AMESFANCLUB
January 16, 2018, 09:39:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dairy Queen  (Read 19574 times)
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »

the two that I know of and have eaten at are gone now the one in Saugerties NY is gone as is the one in Lake George NY. I won a Dairy Queen giftcard for $20 a while back but I could only buy Orange Jullius because the shop that did ice cream only in the same mall closed down. Now the closest Dairy Queen to me is 30 miles away in some obscure town called Ghent. Did you know that Dairy Queen is one of the only restaurants that don't have a location in New York City you have to go to New Jersey UGH

I'm guessing you mean in Crossgates (where the DQ closed - both DQ and OJ were side by side, then they opened the current OJ in a different part of the mall, then closed both the others)?

Ghent is not completely obscure - it's the home of the Columbia County Fairgrounds - usually called the Chatham Fair, but while the grounds lie in the VILLAGE of Chatham, they are in the TOWN of Ghent (just to confuse everyone, I guess).  Or at least not for those of us within the county Wink

It is, though a small town and the DQ (which has ice cream, food and added OJ recently) is the only "fast food" type place, which is probably why it sticks around.

There were others at one time - Hudson, now Davi's which is a very similar place with ice cream and food, though in between it was a pharmacy and a used car sales area being the next closest.

The other two current ones I can think of are farther down in Dutchess County - Hyde Park and Wappingers or Fishkill (never can be sure where one ends and the other begins).

http://www.registerstar.com/chatham_courier/news/article_2e170d16-3078-11e3-a8bf-0019bb2963f4.html

Just posting this link to the Register Star about the 50th anniversary of this Dairy Queen in Ghent - the article has a photo of the building being built in 1963, showing the still existing barn shape (although it's been added on to), as well as more current photos.  It also references the other former Dairy Queen in Hudson and the next closest one in Hyde Park.
buzz86us

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »

it is weird I was in fremont ohio earlier this year and they have like every type of chain restaurant there are 2 dairy queens one in the center of town and another toward the limits... how do two dairy queens function in a town like this but not in ny
Hudsons81
Ames 4 Lyfer!

Howdy!

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »

Recently, Dairy Queen has also been hit by a data breach in which malware was installed on their cash registers. It's unbelievable how common data breaches are nowadays...
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

Recently, Dairy Queen has also been hit by a data breach in which malware was installed on their cash registers. It's unbelievable how common data breaches are nowadays...

This is because most of the places still use old technology. They should start upgrading their systems so this will be less likely to happen again.

Some of these breaches occurred in the DQ in the food court at South Hills Village Mall near Pittsburgh.
A new location only a few months old.  Apparently they installed obsolete technology?
Bdubs

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »

Here's a current photo of DQ in Old Saybrook CT. Still has the old logos, and this building was built into the side of a residential home.
retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »

If you've ever experienced frustration not finding a nationally-advertised food item at your local DQ, this recent story might give you a greater appreciation of "non-system" restaurants
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/life-food-and-dining/20161129/eleanor-dairy-queen-a-family-tradition-in-putnam-county
Brammy
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2017, 07:08:26 PM »

There is a seasonal take-out DQ on Route 10 in Plainville, CT. They remodeled the interior and exterior in-between the 2015 and 2016 operating seasons. It's near the little IGA store Gnazzo's. I don't get out that way much and if I do I never have my camera.

There is a year-round sit-down location with a drive-thru on Meriden Waterbury Turnpike in the Plantsville section of Southington.

Brammy
retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 01:12:25 AM »

Apparently the mild February weather in New Hampshire caught the Laconia Dairy Queen off-guard this past weekend:

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Warm-Weather-Leads-to-Ice-Cream-Shortage-at-Laconia-Dairy-Queen-414826693.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:14:17 AM by retailisking » Logged
JJBers
Ames In their blood!

No Ames nearby since 2002...

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »

Here's this old Dairy Queen I found in Gettysburg, PA

Atlanta to Willimantic by JJBers, on Flickr

Atlanta to Willimantic by JJBers, on Flickr
Adding this late, but this was in the parking lot of my hotel (Days Inn)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:11:25 AM by JJBers » Logged

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »

Free sundae with every truck rented? Wink
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »

Free sundae with every truck rented? Wink
I don't think so! Wink

JJBers
Ames In their blood!

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Anyways, here is my closest Dairy Queen in Willimantic, CT. It's your typical retrofitted location, at night!:
Sign:

Dairy Queen (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Front:

Dairy Queen (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Here it is from a distance:

Willimantic, Connecticut by JJBers, on Flickr

It's currently closed for the season

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »

The old Barn style DQ in Temple Terrace was replaced by the new style, which looks like any other fast food joint. I guess the Grill N Chill concept is the future.
ShopKoFan
Expert Member

Knows ShopKo too well.

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »

The old Barn style DQ in Temple Terrace was replaced by the new style, which looks like any other fast food joint. I guess the Grill N Chill concept is the future.

Their Brazier restaurants are being phased out in favor of the Grill n Chill concept.

shore72
Level 2 Kinda-Amesy!

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »

We have a couple locally that are the real old "walk-up" style (no inside dining). One that I drive by all the time had the old Dairy Queen/Brazier sign that was really in character with the store but it was replaced this fall with the DQ Grill-n-chill sign. Ah, progress.
Brammy
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »

Plainville, Connecticut still has one of those walk-up DQ's. It's open May-November. It's own by a family that lives here part of the year and down in Florida the rest of the year. I don't know if you can get everything there that you can get at a sit-down DQ.

Brammy
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2017, 12:25:06 PM »

DQ's in my vicinity:

- PA Route 50 in Carnegie, PA  (walk-up seasonal).
- Noblestown Rd. and Poplar Street in Green Tree, PA  (walk-up seasonal)
- Banksville Road in Mt. Lebanon, PA (in a shopping plaza, year-round, some hot sandwiches)
- PA Route 88 in Bethel Park, PA (in a shopping plaza, year-round, some hot sandwiches)
- PA Route 51 South in Whitehall, PA (year-round full menu drive-thru, longtime location that was recently torn down and replaced with a new format store)
- PA Route 885 Lebanon Rd., West Mifflin, PA (walk-up seasonal)
- Food Court at South Hills Village Mall (year-round, walk-up, ice cream only)
JJBers
Ames In their blood!

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »

DQ's in my vicinity:
- CT 66, Willimantic (seasonal)
- CT 12, Norwich (seasonal)
- CT 82, Norwich (year-round)
Nearly 20 miles until the next 3.
- Hartford Rd, Manchester (year-round)
- CT 85, Waterford (Crystal Mall)
- US 1, Groton (year-round)

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

ShopKoFan
Expert Member

Knows ShopKo too well.

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

The Green Bay area has four DQ locations:
Green Bay (Limited Brazier)
Howard (Grill & Chill)
Ashwaubenon (Grill & Chill)
DePere (Brazier)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: