Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Caldor1999

dose anyone have a picture of a Kings open or closed

hears a better picture of me standing outsied of this former Amees/kings u can also see this store in teh store locator

under Carmel NY
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayco7030
LOCATIONS  (According to zayre 88's site)

Cumberland MD
Virginia Beach VA
Youngstown OH
Wilmington NC
Owensboro KY
Sanford NC
Ashboro NC
Fairless Hills PA
Statesville NC

Falmouth ME
Bangor ME
Fairhaven MA
New Bedford MA
Tewksbury MA
Brattleboro VT
Plaistow NH
Hyannis MA
Methuen MA
Amesbury MA  
 Concord NH
Somersworth NH
Derby VT
Wallingford CT
New Haven CT
Hamden CT
Brockton MA
Augusta ME
Ellsworth ME
Rockland ME

King's closed in late 1982. I was not born when they closed since I was born in March 1983, and their stores where old and like 50,000s or 60,000s square feet.

they had 181 stores. These are the King's that I only know of in CT: Dayville and was like 65,000 square feet in the tri city Plaza and became Ames; Norwich which opened in 71 and was 68,000 square feet and became Ames; in New haven and became Ames in 83 that closed in 92; in MAnchester CT on Spencer st; in seymour that was 62,000 square feet and became Ames, where was the ones in Wallingford and hamden???

These are the King's that I only know of in Maine: Bangor in WEstgate Plaza; Ellsworth which opened in 71 and was 65,000 square feet and became Ames; falmouth that was 68,000 square feet and became Rich's and then Ames and then a newer Shaw's.

These were the King's that I only knew of in MAss: Braintree, Bridgewater, Brockton, Brockton, Canton, Chelmsford Mall that opened in 78 and became Bradlees which probably expanded the building; FAirhaven, Fitchburg which opened in 1962, Franklin Mass which was 52,000 square feet and opened in 63 and became Ames and then Bob's; Greenfield that was 60,000 square feet and BECAME AMES and then a larger Home depot;  Hyannis in the Airport Plaza; LEnox in that was 60,000 square feet and became Ames and now is half marshalls; Lowell; Ludlow (now BIG Y); Salaisbury in Crossroads plaza that became MArs and then Stuart's and now Cinemagic; TEwksbury that was 50,000 square feet in the Stadium plaz and opened 67, and became SErvice Merchandise and then now Staples/Dress Barn;

these Kings were in NH: Claremont that was origanlly Giant Department store and became Ames in 1983; Concord NH (Loudon road, 50,000 square feet, opened 67, vacant from late 1982 to early 1999 and torn down in early 1999 and it was just rebuilt into Bed bath beyond adn tj maxx); Giford in Airport Plaza, originally the Mart and became Globe in 1983 and then a cinema and flea market; Keene that was originally Giant Department STore and became Food store and then demolished into K-mart; LEbanon in Mircle Mile Plaza, originally Giant, 48,000 square feet, became a supermarket in 1993, now PC foods; Plaistow in STateline Plaza, opened 67, BECAME AMEs in 1983, now divided into TJ maxx and other stores; Portsmouth in Lafaeytte Plaza and opened 64, and divided to EThan Ellen, Peir 1; SEabrook and nearly 52,000 square feet, opeend 73, and BECAME AMES in 1983, and in Seabrook Plaza; Somersworth (originally the Mart, in the late 40,000s squre feet, BECAME AMES IN 1983 that closed in 1990, now divided to TJ maxx, payless and others;

THESE ARE THE ONES IN KNOW OF IN VT: Derby that was 62,000 square feet, became AMEs, now Shaw's; Rutland in Green mountain plaza , opened 63, 55,000 square feet, and BECAME AMES); Brattleboro (60,000 square feet, now AMES, then NOW HOME DEPOT

any other known King;s?

Caldor1999

did they have any locatios in New York because i was told the Ames in Carmel New York was a kings it also had a Auto Center it used in it to
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Rayco7030

chicopee,ma was a kings the mars now in the plaza with big y closed long time ago as well justa polep's place and a brooks pharmacy on the left side toally abandoned on the right side
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
did they have any locatios in New York because i was told the Ames in Carmel New York was a kings it also had a Auto Center it used in it to

The former Ames in Hudson (which has been posted in several places) was definitely one (after being Barkers and before Ames).  There was also one on Central Avenue in Albany (just below the corner of Everett and the former HoJo/Ground Round- it's now the OTB Teletheater - never became Ames).  Probably others, but I only know for sure of those 2.

And looking at your note - the Hudson location had an Auto area too (on the left end) - whether it was used as that during King's time I don't know (for the last few years as Ames it was operated as a separate business with it's own entry - they also had this setup in Saratoga where they had taken over a former Kmart).

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

The former Ames in Hudson (which has been posted in several places) was definitely one (after being Barkers and before Ames).  There was also one on Central Avenue in Albany (just below the corner of Everett and the former HoJo/Ground Round- it's now the OTB Teletheater - never became Ames).  Probably others, but I only know for sure of those 2.

And looking at your note - the Hudson location had an Auto area too (on the left end) - whether it was used as that during King's time I don't know (for the last few years as Ames it was operated as a separate business with it's own entry - they also had this setup in Saratoga where they had taken over a former Kmart).

the one in carmel new york used the auto center when ames was there but i wanna know if it was a kings now the evile hannaford took over the store so ames is no longer there any more:(
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Yes, the Carmel, New York store was a Kings. Look at my pic of the Hudson, NY store(and its a good thing I took that pic. It's been heavily remodeled). Same design. You can definetaly see the similarities.

Zayre88

my town ludlow and the big y plaza

formely   Princess parlour,Fotomat,Lois and Clark Drug,,KING"S
Newstand,TNT auto,Gloria Gaynor Fitness,Cvs Pharmacy

Here is that plaza in the 60's !

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
my town ludlow and the big y plaza

formely   Princess parlour,Fotomat,Lois and Clark Drug,,KING"S
Newstand,TNT auto,Gloria Gaynor Fitness,Cvs Pharmacy

Here is that plaza in the 60's !

Man thats cool!! Impressive pic! Where did you get it?

Crawford

The Kings in East Providence RI was originally a Mammoth Mart and is now a Burlington Coat Factory. On the side of the building that faces the movie theater on a sunny day one can see the old Kings logo under the paint. My mother has a friend who worked through three versions of the store. I think Kings closed around 1983 because I had just got my Atari and was buying games there since they were cheaper.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
I think Kings closed around 1983 because I had just got my Atari and was buying games there since they were cheaper.

1982 or 1983, around then. My Kings shut down in 1979.

Caldor1999

i thought kings closed in 1984
Caldor Forever!

amesman

There was also a Kings near Chittenango, NY. I have a pic of it somewhere. I'll post it when I find it. Also, BillyGr, do you have any other King's locations around Albany that you know of? I'll have to get pics of the Central Ave location. Hopefully it still looks original.

On a side note, I have pics of the old Woolworth's in Menands. I'll post those soon too.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
There was also a Kings near Chittenango, NY. I have a pic of it somewhere. I'll post it when I find it. Also, BillyGr, do you have any other King's locations around Albany that you know of? I'll have to get pics of the Central Ave location. Hopefully it still looks original.

On a side note, I have pics of the old Woolworth's in Menands. I'll post those soon too.

I don't know of any others for sure - it's possible that another Ames (or two) in the area came from Kings, but I don't know for certain.

JimSawhill

King's? The first time I went to a Kig's was in the old the Cheney Mills building ( Manchester Connecticut). It was funny because the Cheney buildings are Condos, and the new King's building -- after it became Bradley when King's closed (Ames was close so they closed it).
     when I left connecticut the Broad Street plaza was EMPTY. I heard it'll be torn down for a school.

dayville81

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
That last ad lists "broad street, manchester" thats the dead plaza from the bradlees thread, the store was a King's before it became the bradlees.

Plaza used to have Bradlees, Stop and Shop with Hoyts Cinema in the back. Photos on Internet captured inside Hoyts. All seats and screen ripped out. Walls scarred by vandals, front windows broken. Bradlees and Stop and Shop spray paint all over them. Windows bordered up since vandals tried to get into them numerous times. Bradlees and Stop and Shop label scars still visible. Be careful driving in parking lot since there is a lot of broken glass.

StarSage

We had a King's in Bath, NY.. I was way too young to remember much of it though. Although the King's company was bought by Ames, our local store was acquired by Jamesway and only survived for a few years before that chain closed too. The store was vacant for the longest time and then became home to a new True Value hardware store.

BillyGr

This is the store in Albany on Central Avenue.  It wasn't converted to Ames as many were, but was bought by OTB to create a Tele-Theater (shows the races, has a bar/restaurant etc.).

There were windows facing Central Ave. when it was a store - they have re-done it quite a bit (the metal siding included).

storehistoryguy

Zayre saw Ames digest its acquisition of 42 King's stores and open eight new units in 1983. In 1984, Ames will open 12 and remodel 24 stores. Much of this activity is in existing Zayre markets.

d_fife

what  became the old king's in laconia / gilford nh (it was mammoth mart)

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
what  became the old king's in laconia / gilford nh (it was mammoth mart)

old king's gilford nh

mikeb

There was a King's located in Quincy, MA in the Presidential Plaza on Quincy Avenue.  Also located in the plaza was an Anderson-Little clothing store and a Radio Shack (which is still there), among others.  When King's shut down in the early 1980's it became a Bradlees.  The store is now part of an asian marketplace called "Kam Man".  I believe there was also a King's on route 18 in Weymouth, MA that became a Caldor and is now a "Building 19".

mikeb

....actually, after Caldor and before Building 19, this location was briefly an AMES!

greg8370

there was a King's in Meriden, Ct located at the Centential Plaza on the West Side of town.  Building is still there boarded up.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
there was a King's in Meriden, Ct located at the Centential Plaza on the West Side of town.  Building is still there boarded up.

That was a Kings?! I saw it but wondered for the longest time what it was! I guessed in the slightest Bradlees then. It appears it was most recently home to Railroad Salvage.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr