areas of no

Started by d_fife, July 06, 2005, 07:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

I noticed that most chains have no stores north of BANGOR MAine? Why is that? Bangor is 180 miles north of Kittery Maine/Portsmouth NH, 135 miles from Portland. I hear there is a mall called the ARoostook CEntre Mall in Presque ISle, which I hear is 3 hours north of Bangor.

And how come Kmart and KB Toys pulled out of Alaska?

How come Vermont is the only state in the contientnal US without TargeT? Vermont is just resistant of retail stores. I feel bad for Vermont with No Target. There are other chains that are not in Vermont: Babies R us, AC MOORe, MAcy's, CompUSa, Officemax, DSw Shoes, Lowe's (Though they are trying to put one in Burlington) Sports Authority, AJ WRight, And there are no Super Wal-marts.

No Toys r us in Wyoming? The only state without one, KB pullled out of WYoming? Now there is no national toy store in Wyoming.

Cape Cod (I went there 2 years ago and afterwards I researched the area) is worse than Vermont with retail. Like they don't allow too many MCdonald's, since the Cape is mainly sit down restuarants and MAshpee, Chatham and Harwich have no fast food restuarants. MAshpee has 99 resutarnt but that does not count. Teh Cape had a lot of STop and shops. Yet the franchises in the Cape are in Hyannis: Toys r us, The cape cod mall w/ith Best buy, MAcy's, Filene,s MArshalls, TJ maxx, Kmart, Staples, PEtsmart, Newbuy Comics, Olive Garden, FRiendly's, Chili's, Wendy's, Burger king( though it is downtown and off Exit 6), McDonald's, Tweeter Etc, Christmas tree shops, Borders Books, Barnes and Noble (in the mall) filene's basement, AC Moore, A new Home Depot that replaced a Bradlees (The home depot is small), Old NAvy, Stop and shop, Shaw's. And Yarmouth has Mcds, BK. Dennis only has BK, that is near a plaza with Marshalls and a Cinema. ORleans only has wendy's. Falmouth has the falmouth mall, an indoor mall that closed and was becoming an open air center, and has a wal-mart (small and was a Bradlees), Shaw's, Home goods, TJ MAxx, Christmst tree shops, STaples, BK, mcds. Bourne has 2 Mcds and a BK. North of Orleans is NO FRANCHISES. BRADLEES was the main department store in the CApe Cod, with stores in Orleans, Falmouth, Hyannis, and Dennisport. The one in Dennisport looked like it was built in 1964 and WAS VERY VERY SMALL and was an Ocean state job lot when  I saw it. That bradlees was said to be like 37,000 square feet. The one in Orleans was small and I heard that STop and Shop expanded into it and the remaining part of othe old Stop and Shop was became TJ MAxx. The one in Falmouth was not very big and became wal-mart. The one in Hyannis was somewhat big. ORLEANS IS SUNK BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO WAL-mart and there is no land to put one and they would never let them build one, and ORleans had X-mas tree shops, Staples, blockbuster.
There were X-mas tree shops ALL OVER THE CAPE from Bourne to Orleans. The first one was in Yarmouthport, it is divided into houselike buildings. the others were in Orleans, Yarmouth, Bourne (just off the sagamore bridge and has a windmill), Dennis and Falmouth, and THEY WERE SMALl. THERE IS ONE IN HYANNIS AND THAT ONE IS BIG and the biggest in the CAPE COD.

Anonymous

Aldi- well, I read that it is England's largest foodservice. It seems to be obscure. Why???
Sears- No, definitely not obscure, but they seem to be losing resistance.
ShopKo- What the heck is a shop co? Not popular in the central Midwest.
TJ Maxx- Not very popular, and little variety. Don't see 'em much anymore.
Hecht's- The only spot they're bountiful in is Maryland.
A.J. Wright- Cheapest store on earth. I went there once and saw them selling a Mainstays clock! Mainstays is an exclusive Wal*Mart brand! Likely to go the way of ames, Caldor, and Bradlees.
Not to be a critic, but these guys will go down like the Titanic.....and not before long!

Zayre88

Bickford's of "New England", but no restaurant in Maine.

No Costco in Maine and only 1 remaining in NH...

No Modell's in Maine and Vermont

Caldor1999

we dont have any dillards around hear or sonic but sonic loves to advertise hear whitch gets me mad cause  there food look sooooo good
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Marc82

Sonic won't work in New England because of the harsh winters.  My understnading is the concept of their restaurant is drive up. You drive up place your order. Someone comes out and brings it to you.

NJxxJon

Sonic LOVE TO ADVERTISE here in NJ too...but ..youd think thed knock down the chic flia first.... :insane:
JN

thedisneystore967

QuoteHow come Vermont is the only state in the contientnal US without TargeT? Vermont is just resistant of retail stores. I feel bad for Vermont with No Target. There are other chains that are not in Vermont: Babies R us, AC MOORe, MAcy's, CompUSa, Officemax, DSw Shoes, Lowe's (Though they are trying to put one in Burlington) Sports Authority, AJ WRight, And there are no Super Wal-marts.
THAT'S A GOOD THING!!! Sprawl=bad. Home Depot/Walmart/Target/Lowes/-BADBADBADBADBAD!!!! Sprawl including any combo of Home Depot, Target, Lowes & WalMart=WORST OF ALL!!!!

AmesNewington

THAT'S A GOOD THING!!! Sprawl=bad. Home Depot/Walmart/Target/Lowes/-BADBADBADBADBAD!!!! Sprawl including any combo of Home Depot, Target, Lowes & WalMart=WORST OF ALL!!!![/quote]

Well, the Berlin Turnpike is not a good place for struggling retailers at the moment. They have all the stores listed above. YIKES!

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by thedisneystore967
QuoteHow come Vermont is the only state in the contientnal US without TargeT? Vermont is just resistant of retail stores. I feel bad for Vermont with No Target. There are other chains that are not in Vermont: Babies R us, AC MOORe, MAcy's, CompUSa, Officemax, DSw Shoes, Lowe's (Though they are trying to put one in Burlington) Sports Authority, AJ WRight, And there are no Super Wal-marts.
THAT'S A GOOD THING!!! Sprawl=bad. Home Depot/Walmart/Target/Lowes/-BADBADBADBADBAD!!!! Sprawl including any combo of Home Depot, Target, Lowes & WalMart=WORST OF ALL!!!!

I agree.....SPRAWL! Three new big-box centers have just been paved in my area, already overdevloped. I feel for you.

Marc82

Despite the current economic situation a long vacant building in downtown New Britain, Connecticut is being rehabbed. It will feature Retail on the first floor and apartments on the second floor.

http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2008/12/04/news/doc4938b0b1ad80d728361308.txt

Marc82

Despite the current economic situation a vacant diner in the downtown area of the small Connecticut town of Plainville is under new ownership and will reopen December 20th after being closed for more than 2 years. The owner also owns Frank's Restaurant in the Price Chopper plaza in Bristol.

http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2008/12/04/entertainment/doc4938ad88578da711771424.txt