Main Menu

Kohl's

Started by palooza68, January 07, 2005, 08:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on June 18, 2012, 07:43:44 PM
Quote from: Marc B on June 18, 2012, 07:03:22 AM
3 new Kohl's will be opening in Connecticut this fall in Berlin, Killingly, and New Milford.

Any idea how large any of these stores will be? Kohl's has been building smaller stores lately.

It appears Berlin will be small. They are only using a portion of the old Sam's Club space.

ynkeesfn82

Kohl's Grand Opening Sale including the on the Berlin Turnpike starts Wednesday 9/26.

Zayre88

Don't know if Kohl's could some day follow Target into expansion to Canada?

I'm sure they'll be watching how it goes for Target.  They could eventually follow the same path and buy leases from a struggling Canadian retailer to begin their expansion: maybe Sears Canada...

JimSawhill

3 new Kohl's will be opening in Connecticut this fall in Berlin, Killingly, and New Milford.

What did Kohl's replace in Killingly??

retailisking

Kohl's in Biddeford, ME will close from February 2014 to the fall of that year for extensive renovations
http://courier.mainelymediallc.com/news/2013-08-15/News/In_the_News.html

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: retailisking on June 18, 2012, 07:43:44 PM

Any idea how large any of these stores will be? Kohl's has been building smaller stores lately.
The exact same thing happened around here where I live when a Kohl's moved into a former Ames Department Store that shut down back in 1990 from Ames First Bankruptcy. Kohl's moved into this former Ames Department Store location back in 2011, however this former Ames Department Store was about the typical size of a Kmart Store that you would see back in the 1980's that does not fall underneath The Big Kmart Store concept. What I mean by that is that this former Ames Department Store is smaller than what a stand alone Big Kmart Store would be. Having said that, you can see that this Kohl's Store is not that big. At the same time this Ames Department Store location sat empty for twenty-one straight years from Ames closure back in 1990 until Kohl's purchased the building to open their new location in this former Ames Department Store in 2011. I still have yet to go shop at this Kohl's in this former Ames Department Store space. Even though I have never shopped at it yet, I know for certain that I am going to like it better than my own local Kohl's Store, because my local Kohl's Store is a big one and I have never really cared for it. Plus at the same time, I like smaller stores when it comes to grocery stores. Having said that, since this Kohl's that opened up in this former Ames Department Store location back in 2011 is a smaller Kohl's Store that gives me a pretty good feeling that I am going to like it, especially at the same time since it is in one of my favorite former department stores from the 1980's/90's that I grew up with which as you can guess of course is Ames.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on August 16, 2013, 05:43:17 PM
Kohl's in Biddeford, ME will close from February 2014 to the fall of that year for extensive renovations

It has to be extensive renovations if they close for that long!

Here they gutted the inside of the Zellers store down to the concrete slab and steel joists, knocked down half of the front wall and redone all plumbing, heating, roof and exterior...   They began in April and store will open mid-September (roughly 7 months).

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Kohl's stores are a common site here in Wisconsin, where they are found anchoring most of the shopping malls here. Shopping malls with both a Shopko and Kohl's anchor store are found in most cities in Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, and Minnesota. Kohl's was also a supermarket chain in Wisconsin as well, and both Kohl's Department Stores and Kohl's Supermarkets were found co-located in strip malls across Wisconsin from the 1970s to the 1990s.
Former Wisconsin senator, philanthropist and Milwaukee Bucks NBA basketball team owner Herb Kohl, his father Max Kohl and his family owned the department store and supermarket bearing their name.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 18, 2013, 05:31:45 AM
Kohl's stores are a common site here in Wisconsin, where they are found anchoring most of the shopping malls here. Shopping malls with both a Shopko and Kohl's anchor store are found in most cities in Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, and Minnesota. Kohl's was also a supermarket chain in Wisconsin as well, and both Kohl's Department Stores and Kohl's Supermarkets were found co-located in strip malls across Wisconsin from the 1970s to the 1990s.
Former Wisconsin senator, philanthropist and Milwaukee Bucks NBA basketball team owner Herb Kohl, his father Max Kohl and his family owned the department store and supermarket bearing their name.
Whatever happened to the Kohl's Supermarket Stores? Were both the Kohl's Supermarkets and Department Stores owned by the same chain?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 18, 2013, 09:09:37 PM
Whatever happened to the Kohl's Supermarket Stores? Were both the Kohl's Supermarkets and Department Stores owned by the same chain?

Kohl's Supermarkets were eventually sold to A&P. They shut them all down. Don't remember when. And yes years and years ago Kohl's Supermarket and Dept store were the same company.

Quote from: Marc B on August 18, 2013, 09:43:41 PM
Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on August 18, 2013, 09:09:37 PM
Kohl's Supermarkets were eventually sold to A&P. They shut them all down. Don't remember when. And yes years and years ago Kohl's Supermarket and Dept store were the same company.
A&P did not shut the stores down right away. They operated the stores up until the early 2000s as Kohl's Food Empriums, and then they sold the stores to other Wisconsin grocery store chains, such as Copps Food Center/Pick 'n Save (Roundy's), and Sendik's Food Markets, while some became other retailers like Big Lots, or Office Max, while most were just simply closed, and were later demolished. Most Kohl's Supermarkets share architectural design elements with other supermarkets of the 1940s/50s/60s, such as the Penn Fruit supermarkets, where Max Kohl got his inspiration for the arched roof on the Kohl's supermarkets.

retailisking

Quote from: retailisking on August 16, 2013, 05:43:17 PM

Turns out the store will have to be demolished and rebuilt due to inadequate fill prior to the original store's construction. Not surprisingly, the new store will be considerably smaller than the previous one.
http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/10/business/cracked-walls-and-floors-settling-among-problems-forcing-demolition-replacement-of-biddeford-kohls

standa

Kohl's will close a store in Melville, NY (on Long Island)  I think it's their first store in a fomer Caldor to close.  Do you think there will there be more closings?

http://halfhollowhills.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/kohls-to-close-in-april_f20f0282

retailisking

A lot of chains are coming to the realization that they're seriously overstored. New Kohl's are considerably smaller than the legacy stores. One way of reducing square footage in a given market is to close redundant locations. So I have no doubt that Kohl's will continue to shrink its footprint.

bubcolbert1952

Staples has been doing the same thing, very slowly...

retailisking

Another example is Best Buy, which like Staples is also taking its sweet time.

standa

TheFugitive

TheFugitive

Most of them in California.  Not a shock.
The business climate out there is really bad.

retailisking

The store that had to be closed, demolished and rebuilt a couple of years ago because inadequate fill was causing the foundation to sink is now closed again indefinitely because its roof is sagging under the weight of accumulated snow.
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/biddeford-saco/biddeford-khols-closed-indefinitely-due-to-serious-sag-in-roof/409075961

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on February 16, 2017, 10:45:32 PM
The store that had to be closed, demolished and rebuilt a couple of years ago because inadequate fill was causing the foundation to sink is now closed again indefinitely because its roof is sagging under the weight of accumulated snow.
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/biddeford-saco/biddeford-khols-closed-indefinitely-due-to-serious-sag-in-roof/409075961

According to the link as of today (2/17) it has reopened - but you'd think that anyone doing building in an area like Maine would take the potential for a large amount of snow into account and either build accordingly or have something (or someone) to remove it if more than x amount has fallen.

retailisking

Quote from: retailisking on March 01, 2018, 12:32:53 PM
5-10 Kohl's locations will include Aldi grocery stores in a pilot
https://www.fooddive.com/news/grocery--aldi-will-place-outposts-inside-kohls-stores/518189
As we all know in my state of Wisconsin, Kohl's used to be synonymous with groceries in its early days in the 1940s (Kohl's Foods closed their last store in the Milwaukee area in 2003). Now Kohl's is relying on an outside vendor to offer food inside their stores, in this case, German grocer ALDI.