Main Menu

Wawa

Started by storehistoryguy, July 16, 2005, 12:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

TRU7536

These places still exsist? Their use to be one right down the street from my house, use to walk their all the time, where the hell are these stores located?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
These places still exsist? Their use to be one right down the street from my house, use to walk their all the time, where the hell are these stores located?

yep there still around heh kida a funny name though WAWA
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

They are EVERYWHERE in PA (I was out in the Lancaster-area a few days ago and I couldn't go a few miles down the road without spotting one!)

I think they have expanded as far as Virginia now.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

They are EVERYWHERE in PA (I was out in the Lancaster-area a few days ago and I couldn't go a few miles down the road without spotting one!)

I think they have expanded as far as Virginia now.

They are getting VERY big. What will happen to 711, A-Plus and other convenient stores?

BillyGr

Use this :

http://www.wawa.com/storelocator/storeloc-home.asp

Select your state, then the city/town you're in OR your Zip code and it will list the locations.

TheRetroNickFan

Here's some stuff from my nearest Wawa, recently went Super in November 2007:

These are from my account on photobucket.

Marc82

A friend of mine I was visiting in King of Prussia, PA last summer took me to a WAWA because I didn't have much money for food. It was pretty cool. A lot nicer than a lot of the mini marts around here in Connecticut.

TheRetroNickFan

Wawa is a great store, their regular coffee is probably their best product (although their iced coffee is far inferior to that of Dunkin' Donuts). It and Dunkin' are my favorite coffee/donut places.

NJxxJon

Born and Raised in PA. Lived a lot in NJ. So yes. I heart my wawa and shortie hoagies while drink at 3 AM :duh:
JN

standa

Where I live in CT all the Wawa stores became Krauszer's a few years ago.  I didn't know that Wawa is still around.

TheRetroNickFan

Yep. There are probably more Wawas in NJ than there are Wal-Marts, actually!

However, I've noticed a lot of the smaller non-Super wawas are being sold. The one in Berlin NJ is now "Speedymart", one in Philadelphia on 8th St. is now called "Super Express Mart" or something like that, one in I think Haddonfield is now called "Pantry One Market" , etc. etc.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by TheRetroNickFan

However, I've noticed a lot of the smaller non-Super wawas are being sold. The one in Berlin NJ is now "Speedymart", one in Philadelphia on 8th St. is now called "Super Express Mart" or something like that, one in I think Haddonfield is now called "Pantry One Market" , etc. etc.

One near me is a small liquor store. Heh......Rent must be high lol.
JN

TheRetroNickFan

I'm guessing that too, lol!

According to the website they're going to start opening places in Virginia. The first two open on June 6, 2008. It also says the first Super Wawa (without gasoline) was made in 1994, and the first Super Wawa with gasoline was made in 1996. Which is crazy because I never saw any Super Wawas in NJ until 10 years later.

NJxxJon

look in wikipedia.....:boring:
JN

videogamer75

There is another wawa thread with 3 pics in it.

videogamer75

on wawa's site one of the pictures shows a super wawa with a taco bell and pizza hut express inside it! it is in tinicum, Pennsylvania, and it seems very different from most wawas. it has parking for 50 cars, it does not have gasoline, and it was opened in 1994. they have a picture on their site. go to "about wawa" and then click the link that says "milestones"

CTAmeshopper

I've seen a lot of these when my family and I were visiting relatives in New Jersey back when $1.20 a gallon was considered outrageous, around 2003-2004.

I couldn't figure out if they were a gas company, a convenience store, or a grocery store :insane: , I think they're a convenience store judging by the pictures.

videogamer75

they are a convenience store. and they are by far the best IMO.

videogamer75

a unique wawa in wildwood, NJ designed to fit with the town's 50's beach town resort-like theme. the ACME here is also like this.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by TheRetroNickFan

At least three of the ones I know are now Pantry One Market. One near me became "Welsh Farms" in 2001, and I found another one in Asbury Park in 2007. Another one is now "Choice Food Store". Many of the smaller Wawas have moved as well. The one in Swedesboro NJ was recently demolished.

EddieJ1984

The wawa closest to me, will be getting a new location down the block it is on.
Here is a pic of the current wawa, pic taken october 08, the pizza place next was Scotto Pizza (May have been closed at that point), then became a Philly Sports Grill or something, only lasted months, and last year it became a Gaetano's (Pizza, cheesesteak place)

the sign (These were takin at night since at the time I was on my way home)

Heres the Northeast Lincoln Mercury lot (Pic taken Dec 08 shortly after it closed) that will be knocked down soon so they can build a new wawa with gas pumps I hear (the white sign you see at the right behind a pole is the wawa sign)

nims57

Why no slanted roof for the gas station part? I thought all the new ones had it...

EddieJ1984

2 things to bump this thread
1) That old wawa a few posts up is now a laundromat (Tommy's Laundromat)

2) Its Wawa's 50th anniversary! They have many cool pictures and facts up at their website
http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/50th.aspx
Heres a few

ynkeesfn82

I went to a Wawa once. I was visiting some people in King of Prussia, PA in 2007 and my friend picked me up at my hotel and we stopped there so I could pick up a sandwich and soda on my way to his house.  - I also seem to remember they used to have locations in Connecticut, but not any more. Is there a reason they pulled out of Connecticut?

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on April 19, 2014, 10:06:08 AM
I went to a Wawa once. I was visiting some people in King of Prussia, PA in 2007 and my friend picked me up at my hotel and we stopped there so I could pick up a sandwich and soda on my way to his house.  - I also seem to remember they used to have locations in Connecticut, but not any more. Is there a reason they pulled out of Connecticut?

If you want to believe the WaWa WebWeb WikiWiki pagepage (uh oh) :):

Wawa's territory once stretched into North Jersey, New York and Connecticut, but in the late 1990s, the decision was made to abandon the New York metropolitan area and New England, as it was too competitive. The abandoned stores were re-branded when they were sold to Krauszer's (in Connecticut) and a variety of other convenience retailers, but most are still recognizable as they retain their distinctive "Wawa" design

Have you seen any that look like WaWa style buildings?
They have started to move further north in NJ, but no plans that are listed to go further (at least at this point) - they have been busy building in Florida, probably to take advantage of the many folks from their area that have moved (or visit) there.

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on April 19, 2014, 08:36:52 AM
2 things to bump this thread
1) That old wawa a few posts up is now a laundromat (Tommy's Laundromat)

2) Its Wawa's 50th anniversary! They have many cool pictures and facts up at their website
http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/50th.aspx
Heres a few

Most of the Wawa's near me are the modern ones with the gas pumps.  The exception is the Wawa in Bensalem, PA, near Neshaminy Mall.  That Wawa opened in the early 1970's, and looks like the 3rd pic.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Wawa can be seen in a few episodes of ABC's The Goldbergs. Wawa is one of Barry Goldberg's hangouts on the show.