House Of Bargains

Started by storehistoryguy, July 07, 2005, 04:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

The damaged goods and closeout store. Discuss!

store215

Wow, I almost forgot about this small "chain". I remember getting lots of name-brand clothing there when I was younger. Anyone know when the last one closed? (I think stores just starting closing one by one)

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Wow, I almost forgot about this small chain. I remember getting lots of name-brand clothing there when I was younger. Anyone know when the last one closed? (I think stores just starting closing one by one)

Just a couple years ago. They went out slowly.

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Where were they founded and what was the logo?

where were they located?

They had a simular logo to Dollar General only there weren't any lines in the background and the letters were just a plain font. I'm not sure where they were started but it was during the 70's I saw the first one open. They were small stores. I'd say no bigger then a dollar store. Some locations I know were in Warminster Pa. and Willow Grove Pa. Montgomeryville Pa. The stores closed very slowly, like one by one, so I'm not sure of the exact year they went out. It was earlier this decate. They exsisted in this millenium.

storehistoryguy

is this it?

Uhhh no. Thats a shack with a fake House Of Bargains sign on it. I just made a sign that looks simular to the real thing because I can't find the real thing anywhere. The worlds are in to much of an italic though, but thats the best I could get it.

storehistoryguy

You mean a slight italic like this?

BTW when did they go out of business?

that'll might help finding it on the internet

Yes, but the letters were black.

The stores closed very slowly, like one by one, so I'm not sure of the exact year they went out. It was earlier this decate. They exsisted in this millenium.

store215

Here are some old listings that came up in Google...looks like they had quite a few locations in Philadelphia itself.(I haven't tried any of the numbers)
House Of Bargains
2461 N 54th Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-879-6556

House Of Bargains
6422 Sackett Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-332-0550

House Of Bargains Inc
1500 E Erie Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-289-1880

House Of Bargains Inc
833 Adams Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-535-6929

House Of Bargains Inc
7116 Ridge Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-483-5752

House Of Bargains Inc
6500 Elmwood Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-365-4255

House Of Bargains Inc
1939 S Juniper Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-465-8841

House Of Bargains Inc
11725 Bustleton Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-677-5750

storehistoryguy

Here are some old listings that came up in Google...looks like they had quite a few locations in Philadelphia itself.(I haven't tried any of the numbers)
House Of Bargains
2461 N 54th Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-879-6556

House Of Bargains
6422 Sackett Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-332-0550

House Of Bargains Inc
1500 E Erie Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-289-1880

House Of Bargains Inc
833 Adams Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-535-6929

House Of Bargains Inc
7116 Ridge Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-483-5752

House Of Bargains Inc
6500 Elmwood Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-365-4255

House Of Bargains Inc
1939 S Juniper Street - Philadelphia, PA

215-465-8841

House Of Bargains Inc
11725 Bustleton Avenue - Philadelphia, PA

215-677-5750

Did you find any pics?

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

Did you find any pics?

No, but here is some other info:

Company:     

HOUSE OF BARGAINS INC
     W Conshohocken,  PA
     USA

Contacts:    Ned Kaplin,  Owner

Phone :    6108341600    Fax: 6108340942  
(The Phone Number goes to someone's private residence if you type the number in google)

store215

More info from a site from late 1997:

"House of Bargains, Inc. trades as Kid Spot and House of Bargains at 54 locations in DE, IL, IN, MI, NJ and PA.  The stores, selling children's apparel and related accessories for infants through girls size 14 and boys size 20, occupy spaces of 4,000 sq.ft. to 5,000 sq.ft. in strip centers.  Growth opportunities are sought in the Chicago, IL and Detroit, MI metropolitan areas.

For more information, contact Sue Fafara, House of Bargains, Inc., 70 Portland Road, West Conshohocken, PA 19428; 610-834-1600, Fax 834-0942."

There was a KidSpot store that opened up in the Neshaminy Mall I think it was around 2000, and was only open for a year or so. (The store has only held temporary businesses since it closed)I guess the whole company folded around that time.

storehistoryguy

More info from a site from late 1997:

"House of Bargains, Inc. trades as Kid Spot and House of Bargains at 54 locations in DE, IL, IN, MI, NJ and PA.  The stores, selling children's apparel and related accessories for infants through girls size 14 and boys size 20, occupy spaces of 4,000 sq.ft. to 5,000 sq.ft. in strip centers.  Growth opportunities are sought in the Chicago, IL and Detroit, MI metropolitan areas.

For more information, contact Sue Fafara, House of Bargains, Inc., 70 Portland Road, West Conshohocken, PA 19428; 610-834-1600, Fax 834-0942."

There was a KidSpot store that opened up in the Neshaminy Mall I think it was around 2000, and was only open for a year or so. (The store has only held temporary businesses since it closed)I guess the whole company folded around that time.

I remember a Kid Spot opening where the Willow Grove House Of Bargains was. Thats not even there anymore though. I can't remember what it is now but there is something there.