Main Menu

Goodbye Portland ME

Started by Zayre88, July 09, 2005, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

We just lost another Ames.  The Portland Ames store has just been demolished along with the former Shaw's in the same plaza.  This will be to leave space for a new Lowe's.  

That Ames was also one of the early Zayre store in the U.S.  As of july 2004, there was still an original square wood door handle with the Zayre star carved in it.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
We just lost another Ames.  The Portland Ames store has just been demolished along with the former Shaw's in the same plaza.  This will be to leave space for a new Lowe's.  

That Ames was also one of the early Zayre store in the U.S.  As of july 2004, there was still an original square wood door handle with the Zayre star carved in it.

thats just sad:(
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

As you can see, it was listed with 12 other Zayre in this old ad...

Caldor1999

As you can see, it was listed with 12 other Zayre in this old ad...

thats coo add i was also wordring did Zayer ever have nay locations in NJ casue i saw this Pathmark thats looked just like a Zayer in Lakewood
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

That's the only remaining thing about that Ames ...  The red logo on the plaza sign.

And i'm sure they will rename the plaza "Pinetree Crossing"
or "The Shops at Pinetree"  or "Pinetree Marketplace"

Zayre88

Well now the land where Shaw's and Ames were is leveled, they repaved the parking lot near the remaining stores.

I think they will change the name because each new center being built has a "trendy" name like "The Shoppes at Anytown crossing"  or  "The Crossing at Anytown Marketplace"

The words PLAZA and Shopping Center are not good enough these days.  (Look at these new center names at: http://www.sraretail.com/newprojects.html)

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
AWWW ANOTHER DUMB LOWE'S TEARS DOWN A NICE AMES FOR ONE OF THEIR COOKIE CUTTER A** STORES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST HATE LOWES TOO DANG BOR-RING!:flaming:

it coule be worse Home Depot would have torn down the whole plazza and then desice that the wanna tear down a mall insted so it could be worse
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

it coule be worse Home Depot would have torn down the whole plazza and then desice that the wanna tear down a mall insted so it could be worse

Very true!

that does apply to this situation

when does lowe's open?

JimSawhill

Where did the Shaw's go?? I know Pine Tree was near the Maine Mall and in Scarborough there was a Shaw's on the same street... (but bigger).
      Is Marden's still in the Shopping Center (as per sign)?

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill

Where did the Shaw's go?? I know Pine Tree was near the Maine Mall and in Scarborough there was a Shaw's on the same street... (but bigger).

Shaw's moved across the Interstate in Westbrook to the new Kohl's anchored shopping center.  

Marden's is still there but maybe it will move away.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill

Shaw's moved across the Interstate in Westbrook to the new Kohl's anchored shopping center.  

Marden's is still there but maybe it will move away.

I went by Pine TRee yesterday (january 4) and Lowe's is up, but no color is on the building. I went to watervile, augusta, gardner, grey, windham, westbrook, portland, south portland, scarborough and biddeford that day. I am from plymouth NH and I got home at 12:30 am. I SAW THE AMES IN WATERVILLE AND AUGUSTA STILL VACANT. BUT  I SAW A TRUCK NEAR THE ONE IN WATERVILLE!!

storehistoryguy

See!!!! Lowe's destroys everything!! I'm so sick of them!!! :flaming::mad:

d_fife

this is what the Ames and Shaw's in Pine tree is becoming--- Lowe's. Only the shell of the building was up when I went there 2 days ago!!

I will go by the there in MArch or April when I visit the new TArget in Topsham and see the store when more of the building is up. The area next to Daddys is lowe's garden area. This was the best picture I could get as it was dark when I was there and only the shell of the building was up.

d_fife

this is the current sign of hte pine tree shopping center/.