything to be afraid of!)  :D

I was able to take some great pictures and even got to run up and down the non-functioning escalators and take one of the chairs from the food court as my fina souvenir.  If I can ever get the time to scan the photos, I promise that I will post them on the site.  :D

That's pretty cool, lucky you..I'd love to see the pics.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Hddfan135

I apologize for reviving this topic, but..

I remember walking through the vacant stienbach in Hawley Lane Mall while going to target. Trust me, it was creepy. The racks on the wall were empty and the hangers were removed. Some hangers and other display equipment were in a pile on the floor. Some lights were on, but it was mostly dark.

AmesNewington

I've never walked through an empty store, but I frequently visit the A&P Super Foodmart in Newington (I just drive by the store slowly). With this store, you can see the entire store from the outside because the windows run right along the front of the store. One night passing through the parking lot, I saw two people running through the store days after the store was cleared of shelves. The landlord leaves the lights on 24/7 so you can see everything. When the two intruders saw me, they ran!

JSIDA17

I took a walk through the Dayville, CT Ames once, unfortunately the entire inside was gutted but at least I found a red logo price tag and a red Ames shopping cart! (Couldn't take it though)

TheFugitive

Towards the end of the failed attempts to save the Parkway Center Mall in Pittsburgh
they brought in a flea market to occupy the closed upper half of the mall (the former
Phar-Mor, Syms and CompUSA locations).  So you got to roam around three closed stores
with a bunch of random vendors sitting at tables scattered about.  Weird!  Compounded
by the fact that the mall management did not turn the heat back on in any of these locations.

busman_49

It's been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but the Cincinnati Mall in Forest Park/Fairfield is about as closed-down as a place can get while still being legally accessible.  Three anchors are open, as are about 4 inline shops and only one food court establishment.  It's a great walking track!