Dollar General

Started by storehistoryguy, July 07, 2005, 04:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

from what I can see, it could ethier be an old Grand Union or Price Chopper.

d_fife

here is dollar general in norwich ny in the former ames complex.

d_fife

I saw a lot of those in the state of NY. the closest to NE is in hudson falls ny

d_fife

Kmart4life

Love them or hate them they are pretty popular and there's one around every corner.

KmartDanny09

This is a Dollar general in Toledo, Oh...

It located in plaza with a soon-to-be fitness gym (formely, Food Town, a Sparten-Owned regional grocery chain) and warehouse for the Toledo Hospital (located in the former Hair World space.)

Hair World replaced Shoe Cents, a low-cost shoe store. Hair World only lasted a year or two...

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Another older one.

I saw this type of Dollar General sign in Gettysburg, PA when I went to the civil war re-enactment on the fourth of july weekend, but when I got a picture a car got in the way so only half of the sign can be seen.

GothicPrincess

the front of a dollar general in Hillcrest Plaza in Bethel Park fell down...

Mar 6, 2009 2:55 pm US/Eastern
Crews Clear Rubble After Store Front Collapse

BETHEL PARK (KDKA) ―

Roof Collapse At Hillcrest Shopping Center

Crews have started the long clean-up process after a store front collapsed today at a shopping center in Bethel Park.

The partial roof collapse happened this morning at the Hillcrest Shopping Plaza on Route 88.

Police and fire crews were called to the scene when the collapse was reported. Officials have also brought in some equipment to help with clearing away all the rubble and debris left behind.

Authorities say crews did not believe anyone was injured or trapped.

However, officials say the scene was being evaluated. The shopping plaza was evacuated after the collapse was reported.

There is no reports so far on what may have caused the store front to fall.

image courtesy of KDKA.com
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

store215

Dollar General has a new logo! Still not exciting looking but I think it makes them look more modern.

Bdubs

Looks like Dollar General is making an entrance to the CT market. 

Found this article on the CBS Money website:

GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn. -- Discount-store operator Dollar General Corp. said Monday it plans to open 625 new stores and hire more than 6,000 workers in 2011.

The company said Monday the store openings will be in 35 states it currently operates in as well as in three new states: Connecticut, Nevada and New Hampshire. It also plans to remodel or relocate 550 stores.

Dollar General, based in Goodlettsville, Tenn., currently operates 9,200 stores and employs 88,000 staffers.

Its stores have gained market share from competitors such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., as consumers count pennies because of high unemployment and the uncertain economy.

In December Dollar General said its third-quarter net income rose 69 percent, helped by cost cuts and higher revenue, and the company raised its full-year guidance. Its revenue rose 10 percent to $3.22 billion.

Its shares rose 12 cents to $30.78 in morning trading.

retailisking

Isn't it funny that a chain run by a former Supervalu executive is thriving while Supervalu itself under a former Walmart exec is tanking?  I hope the growth of Dollar General will encourage Family Dollar to improve their lackluster stores.

ynkeesfn82

They can open in Southington, Connecticut in The Shoprite Plaza. At 9,500 square feet, half the former KB Toyworks is just over the size of the average Dollar General store, which according to their website is 9,014 square feet. In 2006 the former KB was subdivided into a 5,000 Square foot Citibank and 9,500 square feet of vacant space. The Citibank closed down in 2008 less than 2 years after it opened. Since there's already this ready-made spot the right size there's no reason for them to sub-divide the 20,000 Square foot former Bernie's.

standa

A Dollar General Market will be opening soon in my town, Hamden, CT.    Is anyone familiar with it?  Is it similar to Aldi?  Does it sell good stuff or mostly junk?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on September 02, 2011, 09:45:48 AM
A Dollar General Market will be opening soon in my town, Hamden, CT.    Is anyone familiar with it?  Is it similar to Aldi?  Does it sell good stuff or mostly junk?

I wish they would come to Southington.

katnapped

Quote from: standa on September 02, 2011, 09:45:48 AM

From what I've heard it's larger than the conventional Dollar General stores and tends to have more food.

vwnut13

They built a Dollar General in Lyndonville, VT and it did so well they expanded into the rest of the building.

The sad part is that the new Dollar General stores are nothing like the old.

This one is well stocked and neat.  I like the sketchy Dollar General stores in the south better!   ;D

retailisking

I'll take the new kind.  ;D  I've still got to visit a Dollar General; how does it compare to a Family Dollar?  Even the northern Family Dollar stores are kinda sketchy!

CTAmeshopper

We're getting a Dollar General here in Torrington. It's in the former space of Brooks Pharmacy. It's good to see some activity going on in Torrington Plaza.

shore72

Overall I think Dollar General is just a little better than Family Dollar, but there really isn't much difference. I think DG has more brand names and seems a little less "cheesy". In many towns Family Dollar has a newer location, which helps them. I shop them both as they are convenient, cheap, and outside of venturing into the Food Lion in our town, they are the only choice without leaving the zip code. Our DG is an old, downtown location (former Silco, I believe) and seems to have almost zero storage space. So, when the delivery truck comes, the place can become almost unshoppable as the aisles get filled with boxes.

Kmart4life

Closed Dollar General Store which moved into an old Eckerd drug location less than 1/4 mile down the street. Sorry for the pic my phone is stupid!

retailisking

Old news again, but DG opened their first New Hampshire store in Nashua back in November.  I thought it was a strange place for their first store in the Granite State since they have so many in Vermont already (several of them not far from the NH border) but no stores (yet) in MA. It'll be interesting to see how they spread out from there. Is it me, or does it look more like an office supply store than a discount store?

Ameskid

At my local Dollar General, they ask you for ID if you look like you're under 18. Stupidest f**king rule ever.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

ynkeesfn82

Dollar General is moving into the old Waldbaum's in Bristol, CT on Divinity Street.

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2013/01/09/news/doc50ed99b5436d5322479269.txt

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on January 09, 2013, 03:18:51 PM
Dollar General is moving into the old Waldbaum's in Bristol, CT on Divinity Street.

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2013/01/09/news/doc50ed99b5436d5322479269.txt

Grand opening is Saturday April 6th.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 01, 2013, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: Marc B on January 09, 2013, 03:18:51 PM

Grand opening is Saturday April 6th.

How was the crowds at the grand opening??

ynkeesfn82

I didn't go. I figured it would be too crowded. Plus Lite 100.5 was there giving out T-Shirts, CDs, concert tickets, etc.

crum186

I stopped by the new Bristol location late Saturday morning. It actually wasn't too crowded. At least they cleaned up the exterior of the building a bit.

Kmart4life

crum186 welcome aboard!

ynkeesfn82

Went to the new store in Bristol, Connecticut today. It's pretty nice and it's definitely a step up from Family Dollar.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 14, 2013, 12:04:48 PM
Went to the new store in Bristol, Connecticut today. It's pretty nice and it's definitely a step up from Family Dollar.
[/quote

Dollar General is a bit better than Family Dollar. Family Dollars are all different, while the Dollar General I've been to is more upscaale looking...