reasons why stores go out of business

Started by Rayco7030, July 10, 2005, 07:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayco7030

1.Aquires Other Stores That Have gone thru bankruptcy

2.Open too many stores too fast

3.Not enough money coming in that going out

4.Competition (many stores including Wal-mart)

5.If the store doesnt change its format after certain years people wont want to go no more as it looks too old

6.Or if its dirty and not taken care of

7.Goes banmkrupt and cant get out closing all the stores

8.#7 and big shot goes and makes stores of other names

I know Wal-mart has gone big but these are the rasons why they go out.
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayco7030
1.Aquires Other Stores That Have gone thru bankruptcy

2.Open too many stores too fast

3.Not enough money coming in that going out

4.Competition (many stores including Wal-mart)

5.If the store doesnt change its format after certain years people wont want to go no more as it looks too old

6.Or if its dirty and not taken care of

7.Goes banmkrupt and cant get out closing all the stores

8.#7 and big shot goes and makes stores of other names

I know Wal-mart has gone big but these are the rasons why they go out.

ALL Above make sense. Like IF you get to closing 30 percent of the store base (most chains in bankruptcy do), you start to become non-existant. If you get to half or more, you might as well just go out, Stuarts and woolworth closed more stores than how many existed until the end. LIKE I GET PERPLEXED AND ANNOYED WHEN A chain closes a store in major shopping area (like NAshua nh, Warwick RI, Portland MAine, DAnvers MAss, framingham mass, North attleboro mass, MAnchester Ct, SAlem NH, BAngor ME, Burlington Vt), and feel if they cannot make it there, they won't make it, I mean they were in a good market and on the main road.

The aquires stores that have gone through bankrupcy, AMES MADE THAT MISTAKE, and they opened stores too fast by aquiring these chains.

Stuart's was in for dirty and not taken care of. Their store format did not apparently change, from what I saw, as their stores still looked old, dirty and small.

ANOTHER COULD BE NO IDENTITY!!!! Caldor had that and they were just a copycat Ames, Bradlees and Kmart, and HAD NOTHING THAT STOOD OUT.

Well Kmart and Toys r us changed their formats, like Kmarts old format was the red k and the tourquoest mart, and the white slope above the building, and inside orange walls. Toys r us' brown where it says toys r us, rainbow colors near the entrence, black glass exit, white going across the rest of the building.

Another is not moving with the market, like stores in bad locations, like Stuart's.

Caldor1999

KIDDING ME Caldor was sooooo diffrent from Bradlees Ames ansd Jamesway they dident make there stores look cheep

and Caldor started before Bradlees Ames and Jamesway did so they tryed to copy from Caldor..... Kmart is its own self Caldor really stood out outta the regel discount chain so i have no idea what your thinking u nevre really had a Caldor w ere u are only one that was located in a JM Fileds all teh caldors we had hear were bult from ground up u never expriced it i have been to 10 diffrent caldors all looked up to date unlike  Bradlees witch had shotty merchandise low qulity and they closed so many of there stores they went from 135 to 102 by 1999 and whne thy closed in 2001 there was only 105 kida small huh and verey stupit to do also all the bradlees near me and horrble and crazty people working there many of there stores were unkeepd and dirty unlike Caldor Ames was a diffrent they dident care about looks but they cared about prices thats what made ames so great

Bradlees staens out as the least dizrible of the 4 magor discount chains

Caldor had the look and good merchandise

Ames and the prices

Jamesway have the gret toy DEPT

Bradlees failed at that but not to say they werwe bad

just look at this compair that with Bradlees you'll see a diffrence Caldor had the Look and Bradlees dident also Caldor had the merchandise that Bradlees dident
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

Why not start a Caldor VS. Bradlees topic

I agree that if a chain closes 30 percent of the store base it starts to become non-existant. I think they all did that.  Closing stores, then more stores, and finally they realize that they have to close ofr good.

Rich's got smaller and finally closed.  Bradlees went down to 102 stores and stayed at that level.  They had to live with the sales from those stores only, not growth.  It was sad to see Ames closing stores up until the end...  

As for identity, you need to stand out and have your own style.  Kmart looks lost again trying to be Wal-Target-Sears with prototypes, color schemes, various logos...  I'm afraid they will dissapear pretty soon with that identity.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Why not start a Caldor VS. Bradlees topic

I agree that if a chain closes 30 percent of the store base it starts to become non-existant. I think they all did that.  Closing stores, then more stores, and finally they realize that they have to close ofr good.

Rich's got smaller and finally closed.  Bradlees went down to 102 stores and stayed at that level.  They had to live with the sales from those stores only, not growth.  It was sad to see Ames closing stores up until the end...  

As for identity, you need to stand out and have your own style.  Kmart looks lost again trying to be Wal-Target-Sears with prototypes, color schemes, various logos...  I'm afraid they will dissapear pretty soon with that identity.

u have a point there closing to many stores dosent help Caldor only closed siome stores but not to many  the store count droped from 172 in 1996 to 145 in 1998
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
unpopular merchandise one of the reasons Caldor closed

na the always had merchandise and it was good quitly bradlees was the one that had that problme

Caldor expaned into the dc aria witch cause problmes

also comptishion from wal mart and they were haveing trobnle getting outta ch 11

i though braddles was gonna go before caldor but ehh the worst happnmed first

but yea thats was some of Caldors problmes but the stores were keep well and such they were in populated places to witch helped
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Caldor did close for unpopular merchadise along with competition its TRUE!

I READ IT SOMEWHERE!

they did that a year before gob
Caldor Forever!

Mobil

Closing is often directly related to profit. Other times it is because individual stores were outdated. Sometimes after mergers, companies have "duplicate stores" such as in the Macys/May merger. Franchised stores may close if the franchisee retires.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
KIDDING ME Caldor was sooooo diffrent from Bradlees Ames ansd Jamesway they dident make there stores look cheep

and Caldor started before Bradlees Ames and Jamesway did so they tryed to copy from Caldor....

None of those stores were anything like Caldor, at all. And you never even went to a Jamesway store so you can't really say that they copied from anyone with their store image. Bradlees and Jamesway were both great in their own ways.

Ameskid

Ok, let's cut out the arguments.

Another reason (though it is mainly for restaurants) is failing a health inspection.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Pikapower

Online shopping that is why many of non big box stores are going out!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

danfifepsu

Go in way over their head like Target in Cananda and Ames when buying Zayre and Hills out.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Too much competition.
That is the reason why Prange Way went bankrupt in the holiday season in 1995 and Wal-Mart, Kmart and ShopKo are still around today in Wisconsin.

Copps dropped out of the discount store business to focus on their more-successful supermarket chain in the 1980s. (Copps Food Center, currently owned by Roundy's, a division of Kroger.)

Location is too hidden.
That is the reason why Shopko Express Pharmacy closed their downtown Green Bay store. Nobody knew about where it was, plus it was close to a very busy intersection. The space is now occupied by offices.

Acquisitions/buyouts.
Ames bought out the Big N, Zayre and Hills stores, eliminating their competitors by converting their stores to the Ames brand.
Shopko merged with Pamida, so therefore, all Pamida stores are now Shopko Hometown stores.

TheFugitive

1) Crappy customer service, which alienates customers who do not come back.

2) Run-down, poorly stocked and maintained stores, which achieve the same end.

3) Changes in the neighborhood where a store is located.  An area goes into decline
and people no longer feel safe going there to shop.

4) Another nearby location becomes hip and trendy, and shoppers abandon the old
places to go there instead.  (The Waterworks played a big role in killing Century III,
as did the Fallen Timbers Shops in killing Southwyck Mall.  They were way too close,
and FAR cooler.)

5) Changes in traffic patterns.  A new road or exit steers traffic away from the road
on which the store is located.

Pikapower

Sometimes stores just close without notice to employees and customers.

Just simply be like somebody posted a sign saying "Sorry we're closed forever" leaving people with nowhere else to go.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia