Pathmark?!

Started by store215, January 06, 2005, 08:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
Pathmark will have 24 more "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" stores, all in the Philadelphia area, by converting all 16 "Pathmark Super Center" stores and 8 of the "Super Fresh Super Store", "Superfresh" and "Super Fresh Food Market" to the "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" name. :yup:

Which 8 Superfresh locations will be switched has yet to be determined, but all of the Superfresh stores in DE, DC, MD and NJ will still be "Superfresh":huh:

Seems to be a good move. Superfresh has awful prices, and Pathmarks weren't real great either, but this seems like a good move, especially with the poor economy.
(It looks like the Pathmark store brand is being phased out as well--replaced with A&P's own "America's Choice".)

MikeRa

There are now 5 Pathmark Sav-a-Center locations

[list=1]
  • Irvington, NJ
  • US Route 1, Edison, NJ
  • 4160 Monument Avenue, Philadelphia
  • 42 South 69th Street, Upper Darby, PA
  • 2101-41 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia (Opens 9/7.  Closed 9/6 as Super Fresh)
    [/list=1]

A 6th one is under renovations at the Super Fresh Super Store, set to open as Pathmark Sav-A-Center in October, the day after the Pathmark Super Center in Bensalem closes.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Here is a picture of a Pathmark Sav-A-Center shopping bag:

MikeRa

Here is a picture of a Pathmark Sav-A-Center receipt:

FearlessSwan

MikeRa

[list=1]
  • Irvington, NJ
  • US Route 1, Edison, NJ
    [/list=1]

A 6th one is under renovations at the Super Fresh Super Store, set to open as Pathmark Sav-A-Center in October, the day after the Pathmark Super Center in Bensalem closes.
Add to the Pathmark Sav-A-Center list in Philadelphia:
[list=1]
  • 8700 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia
  • 7700 Crittendon Street, Philadelphia (former A&P/Super Fresh)
  • 85 Franklin Mills Blvd, Philadelphia (former Super Fresh Super Store)
  • [/list=1]

DerangedHermit

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
will pathmark still continue to keep its own label?

They've already phased most of the Pathmark store brand out for America's Choice. The stuff that seems to remain usually have no AC equivalent.

EddieJ1984

yea the other week I saw a bag saying how the pathmark brand is bein replaced by america's choice.

Mervyns

[list=1]
  • Irvington, NJ
  • US Route 1, Edison, NJ
    [/list=1]

Add to the Pathmark Sav-A-Center list in Philadelphia:
[list=1]
  • 8700 Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia
  • 7700 Crittendon Street, Philadelphia (former A&P/Super Fresh)
  • 85 Franklin Mills Blvd, Philadelphia (former Super Fresh Super Store)
  • [/list=1]

former A&P/Super Fresh 450 Swedesford Rd., Berwyn

MikeRa

It seems that the Pathmark ads has all the Pathmark stores in PA, NJ, DE, and NY as "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" now

nims57

Are all Pathmarks becoming Sav-a-Center now? Look at the logo on www.pathmark.com

EddieJ1984

Yeah, it appears that way.
And to clear up any confusion one may have, I believe its pronounced "Save A Center" (That's how their voice mail says it)

Bit its a shame cause the one Pathmark kinda close to me on frankford ave in ne philly, renovated the inside 2 years ago or so, and I thought they did a nice job, this picture isn't of the paricular store, but you get the idea (The picture if from underconsideration.com)

But nope months ago they changed it to Pathmark sav-a-center.
and changed the walls to the nig lettering saying whats there and all, with basic colors and everything. so on that aspect I say downgrade.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
Are all Pathmarks becoming Sav-a-Center now? Look at the logo on www.pathmark.com
I believe all the Pathmark ads will say "Pathmark Sav-a-Center", but, as far as the actual stores themselves, only the Philadelphia area, Irvington, NJ, and Edison NJ Pathmark stores actually will have the "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" signs.  There are also 1 or 2 A&P Fresh stores that sill says "A&P Sav-A-Center" on their buildings.

acme style

Well that really sucks. I was in the Edgewater NJ Pathmark on Saturday. It was remodeled a year or two ago with the new upscale decor... 59th Street Deli, Chelsea Bakery, Bistro, cafe, beautiful upgrade to the Produce dept. Now it's being changed over to a Sav-a-center and looks absolutely ridiculous. The new decorative aisle signs have all been removed and replaced with the cheap and tacky sav-a-center signs. Everywhere you look it says "SAVE". I mean EVERYWHERE you look. It's obnoxious. Just as Pathmark was getting a little classier, they're now heading right back to the craptastic stores they've always been.
Check it out... Acme Style!

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
Well that really sucks. I was in the Edgewater NJ Pathmark on Saturday. It was remodeled a year or two ago with the new upscale decor... 59th Street Deli, Chelsea Bakery, Bistro, cafe, beautiful upgrade to the Produce dept. Now it's being changed over to a Sav-a-center and looks absolutely ridiculous. The new decorative aisle signs have all been removed and replaced with the cheap and tacky sav-a-center signs. Everywhere you look it says "SAVE". I mean EVERYWHERE you look. It's obnoxious. Just as Pathmark was getting a little classier, they're now heading right back to the craptastic stores they've always been.  

I really don't know..this direction may be a good thing for Pathmark. I think they realized that they are not good at the high-end thing, so are trying to emphasize low prices.. They are going back to their earlier times of the 80's and 90's when they were much more successful and aggressive in their pricing. And if you don't have the lowest prices in this economy, you are sunk.

liguy23

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by acme style

I really don't know..this direction may be a good thing for Pathmark. I think they realized that they are not good at the high-end thing, so are trying to emphasize low prices.. They are going back to their earlier times of the 80's and 90's when they were much more successful and aggressive in their pricing. And if you don't have the lowest prices in this economy, you are sunk.  

I think that all of these aggressive price cuts are going to hurt them in the long run, their regular prices are very high  but their sale prices are good... I'm not sure how they are going to make money on just selling sale items... between Pathmark and Waldbaum's.... Waldbaum's also offers a good ad every week but do all of your shopping there you will spend a fortune... just like Pathmark.  Stop & Shop doesn't always have the best ad, but it is decent and their regular prices are pretty reasonable.  I think they have the right mix and are able to make money because they aren't all about promotions.  King Kullen is priced out of this world and although they might have an ok ad every week most of their stores are ghost towns... which just comes to show you how most people view them,  just my thoughts.

acme style

The Edgewater Pathmark is the only one I've been in that has this new upscale decor remodel package. Not sure how many others have it but I guess it's been stopped dead in it's tracks now in favor of the new Sav-a-center look. Posting these images in case other Pathmark fans haven't seen this look.

Check it out... Acme Style!

DerangedHermit

QuoteOriginally posted by liguy23
I think that all of these aggressive price cuts are going to hurt them in the long run, their regular prices are very high  but their sale prices are good... I'm not sure how they are going to make money on just selling sale items... between Pathmark and Waldbaum's.... Waldbaum's also offers a good ad every week but do all of your shopping there you will spend a fortune... just like Pathmark.  Stop & Shop doesn't always have the best ad, but it is decent and their regular prices are pretty reasonable.  I think they have the right mix and are able to make money because they aren't all about promotions.  King Kullen is priced out of this world and although they might have an ok ad every week most of their stores are ghost towns... which just comes to show you how most people view them,  just my thoughts.  

I think Shoprite has the best combination of regular prices and sales, but:

1) They have very few (5, I think) locations on LI. They were in talks to open one in East Patchogue, but the proposed Walmart spooked them.
2) Their selection isn't the greatest.

In the absence of SR, I'd say S&S has the best selection and best regular prices (excluding places like Target, but as there are no Super Targets or Super Walmarts on LI, it doesn't really count).

MikeRa

Here is a picture of the Pathmark Sav-a-Center (former Super Fresh Super Store) at Franklin Mills Mall, Philadelphia, PA

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by EddieJ1984
Yeah, it appears that way.
And to clear up any confusion one may have, I believe its pronounced "Save A Center" (That's how their voice mail says it)

Bit its a shame cause the one Pathmark kinda close to me on frankford ave in ne philly, renovated the inside 2 years ago or so, and I thought they did a nice job, this picture isn't of the paricular store, but you get the idea (The picture if from underconsideration.com)

But nope months ago they changed it to Pathmark sav-a-center.
and changed the walls to the nig lettering saying whats there and all, with basic colors and everything. so on that aspect I say downgrade.
The old Pathmark Supercenter on Knights Road look like that as well, before it closed and was replaced by the former Super Fresh Super Store as Pathmark Sav-A-Center

GothicPrincess

just looked on google maps, Pathmark in Middletown NJ looks EXACTLY the same as when I was growing up there, 20+ years ago. My mom made me bag her groceries all the time...hence my future being sealed in retail until now...just says PATHMARK on the front of it, same old signage that I grew up looking at. Maybe a new layer of paint on the building, but it's the same color...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

MikeRa

The only Pathmark that got the "Sav-A-Center" singage are the ones in the Philadelphia area, Irvington, NJ, Edison, NJ and Newark, DE, including the Pathmark Sav-A-Centers that were origionally Super Fresh Super Stores.

DerangedHermit

The only Pathmark that got the "Sav-A-Center" singage are the ones in the Philadelphia area, Irvington, NJ, Edison, NJ and Newark, DE, including the Pathmark Sav-A-Centers that were origionally Super Fresh Super Stores.

The Pathmark nearest to me has Sav-A-Center signage inside the store plastered over the designs that EddieJ posted (rather cheaply, I might add), and it's not in the Philly area. It's in Patchogue, NY on Long Island.

It doesn't have the Sav-A-Center signage outside, though.

MikeRa

I'm guessing that A&P is now converting all the Pathmark Super Centers over to the "Sav-A-Center" format now.  They started with Irvington, NJ, then Edison, NJ, then Philadelphia area (a combo of the Pathmark Super Centers and most of the Super Fresh Super Stores), and then the newspaper ads.

paul3124

Pathmark (A&P) announced the closure of 3 more stores in southern Jersey:  Edgewater Park, Camden, and Cherry Hill.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: paul3124 on July 10, 2013, 08:18:39 PM
Pathmark (A&P) announced the closure of 3 more stores in southern Jersey:  Edgewater Park, Camden, and Cherry Hill.

I was in suburban Philly yesterday and saw this on the Philly newscast. One lady was there 29 years. Now she's going to retire. She also said she wasn't surprised.

MikeRa

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20130710_A_P_says_it_will_close_three_Pathmark_supermarkets_in_South_Jersey.html
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. told employees Tuesday that it would close three Pathmark supermarkets, in Cherry Hill, Camden, and Edgewater Park, in 60 days. Union leaders said about 300 clerks, stockers, cashiers, seafood, bakery, and meat and deli workers will lose their jobs.

A&P, which reorganized and emerged from bankruptcy in 2011, owns Pathmark and Super Fresh groceries. With the latest closings, the only Pathmark store in South Jersey will be in Ventnor.

"It did not come as a surprise," said Brian String, president of United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 152. "We had a premonition. We met with our members a month and a half ago and told them that we thought they were going to close these three stores."

String said A&P told the union the company was "losing a lot of money and looking for possible savings and to renegotiate the contract."

Labor officials renegotiated contracts with A&P when the supermarket corporation was in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. "My response was if, they were going to take the savings and put them into the stores and renovate the stores, we could sit down and have a discussion," String said. "That ended the conversation with the company."

A&P vice president Derrick Kinney confirmed the planned closures, but declined to comment further.

Some of the 56 seafood, bakery, meat cutters, and deli workers will be able to transfer to other Pathmark stores if they have adequate seniority based on "bumping rights" in their contract, String said.

The closings are just the latest, said Sam Ferraino, president of UFCW Local 1360. In January, A&P closed Super Fresh markets in Westmont, Marlton, and Plainsboro, N.J.

It was no surprise to one industry market-research analyst that the Pathmarks were on the chopping block.

"These were not high-volume, extremely high-performing stores in recent years," said Robert Gorland, vice president of Harrisburg-based Matthew P. Casey & Associates. His company performs feasibility studies on sites being considered for new supermarkets.

"Sometimes, it can be that a lease option was coming up. In other cases, the store may be underperforming."

Matthew Casey, owner of the consulting firm, said all three stores were unprofitable. Pathmark's lease in Camden expires next year, Casey said.

With the recent announcement that Camden will be getting a 75,000-square-foot Shop Rite on Admiral Wilson Boulevard, "I guess they [A&P] are getting out while they can," he said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20130710_A_P_says_it_will_close_three_Pathmark_supermarkets_in_South_Jersey.html#1Ec1bvIXgQ5HoJ3g.99

MikeRa

Pathmark has the bulk of their stores under either the Pathmark Super Center or Pathmark Sav-A-Center names, but all ads just says "Pathmark"

zonemad96

Don't know if I should put this in the pathmark thread the hills thread or the kmart tread.

Pathmark sign for the former Delco Plaza Mall in York PA
May 1993 photos from the John Lewis collection.

MikeRa

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 04, 2014, 05:22:33 PM
Don't know if I should put this in the pathmark thread the hills thread or the kmart tread.

i would put this pic in all 3 threads, since all 3 are mentioned