Pathmark?!

Started by store215, January 06, 2005, 08:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

Post your thoughts on this chain.

All of their stores i have been to are bright, large, and clean, but they all feel "old" and 80's decor. Their prices are pretty poor on things that are not on sale.

The store that I and the rest of my family shop at is huge and has a larger parking lot than it needs. The store is always dead as many old customers now shop at the Giant and ShopRite right down the street. There is a huge spot where the Fleet bank was removed and it looks horrible. I don't expect this location for be open for much longer.

Caldor1999

there r a lot of then located near meive seen the befor but i never shoped in one before
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

I saw one in Yonkers from the train the other day when I went down to New York City.

Anonymous

Well, they make alot of money, but its not a store you would want to purchase perishables at.  They are very strong in non perishable foods, and dairy and frozen... but their deli, bakery, seafood, and meat departments are absolutely terrible.  They seem to be hurting now that Stop & Shop is expanding overnight on LI, people are really starting to take to Stop & Shop now.  Pathmark's future is looking bleak.  The only parts they definately will survive is the NY metro areas.  They have excellent presence there.  Their latest store decor looks much more modern than the red, orange, tan and white decor in most stores.  I've been in their Bethpage store a few times, just opened early mid last year, and it is far more modern than the other Pathmarks.  If they don't do something sonner or later about their perishable depts. ESPECIALLY the ones near King Kullen stores and Stop & Shop, they will continue to suffer.  Even their latest sales figures are down...

store215

It looks like C&S Wholesale, (who owns whatever is left of the Grand Union Chain) wants to buy Pathmark

store215

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
how old is Pathmark's logo?

I believe it's from the late 60's when they started. I haven't come across any different logos besides the one they have been using.

storehistoryguy

BillyGr

Just as a side note - the first Pathmarks were originally
Shop-Rite stores - the owners (as part of the co-op that runs ShopRite) decided to leave the co-op and therefore couldn't use the ShopRite name any longer - this is when PathMark was born.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Just as a side note - the first Pathmarks were originally
Shop-Rite stores - the owners (as part of the co-op that runs ShopRite) decided to leave the co-op and therefore couldn't use the ShopRite name any longer - this is when PathMark was born.

So they were originally Shop Rites? Cool! Never knew that. Are there some Pathmark locations that used to be Shop Rites? Theres none of those in my area.

store215

Pathmark was also connected to the Rickel Hardware Store chain (in many cases, like Warminster, PA for example, a Pathmark and Rickel would be in the same shopping center or at least close by. I don't know if they were  still owned by Pathmark (aka Supermarkets General) in the end or not. They all closed in 1998 and most of the building leases went to Staples.

Pathmark/Supermarkets General also operated F&M Large-Format Pharmacies, which were sold somewhere along the line to Drug Emporium.

I haven't been able to find Pics of any of the chains above.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Pathmark was also connected to the Rickel Hardware Store chain (in many cases, like Warminster, PA for example, a Pathmark and Rickel would be in the same shopping center or at least close by. I don't know if they were  still owned by Pathmark (aka Supermarkets General) in the end or not. They all closed in 1998 and most of the building leases went to Staples.

Pathmark/Supermarkets General also operated F&M Large-Format Pharmacies, which were sold somewhere along the line to Drug Emporium.

I haven't been able to find Pics of any of the chains above.

The Rickels in Warminster (now Staples) was next door to the Pathmark, but the Pathmark wasn't part of the shopping center Rickels was in and still isn't. I think they should just make it part of it by putting there name on the shopping center sign.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
So they were originally Shop Rites? Cool! Never knew that. Are there some Pathmark locations that used to be Shop Rites? Theres none of those in my area.

I don't know - niether website indicates which stores (although the SR site says that they lost about 1/2 their wholesale volume when pathmark left) - here's the link to their history page :

http://www.shoprite.com/main/allabout_yesterday.htm

Also - to add to the comment about Rickel - the East Brunswick Pathmark was next to one of these - it's now a (smaller looking) Home Depot but was first something else - I think it was just Home Depot under another name (kind of like WalMart with Neighborhood Markets)

store215

Also - to add to the comment about Rickel - the East Brunswick Pathmark was next to one of these - it's now a (smaller looking) Home Depot but was first something else - I think it was just Home Depot under another name (kind of like WalMart with Neighborhood Markets)

Does the name "Channel Hardware" sound familiar? Rickel "merged" with them a few years before Rickel closed.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

Does the name "Channel Hardware" sound familiar? Rickel "merged" with them a few years before Rickel closed.

Channel is gone too.

storehistoryguy

Heres a nice looking Pathmark with a police car out front. (Probebly stopped for doughnuts and coffee! :insane: )

storehistoryguy

Pathmark toy truck.

store215

d_fife

this parthmark is in staten island ny on platnum ave

ameskmart1

Pathmark Supercenter
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Caldor1999

pathmark dosent seem like such a clean looking super markte all teh ones located hear are dirty and out dated
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Amesfan

Pathmark's changed it's stores around in New Jersey a little.  Some of them have new graphic interiors with red and pink stuff.  Lots in Monmouth County have them, the Eatontown store, the Hazlet store, the Middletown store, and I think the Wall store, Howell, and I think a couple others around New Jersey have those interiors with the new style.  Pathmark's even changed it's logo in it's advertising and circulars.

store215

Pictures inside a recently-closed Pathmark. Most of their stores look similar to this

http://www.grafeauction.com/auctions/images.cfm?AuctionID=1536&State=PA

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

This one looks nice with the bridge and the sunset in the background.

www.zettler.at/ny/ 002bridges/source/1.html