Main Menu

Ames competition

Started by Zayre88, January 07, 2005, 09:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

I once downloaded a Powerpoint from Ames investors information page maybe in 98 or 99.  I kept this image of a slide wich presents the Ames Competition section of the presentation...  i doubt a situation like that ever happened :o

The sad thing is that i've lost that powerpoint over the years...:(

Anonymous

It did in at least one place - Glens Falls, NY (it may even be the photo you have - I don't remember exactly, only saw it once).  At this time, the Ames is being demolished to enlarge the WalMart into a Super Center.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I once downloaded a Powerpoint from Ames investors information page maybe in 98 or 99.  I kept this image of a slide wich presents the Ames Competition section of the presentation...  i doubt a situation like that ever happened :o

palooza68

I NEVER THOUGHT I SEE THE DAY WHEN A WAL-MART&AMES WOULD BE RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.::mad::o:mad::o

shakethis1234

It was like that in oswego New york. Ames plaza which had a Ames  in it until 2002. Next to th Plaza is a Walmart soon to be a Super Walmart. In that Plaza is a Tops food store. Preaty Soon the only place to shop at is Walmart.:mad::flaming:

amesman

That is the Glens Falls, NY one. heh

Chris

I don't know about all of you, but I'd love to see that same picture with all the cars at Ames, not Wal-Mart! It would be the greatest thing. I'd be at Ames.

amesman

That Ames used to be a Zayre, and, I was going to take pics of it, but, my camera was screwed up. I guess I'm too late, because they tore it down to expand Wal Mart into a Supercenter:flaming:

tokensafari

Ames had a store in Gallipolis, Ohio (former Hills). A WalMart SuperCenter was built tw houses over from the Ames store. It didn't go out, until Ames closed the Hills stores it had acquired in '98.  A quick bit of info, is that the Ames store was very small, i would say 60,000 sq if that!

Anonymous

AmesmanBBTB here

Ames and Walmart right next to each other?:holysh:

BAD COMBINATION!:o:no:

Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris
I don't know about all of you, but I'd love to see that same picture with all the cars at Ames, not Wal-Mart! It would be the greatest thing. I'd be at Ames.

:cool:

AmesmanBBTB

yeah and a the bottom the caption would say "nowadays everybody's shopping at Ames why arn't you?" lol:D:D:D:bigsmile::bouncing::bounce::roll::mrpink::holysh::tumble::yup::dizzy:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

OKAY A POST THAT HAS SOME MEANING

DID AMES THINK THEY COULD BEAT WALMART?

katnapped

Another example was Temple PA (north of Reading).  Ames was there first, Smiley Mart decided to build a supercenter in the same shopping center (they demolished 1/4 of it to build it), then shortly after Smiley Mart opened, Ames closed up shop.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
OKAY A POST THAT HAS SOME MEANING

DID AMES THINK THEY COULD BEAT WALMART?

Well, that slide seems to shout:  "Ames competition? we are able to face it! Look...)

Caldor1999

there was a Wal Mart that opend in a former Jamesway in Moheagan Lake NY there was a Caldor right across the street wich was a nice Caldor too Wal mart took Caldors busness away not to mention the Home Depot there put Pergament out of bizz to proving that Wal Mart and Home Depot are to Evil Companys:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: idd rather shop at Kmart Target and Lowens and not to mention mall stores like Macys Sears Filene's Filenes Basment and smaller stores like hot topice and H&M OVER WAL MART AND HOME DEPOT:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Ames303

In Fredonia, N.Y. there was an Ames up the street from an Ames (old Zayre), and they were both open at the same time for quite a while.  Across the street from both was a Hills.  I wish the two had stayed in place during the Hills acquisition, three Ames in less than a 1/2 mile!

J.P.

tokensafari

wasn't there 11 or 12 over-lapping stores or was it much bigger?

Ames#1171

In Cleveland we had three Ames (that were all former Hills) that were about 15 - 20 minutes from each other.  And only two of those Ames, the Parma one that I worked at, and the Brooklyn one, were remodeled completley into Ames.  The third one, Middleburg Heights, kept all the Hills decor.  They had red shopping carts, red checkout counters.  The olny thing they did was add that green border on the top of the walls, that listed the products they sold. That store was one of the stores they closed in a wave of closings in 00-01.  The other two stayes open to the end.
Ames" border="0

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

this was in glens falls new york and now the ames space is a super wal-mart. thanks a lot Ames for letting a wal-mart go super as some peopel would say. i know that there are more supercenters than regular wal-marts.