Bob Evans

Started by LazarusFan, July 05, 2005, 08:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazarusFan

Anyone know what this restaurant is?

Anyways the restaurant started in Rio Grande, Ohio in the late-60's.  Thanks in part of Bob Evans and his friend former governor of Ohio Rhodes, his restaurant grew off of major interstate highways in Ohio and Bob Evans served his famous sausage burgers.

Today the restaurant is sort of like the midwest version of Howard Johnson's only though the restaurant and menu has changed through time like the crowd has too.  Bob Evans is starting to expand in Carolinas and has really destoried Shoney's territory in the Southeast.

storehistoryguy

I only know one in Southhampton Pa.

Zayre88

I remember seing one in Daytona FL back in 1992...

d_fife

here is bob evans in watertown ny.

beachgal26

The first time that I ever saw one was somewhere outside of Orlando, FL in the mid-80's.  After that we saw a few off the interstate as we would travel north to see our family.  There is at least one in the Orlando area near Disney and we have one here in Memphis near our Galleria Mall.

Their food has always been very good and most of the time the service is excellent.  They have a wide variety of breakfast items along with sandwiches, burgers, desserts, etc.  Their prices run about the same as Perkins, but I would trade it in for a Friendley's in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!

:yup: :) :D

JustinT

Bob Evans made a short expansion into New England, if only through one restaurant, although they have since pulled out. A location opened in Westborough, MA around 1997 adjacent to the Northborough Wal-Mart. The restaurant always seemed to be busy on the several times that I visited. The interior featured a midwestern, country decor. The food was always decent as well; very similar to the New England-based Friendly's chain, but with fresher food and great service.

For some reason, the restaurant closed in late 2004/early 2005, and became (ironically) a Friendly's immediately after. With the closure of Bob Evans' Westborough location, there are none in New England.

BillyGr

I'm guessing that the company has had some overall financial problems - they had purchased a chain called Owens in Texas, but closed all of those back in January.  There was also a fairly new one in Syracuse a couple years back which I see is no longer listed on the website, so I'd guess that closed as well.

Thank you for confirming that there was one in Mass - I thought I had seen that on their site at one time but of course it's not there now and I wasn't sure.

tokensafari

oh heavens, Bob Evans. That is about all we have around here for the exception of two Shoney's and a Waffle House and a Cracker Barrel. I'm not real Big on 'em apart from their breakfast, the only thing good in my opinion. The past year or so they have been tearing down the old ones and rebuilding them to a cleaner more modern style like in some of the pictures above. Over all, i think they are decent, but easily beatable

HoJofan206

Evansville Indiana.  Classic version of the 1980's Bob Evans eateries.

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

shakethis1234

u get your money's worth at bob evens u get alot food for what u pay for

FearlessSwan

Kmart4life

Their food is pretty good too.

Mobil

In Malvern, PA, there was a Bob Evans at the now-closed McIntosh Inn. McIntosh Inn was a local chain which sold two locations to Holiday Inn Express in 2004, and recently sold the rest to various companies. Most McIntosh Inns had Denny's.

rjstheiv

This Bob Evan's has been torn down and re-built since this pic. This is from around 2000 or so. Bob Evan's in West Mifflin PA.

JimSawhill

I go to the local Bob Evan's here in Ruskin/SunCityCenter, but I like Denny's better (which is nearby!)

dave73

There's 1 Bob Evans in Merrillville Indiana.  Their original Merrillville location is now Arbys, while the new location just feet from the old location, is much bigger.  I never went there for breakfast, but have been for lunch & dinner.  You pick an entree, along with your sides, or a sandwich & fries.  It has a country look to the restaurant.  Reasonably priced food, and find it good.  The location I used to live closest to was closed in 1994 in Hammond Indiana, due to eminent domain.  It was originally sold as part of the I-80/94 ramp relocation, but the ramp never got anywhere near the restaurant.  That location is now De Ja Vu, a gentlemen's club.

retailisking

Struggling restaurant chain sold to Golden Gate Capital for $565 million
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170124/bob-evans-sells-restaurants-food-division-buys-potato-company

TheFugitive

Quote from: rjstheiv on January 11, 2009, 03:50:25 PM
This Bob Evan's has been torn down and re-built since this pic. This is from around 2000 or so. Bob Evan's in West Mifflin PA.

Right around the corner from the old Service Merchandise where I used to work.
That restaurant actually seems to be quite busy.