Pathmark?!

Started by store215, January 06, 2005, 08:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

Here is a pic of the Pathmark Sav-A-Center on Cottman Avenue & Large Street, in Philadelphia, PA that started as Super Fresh Super Store:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JimSawhill

Quote from: MikeRa on February 04, 2014, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: zonemad96 on February 04, 2014, 05:22:33 PM
Don't know if I should put this in the pathmark thread the hills thread or the kmart tread.

i would put this pic in all 3 threads, since all 3 are mentioned

And maybe start a UA theater thread and put it there too  :)

Stork of The Weak

Pathmark was supposed to build a store at the former Sears site in Norristown, PA. It's a shame these plans fell through with the A&P bankruptcy. I thought maybe Giant or ShopRite could build a store at the site instead but neither did. Also the Super Fresh on Girard Ave in Philadelphia has the distinction of having been converted from a Pathmark to a Super Fresh and NOT the other way around.

FitchMike26

Hi Stork. As far as I know, Pathmark was never an announced tenant at "Studio Centre" which is the official name of the redevelopment project of the former Sears store in Norristown. Where did you read this?

Also, The Girard Ave store was announced as a Pathmark, but was actually built as a Superfresh. No conversion occurred after construction started.

MikeRa

Here is a pic of the interior of the Pathmark Sav-A-Center on Frankford Avenue, with the "Sav-A-Center" interior decor, which replaced the "Path To" interior decor.

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: FitchMike26 on June 16, 2014, 06:52:00 PM
Hi Stork. As far as I know, Pathmark was never an announced tenant at "Studio Centre" which is the official name of the redevelopment project of the former Sears store in Norristown. Where did you read this?

Also, The Girard Ave store was announced as a Pathmark, but was actually built as a Superfresh. No conversion occurred after construction started.

Pathmark most certainly had plans for Studio Centre, according to an Inquirer article several years back. Also, the store on Girard never was actually open as a Pathmark, but was indeed given Pathmark signage that sat on the store awhile while the opening stalled due to the A&P bankruptcy. I once had a talk with the manager of this particular store and he said a survey was done of area residents to determine a preference they had for either Pathmark or Super Fresh, and the results were surprising (guess which name they liked and which name they hated?)

MikeRa

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on June 17, 2014, 09:49:26 PM
Quote from: FitchMike26 on June 16, 2014, 06:52:00 PM

Pathmark most certainly had plans for Studio Centre, according to an Inquirer article several years back. Also, the store on Girard never was actually open as a Pathmark, but was indeed given Pathmark signage that sat on the store awhile while the opening stalled due to the A&P bankruptcy. I once had a talk with the manager of this particular store and he said a survey was done of area residents to determine a preference they had for either Pathmark or Super Fresh, and the results were surprising (guess which name they liked and which name they hated?)
This location has the current incarnation of the "Fresh" interior decor, which was put in instead of using the "Sav-A-Center" interior decor, which is a good thing.

FitchMike26

Stork and MikeRA, thanks for the additional info!

EddieJ1984

Per the circular this week, you no longer need the savings card for pathmark.
Interesting since Acme did this a couple months ago or last year.

MikeRa

2 different Pathmark Sav-A-Center locations were in the news here in Philadelphia within the past 10 , but for the wrong reasons.

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center on Cottman Avenue, near Rising Sun Avenue, was in the news last week because of a stabbing that occured in the dairy section of the store.

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center on Frankford Avenue was in the news last night/early this moring for an incident that was in the parking lot.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: MikeRa on October 13, 2014, 03:54:56 AM
2 different Pathmark Sav-A-Center locations were in the news here in Philadelphia within the past 10 , but for the wrong reasons.

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center on Cottman Avenue, near Rising Sun Avenue, was in the news last week because of a stabbing that occured in the dairy section of the store.

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center on Frankford Avenue was in the news last night/early this moring for an incident that was in the parking lot.

Sadly with what I've read about the murder rate in Philly, I'm not surprised that the acts of violence are taking place in businesses.

And a quick story related to that. Several years ago a friend of mine - PB along with another friend of ours JF (who is not a friend of mine any more) were planning a trip to King of Prussia. JF all excited told his Mom. She asked JF where King of Prussia was and when JF told his MOM it was near Philly she had a freak out. She calls me and leaves me a voice-mail "How dare you suggest my son go with you to Philly?! Didn't you know last year Philly had 605 murders?"  The woman would not listen to reason. She wouldn't accept that I was pretty certain The Amtrak station was safe. She wouldn't accept the fact that King of Prussia was not the same place as Philly. The three of us never did go to King of Prussia because of JF's Mom. We all knew he was kind of a Momma's Boy. But for crying out loud he was 24 or 25 years old! And PB and I were responsible young men 27 or 28 years old. We even assured her we'd take good care of her son.

MikeRa

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center at 8716 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, PA; as well as the Pathmark Super Center at 500 Lincoln Highway, Fairless Hills, PA; the Pathmark at 3399 Aramingo Avenue, Philadelphia, PA; the Pathmark Super Center at 2900 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA; the Pathmark Super Center at 176-82 Chelten Avenue, Philadelphia, PA; the Pathmark at 4160 Monument Avenue, Philadelphia, PA and the Pathmark Sav-A-Center at 1000 Easton Road, Wyncote, PA are having their Store Closing sale.

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center at 2101-41 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA; is having a normal circular until it's conversion to Acme Pharmacy.  The Pathmark Sav-A-Center at 7700 Crittendan St., Philadelphia, Pa is having a 6-Day Sale that ends 11/4/2015, when I would presume they would be closed for 3 days for conversion to Acme Pharmacy

EddieJ1984

So was in the Pathmark at cottman ave @ large and bleigh. Very interesting to see it before it gets switched over to being an Acme Market.
I took some pics, will be fun to see it in 2 weeks or so.

Gotta get rid of all the america's choice stuff! All the aisles are stocked with only name brand food that Acme will sell probably.

MikeRa

Pathmark, as of this past sunday, 11/21/2015, is now down to 2 stores.  These 2 stores will be closed as of end of 11/25

MikeRa

there is a shot of the Pathmark of Aramingo Avenue in the movie "Creed", which was filmed when Pathmark was still in business

DefunctStoreKing

does anyone haver any pics of pathmark brand items from the 80s?  (pathmark steak sauce, etc.)

here is my pathmark yahoogroup  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pathmarksupermarkets/info
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage

mjb1124

I guess we can move this back to the main supermarket section, because Pathmark is officially back as an Allegiance banner.  The store on Albany Ave in East Flatbush, Brooklyn has reopened under the same banner.   Now operated by Foodtown operator PSK.

http://brooklyn.news12.com/story/40248614/pathmark-supermarket-reopens-in-east-flatbush-under-new-retailer

The decor package looks a lot like the one Pathmark used in the late '90s.   Is that the package this store had at the time of closing?

MikeRa

Quote from: mjb1124 on April 13, 2019, 09:49:48 AM
I guess we can move this back to the main supermarket section, because Pathmark is officially back as an Allegiance banner.  The store on Albany Ave in East Flatbush, Brooklyn has reopened under the same banner.   Now operated by Foodtown operator PSK.

http://brooklyn.news12.com/story/40248614/pathmark-supermarket-reopens-in-east-flatbush-under-new-retailer

The decor package looks a lot like the one Pathmark used in the late '90s.   Is that the package this store had at the time of closing?
It depends on the area.  The Pathmark that were rebranded Super Fresh locations had the "Sav-A-Center" version of the Funky Fresh decor A&P used.

Retail Regents

Found this lovely sore behind the Tops in Tannersville, NY. Faded logo and junk carts under this trailer and every disused trailer behind it.

MikeRa

The former Pathmark Sav-A-Center at Franklin Mills (now Philadelphia Mills) has since been converted to a Indoor Car Wash.