Grossman's Bargain Outlet

Started by d_fife, July 15, 2005, 03:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

There used to be small lumberyards, Gerrity (I believe only in NH as there was one in my town Plymouth (near the police station), and Littleton NH and others), that closed in like 93 or something like that. Grossman's went downhill so bad, and had bad lumber and horrible employees and closed in 1996, and rounds of closings before, and even in the closing sale the prices were too high. AGway has gone down for many years. STenebeke in my town closed, that was a lumberyard. Home Quarters closed in 1999 since it filed for bankruptcy and was a bad lumberyard place, my nearest one was in manchester nh and opened early 1990s, and the one in newington nh opened 1994, as did in Portland and bangor maine and natick mass, the one in NAtick mass only lasted a year and a half. heichner operated HQ and closed alot. Kmart owned Builders square and that went in the early 1990s.

HOme depot started in the very early 1990s, here. Like HOme depot opened in Somerville mass 15 years ago, and that may have been the first one in mass, and the chain started in 1978 and have stoers like 110,000 to 130,000 square feet, the one in NAshua NH opened in OCtober 1991, the first one RI And CT opened, I don't know. The first one in Maine was in portland near riverside and opened early 1997, and the first one in Vt was in WIlliston and opened around 97. Lowe's started like in the 40s, and has grown so fast, and opened it's first one in CT in 1998 in New haven, first one in Mass in spring 2000 in springfield, first one in RI in 2001 in woonsocket, first one in MAine in 2005 in Brunswick, first one in NH in summer 2005 in seabrook, first one in Vermont maybe next year in burlington.

HOme depot was growing big time in the early 2000s, and lowe's growing most big time now. These huge lumberyard places started opening in the mid 1990s. like home depot opening more stores throughout the 1990s and now, big slowing a liittle and Lowe's starting to beat HOme depot, and When Home Depot wants to build at a place, Lowe's follows home Depot, and when Lowe's builds at a place, HOme Depot follows. this trend is reoccuring and happening in WIndham maine (They open near each other within months), claremont nh (They open near each other within a year), Littleton NH (Home depot opened early this year, but Lowe's wants to build), Conway NH (lowe's wants to build where the mall is closing, HOme depot wants to build down the road now), SEabrook NH (Home depot built 3 years ago, lowe's opens next week), Tilton NH (home depot opened almost 4 years ago, Lowe's will open within 6-8 months I beleive), AMherst NH (HOme depot opened down the road nearly 4 years ago in MErrimack, Lowe's wants to open early next year), HAdley NH (Both want to build near each other), Portland maine (HOme depot built in riverside near the Pine tree plaza in 1997, Lowe's will open early next year), Auburn maine (Home depot opened like 5 years ago, Lowe's opened early this year),

These home improvement places want to build all over!!!!!!! There are some areas without one of the two
(IN AREAS WHERE NIETHER HAS BEEN PROPOSED or been shot down or in areas either or both will try to build in

NH
1. Berlin/Gorham (niether has been proposed, but that area is a candidate) berlin is a major toiwn with 11,000 people and an hour away from the nearest HOme depot, Littleton, and the Wal-mart in the Mt. Valley plaza is relocating to the old Globe plaza as a supercenter, and will be avaialbe, but that wal-mart is 60,000 square feet (it expanded the old Rich's), and the plaza has a 2,100 square feet space available, and still has Save-a-lot (To the right is a possible expansion area), fashion bug, dollar tree and radio shack and I bet IF A HOME DEPOT OR LOWE's WANTS TO BUILD (THIS HAS NEVER BEEN PROPOSEd, THIS IS A THEORY, will realign the plaza to build one
2. Rindge (A major area, since it has 2 supermarkets and wal-mart)
3. Plymouth (LOwe's is going to build in cornfields across Burger King, a rumor of HOme depot coming too)

MAss (A lot of areas around there have both)
1. Acton (HOme depot tried to build, but got shot down, will probably try again)
2. North ADams (Lowe's wants to build)
3. FAlmouth (Home depot is in WAreham, cape cod is worse than VT with resistance to big box retail)
 HAverhill: Lowe's wants to build in haverhill
4. Northampton/HAdley (Both want to build)
  WEstfield Home depot wants to build where Caldor was
5. FAirhaven (HOme depot wants to build in these mills in new bedford, BUT HAS ONE IN NORTH DARTMOUTH, the town next door)
6. Somewhere in Chelmsford as the nearest HOme depot is in TEWksbury off exit 38

RI (EVERY AREA HAS EITHER ONE)
VErmont (VERMOTN IS RESISTANT ON BIG BOX RETAILERS)
1. Montpielier (there is a vacant Ames)
2. St. albans (Lowe's tried to build, a big box cap will come ater wal-mart is finally offically approved)
3. St. Johnsbury (But there is HOme depot in Littleton and Lowe's wanst to build in Littleton)
4. Newport

Maine
1. calais (it has WAl-mart)
2. Newport (HOME DEPOT HAS BEEN PROPOSED)
3. BREwer (more activity with super wal-mart, applebee,s wendy's, ruby tuesday, WONT BE SURPRISED IF LOWE's wants to build)
4. Skowhegan (maybe not since it is between Waterville and Augusta that both have HOme Depot)
  Lowe's is being proposed in PResque isle near the wal-mart
5. HOULTON (it is near the border and where rt. 95 ends, I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE, they have a wal-mart and I heard taht wal-mart is very small)
WAL_mart in OXford and Farmington are proposed
6. Sanford (ROchester is far enough away, that has home depot as well as somersworth), Lowe's has tried to build, the proposal of the complex with that and a relocating wal-mart was shot down, I bet lowe's will try again.
  NEXT YEAR NORTH WINDHAM IS GETTING BOTH Lowe's and HOme depot.

Connecticut
1. Torrington
2. Putnam

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
I just hate it when these two big H.I. stores want to build every where so everwhere will be a Home Depot and Lowe's.

It just everyplace is going to look the same and the smaller chains would suffer.

I just hate that!

ITS BOR-RING!!!!!!

there are not many small lumberyard places left. HOme DEPOIT IS EVERYWHERE. I Went to Rhode ISland last sunday, and I saw three hOme depots, One in North Kingstown and one in Johnston up a hill and one in Smithfield in this huge plaza. THE ONES IN JOHNSTON AND SMITHFIELD were 3 miles apart. a couple years ago I saw a Lowe's in WOonsocket. On sunday I saw Lowe's in Raynham and Milford (the nearst Home Depot is 3 miles away in BEllingham near the TOys r us/AC moore/decathalon sports plaza) massachusetts. In NAshua they have 2 home depots (one near the NAshua MAll in the old NAShua MAll plaza that opened in summer 2002 and one in NAshua on DW Highway near the mall, that opeened in August 1991 and 102,000 square feet) and one in MErrimack near the border of NAshua, and 2 in DAnvers (one on the other side of town near liberty tree and one on rt. 1), trying to build one in Chelsea where Bradlees was! and that is a few miles away from the one in Everett, that one opened in early 2002 and it is 1 mile away from the one in Somerville. I saw 2 in Quincy mass and they are less than 2 miles apart. in the town next door in weymouth they have a Lowe's and that is miles awy from HOme Depot. In dedham mass Lowe's rebuilt the dedham mall and opened a few months ago and a mile up the road in WEst roxbury is Home depot.

Lowe's wants to build a 2nd store in WArwick and also has one in Cranston ( I WILL VISIT CRANSTON AND WARWICK AND PROVIDENCE AND NORTH ATTLEBORO SOOn, NOT JUST TO SEE THE HOME Depots and lowes's though, but will see them), and just built a Home depot in Coventry (near WArwick) RI and have HOme depots in Warwick RI, PRovidence RI, Smithfield RI, Johnston RI and North Kingstown RI (IT looks different than most home depots and is at wickford junction).

home depot built in North Hampton and SEabrook 3 years ago and are not far from each other, and last year opened in Somersworth even though Rochester, WHICH HAS A HOME DEPOT THAT OPENED 4 years ago, is nearby. Portsmouth NH has hopme Depot. BOTH Portland and SOUTH PORTLAND HAVE HOME DEPOT, and so does biddeford. Home depot opened in LEbanon last month and in claremont a few months ago (that will get a lowe's next year), and opened in Plaistow last fall (it opened by demolishing part of the pentucket plaza, and MEthuen has a home depot that opened in 2000 and one in SAlem NH that is 5 miles from the one in salem NH and the salem store opened 1992).

around springfield mass, Chicopee (opened 2002, where part of the old mall ways), WIlhraham (near the springfield border, opened 1998), west springfield (Opened 1991), Enfield CT (near the border of MAss and Springfield has one that opened in 1995), and they want to build one in WEstfield.

ARound worchester, Auburn has one (opened 99), shrewsbury does (opened 93), Worcester does (opeend 02), and leomisnter 20 miles north has one that opened in 1997, and MArlboro (15 miles east) has one that opened 02, a Lowe's is in Worcester and a Lowe's just opened in WEstboro and wants to build in LEominster.

IN FRAMINGHAM MASS Lowe's wants to build and will open earlier next year and that has HOme depot that opened in 94.   BOTH LOWE's And HOME DEPOT WANT TO BUILD IN HAdlley. A HOME DEPOT IS IN PITTSFIELD AND THAT OPEEND 3 yeasr ago and is the only one in the berkshire. North adams has none.

In Hyannis mass, Home depot only got in by replacing the old 80,000 square foot bradlees and teh store was 2 years in the making.

In bennington Vt, a Home Depot opened where the old Ames/ PRice chopper was, a 84,000 or 90,000 square foot store.

In brattleboro Vt, a Home depot opened where Ames was and is 60,000 square feet. A home depot opened 17 miles east in KEene NH in August 2003, and opened one 17 miles SOUTH in Greenfield where Ames plaza was, a 84,000 square foot store.

around MAnchester NH, Manchester itsself has home depot that opened in early 1994 (on s willow st near Stop and shop), the one in Hooksett opened early 2004, the one in Londonderry opened 02, a Lowe's will be built in Bedford NH latyer this year near target .75 miles down the road from macy's, a lowe's will be built down the road from Home depot nearn wal-mart and will probably open in 2 years.

IN CT They have A lowe's and HOme depot across from each other in MAnchester CT (I WAS TOLD THIS), have both home depot and Lowe's in NEwington CT (I have been told this, and HD is actually in Berlin), a lowe's in Plainville, not too far from plainville a HOme dEpot in FArmington and Bristol, home depot in Southington, a home depot in Glastonbury. both lowe's and home depot in Bloomfield CT.

a home depot in Topsham maine, and a lowe's in Brunswick maine, they opened a year apart.

AROUND BOSTON a home depot in WAltham (5-7 miles away) A home depot in WAtertown in arsenal mall, a Home depot in SOuth bay center, home depot in WEst roxbury, 2 HD's in Quincy near each other, a HD in ROckland, a HD in Everett and Somerville a 1 mile from each other, a HD in Saugus, a HD in SAlem, 2 HD's in DAnvers (Each on a different part of town), a newly opened HD in REading off rt. 95, a home depot expo center in Burlington, a lowe's in Woburn, a lowe's in dedham, a lowe's in weymouth, a lowe's that wants to build in saugus, a lowe's in DAnvers.

ARound southeastern, a HOme depot in Norwood, 3 towns away, a home depot in Mansfield, a home depot in Attleboro, a Lowe's in North attleboro and they want to build in Plainville (A town north of north attleoboro and across the new target), in taunton is a home depot and lowe's (The town north) in raynham. In Avon (town north of Brockton) has HOme Depot and In Brockton there is Home depot as welll (That was a bradlees), and brockton has a Lowe's.

SE mass, a lowe's is in Kingston and PEmbroke Mass, they opened not long ago, a home depot is in Plymouth mass and in rockland mass.

I have never seen a lowe's or home depot in connecticut, but heard this and will viist Enfield soon, and a while from now around hartford and new london Ct area

BillyGr

The Home Depot in Bennington VT is a bit different - they took over an empty older Price Chopper AND the adjoining empty Ames and a bit of space (I think it was a Rite Aid originally but had been a matress store) to build the Home Depot - they remodeled a bit in the front but didn't tear down and replace (probably the only way to get in the area - consider their WalMart which has 6 checkouts and is probably 1/3 +/- the size of a regular WalMart - it's a former 5and10).

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
The Home Depot in Bennington VT is a bit different - they took over an empty older Price Chopper AND the adjoining empty Ames and a bit of space (I think it was a Rite Aid originally but had been a matress store) to build the Home Depot - they remodeled a bit in the front but didn't tear down and replace (probably the only way to get in the area - consider their WalMart which has 6 checkouts and is probably 1/3 +/- the size of a regular WalMart - it's a former 5and10).

It was a matress store, I went to Bennington 3 years ago and went to the Ames closing sale and it was a matress store.

What do you all think of this home improvement expansion?  and what I posted on the first message.

d_fife

here is a grossman's.

from http://www.turnerbrothers.com/projectinfo.cfm?picID=44

the chain closed 10 yeras ago and was bankrupt and in the end the lumber was bad and had bad help.

d_fife

it seems that the rule everywhere now is to have both lowe's and home depot. windham maine, claremont and littleton new hampshire will get both. they plan to put both in my town plymouth new hampshire.

Tihs picture in windham maine shows how close the lowe's and home depots are to each other they are across from each other and are opening one month apart.

d_fife

d_fife

we used to have a chain called steenbeeks in new hampshre in concord, plymouth and boscowen, but they closed.

Crawford

I believe Somerville Lumber shut down in the 90's. The one in Seekonk was torn down and made into a Showcase cinema with stadium seating. I believe the one in Cranston RI is still vacant.

Does anyone remember Channel Home Improvement? The one in East Providence was a former Woolco and is now divided between a Marshall's a cut rate Pharmacy and a Napa auto parts store. I also remember seeing one in New Hampshire that I believe was in a Kings shopping center.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
I believe Somerville Lumber shut down in the 90's. The one in Seekonk was torn down and made into a Showcase cinema with stadium seating. I believe the one in Cranston RI is still vacant.

Does anyone remember Channel Home Improvement? The one in East Providence was a former Woolco and is now divided between a Marshall's a cut rate Pharmacy and a Napa auto parts store. I also remember seeing one in New Hampshire that I believe was in a Kings shopping center.
I heard there was a channel hardware where Shaw's is now in salem new hampshire.

BillyGr

Here is a Grossman's Bargain Outlet (in a former Regular Grossman's) on Route 2 between Latham & Watervliet.

This store sat empty for quite a while after Grossman's went out before becoming Bargain Outlet.

d_fife

home depot is scaling back on their expansion plans while lowe's grows more. I haard they are both compared to burger kign and mcdonald's and cokie and pepsi.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
There used to be small lumberyards, Gerrity (I believe only in NH as there was one in my town

Just happened to see this - there was a Gerrity lumber in the Albany area (on Railraod Avenue off Fuller Road) - I don't know that it was connected to the ones you had, but tend to think it could have been (long story - have to get the book out to explain).

Anyway - I didn't see a separate place for hardware type stores, so I thought I'd throw this in here:

The 1st shot is Smith ACE Hardware on the Main Street (Route 32) in Saugerties.
The 2nd is Robinson ACE Hardware on Route 20 (Western Avenue) in Guilderland.
Last is the Aubuchon Hardware on Route 2 in North Adams/Williamstown - this is next to the A&P looking Brooks.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
tihs defunct home improvement chain somerville lumber.

from http://www.turnerbrothers.com/projectinfo.cfm?picID=36

A formerSomerville Lumber, now Building19 in Hanover MA