AMESFANCLUB
January 19, 2018, 11:09:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
  Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Pathmark?!  (Read 33876 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
d_fife
Guest
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 05:46:33 PM »

here is the 60,000 sf pathmark in brooklyn in atlantic cneter on atlantic ave

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1141429324&subNum=12213000087
Logged
d_fife
Guest
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 07:59:24 PM »

here is pathmark in nanuet ny in the rockland center

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1142042246&subNum=12208000058
Logged
storehistoryguy
Guest
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2006, 09:29:44 AM »

Warminster Pa. Pathmark. Opened about 1967. Closed 2006. This is during there closing in January 2006. Additions were put on the building at two different times. It now sits abandon without the cars and signs.
Logged
storehistoryguy
Guest
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2006, 09:30:26 AM »

Another view.
Logged
store215
Ames 4 Lyfer!
********

Karma: 3
Offline Offline

Posts: 967


« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2006, 11:18:43 AM »

Actually, it closed up by the end of January. I met some people that used to work there that all told me the store was pretty disgusting--at least the back parts. I doubt the space will ever house another supermarket though due to all the competition in the area. Nice pics!
Logged
storehistoryguy
Guest
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »

It will probebly end up rotting there or be knocked down. The Staples next door to the left moved and now its just barren over there. I go to the diner across from there and jus look at the closed Pathmark while I eat. Its been open since I was born and now its closed. I'll have to get some pictures of it closed. The signs are gone and its dark inside. Note: My old next door neighbor was assisstant manager at the Pathmark since 1975. He was transferred to another Pathmark.
Logged
store215
Ames 4 Lyfer!
********

Karma: 3
Offline Offline

Posts: 967


« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2006, 02:28:22 PM »

Are you sure the last addition was in 1991? I was sure it was 1997 because I remember going in there and everything was torn apart and most of the ceiling was exposed with temporary lights and things everywhere. I think thats when the short-lived bank branch was added. Anyway, that whole area is just empty, from the old Rite Aid and the Office Max..

I wouldn't suprised if the Petco goes out soon as well because that store is just plain nasty and never busy. And now with Wegmans and a Super Wal-Mart, good luck in getting another grocery or similar business to take a chance.

But what else could even open in the area? We have everything pretty much nearby--and many companies arent expanding in this kind of economy. btw, i love that diner!
Logged
storehistoryguy
Guest
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »

Quote
Originally posted by MBZ321
Are you sure the last addition was in 1991? I was sure it was 1997 because I remember going in there and everything was torn apart and most of the ceiling was exposed with temporary lights and things everywhere. I think thats when the short-lived bank branch was added. Anyway, that whole area is just empty, from the old Rite Aid and the Office Max..

I wouldn't suprised if the Petco goes out soon as well because that store is just plain nasty and never busy. And now with Wegmans and a Super Wal-Mart, good luck in getting another grocery or similar business to take a chance.

But what else could even open in the area? We have everything pretty much nearby--and many companies arent expanding in this kind of economy. btw, i love that diner!


Maybe it was 1997. I remember it was in the nineties but I just can't remember the exact year. Sometime around when they were expanding the Acme in the Village Mall in Horsham, but that was in 1994. Yes, the diner is good. Perkins reminds me of Denny's. I miss them. That PetCo was formely a Genuardi's that opened in the 60's. I wish it were still there. I really liked it. Genuardi's went downhill when Safeway bought them. angry The Pathmark is a pretty big building and has a big parking lot. I just don't know what will happen to it.
Logged
ameskmart1
Ames-Elite!
********

Karma: 1
Offline Offline

Posts: 626


WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »

A&P in talks to acquire Pathmark
http://www.cnbc.com/id/17368174
Logged

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft
Marc82
Guest
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2007, 05:43:06 AM »

Quote
Originally posted by ameskmart1
A&P in talks to acquire Pathmark
http://www.cnbc.com/id/17368174


I say in 2 years kiss both A&P and Pathmark goodbye.
Logged
XISMZERO
Sub-Administrators
Expert Member
*****

Karma: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 1639


« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2007, 04:08:36 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by Marc82
Quote
Originally posted by ameskmart1
A&P in talks to acquire Pathmark
http://www.cnbc.com/id/17368174


I say in 2 years kiss both A&P and Pathmark goodbye.


Since when was A&P in shape to acquire anybody? And for that matter, there are still A&Ps?! I think there's like one left who calls itself A&P around Connecticut. Last one I visited in past is now a Highland Park Market in Farmington... my has *that* plaza changed...
Logged

All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr
store215
Ames 4 Lyfer!
********

Karma: 3
Offline Offline

Posts: 967


« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2007, 09:30:22 PM »

A&P is in better shape than it was, but I think acquiring Pathmark will only set them back. Pathmark is a money-loser, and was in bankruptcy a few years back. Their stores are going to need lots of work to modernize them up to the newest A&P standards, plus there is lots of overlap in NJ where both chains are based out of.
Logged
fa152
Guest
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2007, 11:55:25 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by MBZ321
A&P is in better shape than it was, but I think acquiring Pathmark will only set them back. Pathmark is a money-loser, and was in bankruptcy a few years back. Their stores are going to need lots of work to modernize them up to the newest A&P standards, plus there is lots of overlap in NJ where both chains are based out of.


Out on Long Island, A&P attempts to operate Waldbaum's.  Don't get me wrong... there are a Text of really nice stores, but the majority are run down, tired, understaffed stores.  Most Waldbaum's you go into are not busy.. EVER.  They are way overpriced... and if you go to a store that has self-checkouts then you can count on only 1 or 2 full service registers being open and waiting on line for 10-20 minutes to buy like 2 things.

It seems like Pathmark has been around forever at the same locations... FOREVER.  There aren't so many Pathmarks on LI as there used to be.  They've freshened them up quite a bit and have improved perishables (something they really need to do.. and keep doing, because their meat depts. are gross).  They are all large & updated stores and unlike Waldbaum's, people shop there.... and not just for sale items.  If this acquistion did go through, it would only make sense for A&P to keep the PM locations and dump the Waldbaum stores in those areas.  But, I do not see A&P succeeding integrating the stores.... all banners A&P runs, most follow the same marketing styles, same advertising styles, same lousy service, and if you walked into a Super Fresh or an A&P or a Waldbaum's, if it wasn't for the name on the building you probably would not even be able to tell which store was which.  If they decide to keep the PM name and do that, they're history.  PM is very aggressive with there ads and are known for them.. Waldbaums is definately not.

Right now on LI.. the clear supermarket leader is definately Stop & Shop, although they're not as good as they used to be.

And as for King Kullen.. I don't understand why that company even bothers keep 75% of there stores open, because they're ghost towns.

That was a lot of continuous rambling... Sorry about that :)
Logged
XISMZERO
Sub-Administrators
Expert Member
*****

Karma: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 1639


« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2007, 10:48:23 AM »

Quote
Originally posted by fa152
Quote
Originally posted by MBZ321
A&P is in better shape than it was, but I think acquiring Pathmark will only set them back. Pathmark is a money-loser, and was in bankruptcy a few years back. Their stores are going to need lots of work to modernize them up to the newest A&P standards, plus there is lots of overlap in NJ where both chains are based out of.


Out on Long Island, A&P attempts to operate Waldbaum's.  Don't get me wrong... there are a Text of really nice stores, but the majority are run down, tired, understaffed stores.  Most Waldbaum's you go into are not busy.. EVER.  They are way overpriced... and if you go to a store that has self-checkouts then you can count on only 1 or 2 full service registers being open and waiting on line for 10-20 minutes to buy like 2 things.

It seems like Pathmark has been around forever at the same locations... FOREVER.  There aren't so many Pathmarks on LI as there used to be.  They've freshened them up quite a bit and have improved perishables (something they really need to do.. and keep doing, because their meat depts. are gross).  They are all large & updated stores and unlike Waldbaum's, people shop there.... and not just for sale items.  If this acquistion did go through, it would only make sense for A&P to keep the PM locations and dump the Waldbaum stores in those areas.  But, I do not see A&P succeeding integrating the stores.... all banners A&P runs, most follow the same marketing styles, same advertising styles, same lousy service, and if you walked into a Super Fresh or an A&P or a Waldbaum's, if it wasn't for the name on the building you probably would not even be able to tell which store was which.  If they decide to keep the PM name and do that, they're history.  PM is very aggressive with there ads and are known for them.. Waldbaums is definately not.

Right now on LI.. the clear supermarket leader is definately Stop & Shop, although they're not as good as they used to be.

And as for King Kullen.. I don't understand why that company even bothers keep 75% of there stores open, because they're ghost towns.

That was a lot of continuous rambling... Sorry about that :)


Stop & Shop is the leader of the Northeast and it's no mystery why. Their newest store models are top-notch, they feel vital, well-stocked, decent prices - personally my favorite supermarket and quality produce as well. I don't think any market has the clout to compete with S&S; they're like the Wal-Mart of supermarkets. The closest would be Price Chopper; who makes up for having a decent bakery department as well as competitive prices. They will continue to expand as it has been these past few years.

I hear Wegman's is a quality supermarket which satisfies lots of New Yorkers, otherwise its Pathmark (reportedly too high priced), King Kullen, Price Chopper.

Personally, I believe Market Basket (Mass and New Hampshire-centric) are the worst band of supermarket chains. They're dingy, outdated, often dirty, and their bakery is a joke. They will soon be taken by S&S in those respective areas.
Logged

All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr
Marc82
Guest
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2007, 05:56:18 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by XISMZERO
Since when was A&P in shape to acquire anybody? And for that matter, there are still A&Ps?! I think there's like one left who calls itself A&P around Connecticut. Last one I visited in past is now a Highland Park Market in Farmington... my has *that* plaza changed...


Nick there are a few A&Ps in Connecticut known as A&P Superfood Mart. For some stupid reason they rebranded Super Foodmart A&P Super Foodmart Several years ago. There are 12, tough I believe some are technically still known as Waldbaums. http://superfoodmartne.com/our_locations.asp?display=all&return_location=

They have regular A&P's in New York State and New Jersey.
Logged
ameskmart1
Ames-Elite!
********

Karma: 1
Offline Offline

Posts: 626


WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2007, 04:04:50 PM »

A&P has agreed to buy Pathmark
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-03-05-ap-pathmark-deal_N.htm
Logged

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft
Caldor1999
Expert Member
*********

Karma: 1
Offline Offline

Posts: 4076


WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by ameskmart1
A&P has agreed to buy Pathmark
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-03-05-ap-pathmark-deal_N.htm



i know i saw it on the news im suprised pathmark dident go out there stores are kocated in such dirty and ghetto weiras were as a&p isent really and over the past 10 years a&p has really done a good job to chages there stores and i really think that there a good compedtor with stop and shop and shop rite
Logged

Caldor Forever!


Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory
U-save
Guest
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by Anonymous
Well, they make alot of money, but its not a store you would want to purchase perishables at.  They are very strong in non perishable foods, and dairy and frozen... but their deli, bakery, seafood, and meat departments are absolutely terrible.  They seem to be hurting now that Stop & Shop is expanding overnight on LI, people are really starting to take to Stop & Shop now.  Pathmark's future is looking bleak.  The only parts they definately will survive is the NY metro areas.  They have excellent presence there.  Their latest store decor looks much more modern than the red, orange, tan and white decor in most stores.  I've been in their Bethpage store a few times, just opened early mid last year, and it is far more modern than the other Pathmarks.  If they don't do something sonner or later about their perishable depts. ESPECIALLY the ones near King Kullen stores and Stop & Shop, they will continue to suffer.  Even their latest sales figures are down...



I must disagree with you on 2 ends one factual and another
opinional

first my opine. Pathmark is'nt THAT bad on Bakery.  I like their donuts. and there are a lot of folks i know who'd disagree with you on their deli. (even though they don't sell Boar's Head)

Second of all, Pathmark has not been profitable in recent years, the company has just begun to turn things around. prompting A+P 's recent puchase. they need a big overhaul and fresh thinking. Their stores always had a boxy, uniform format  and though many think this has been a selling point, it can't fly any longer in today's market. In my area (Greater Trenton NJ/ Suburban PA) Pathmark once had four LARGE super stores- Ewing NJ, Hamilton NJ,Princeton NJ, and Fairless Hils PA now only the Fairless Hills superstore has survived. (the Princeton one is now Whole Foods and the others are now vacant).  to quote an old slogan of theirs' A+P needs to take a "fresh look" at Pathmark and breathe some  new life into this chain.
Logged
U-save
Guest
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2007, 01:33:50 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by storehistoryguy
Quote
Originally posted by BillyGr
Just as a side note - the first Pathmarks were originally
Shop-Rite stores - the owners (as part of the co-op that runs ShopRite) decided to leave the co-op and therefore couldn't use the ShopRite name any longer - this is when PathMark was born.


So they were originally Shop Rites? Cool! Never knew that. Are there some Pathmark locations that used to be Shop Rites? Theres none of those in my area.


The original home of my Fairless Hills (Penna.) Pathmark(one of the original Pathmarks) was once a Shop Rite owned by PTK's predecessor company General Supermarkets (which was once the largest Shop Rite franchisor) It was remodeled and expanded sometime in the late 70's-early 80's to 46,000 square feet and added a bakery and pharmacy. It also had a Pathmark Gas station. In the 70's or 80's Pathmark sold its' gas stations to Getty . Getty became Lukoil sometime around 2001 and the fairless hills station is now  a full service Lukoil.
The Pathmark moved in 1994 to a former Channel Home Center at the other end of the plaza. The when they took off the old PTK sign, it revealed some of the old garish yellow "Shop Rite" sign with all letters but the red "O" "P' "R"
and "I" painted over. Part of the space was later  used as a temporary home for Eckerd Drugs while  they built a new megastore infront of  the  old supermarket space. Today the site remains vacant.
Logged
U-save
Guest
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by MBZ321
My local pathmark (Warminster, PA) is closing forever next week...not suprised at all. Another one in Freehold, NJ is also closing.

I see this space sitting empty for a long time sadly. (Pathmark owns the building so it's unlikely they would lease/sell it to another grocery store.)

Article
-----------------
Warminster Pathmark closing

By JODI SPIEGEL ARTHUR
The Intelligencer

Shoppers who frequent the Pathmark store in Warminster soon will have to find another place to buy their groceries and fill their prescriptions.

The store at 700 York Road is closing on Jan. 27 because it is ?underperforming,? said Harvey Gutman, senior vice president of retail development for Pathmark Stores Inc.

?It's been there a long time, and we hated to leave the community,? Gutman said. ?It was a financial decision and had to be made. ... It was not made lightly. The store's been underperforming for quite a while.?

Gutman declined to be specific about the numbers.

The store is only one of a number of commercial vacancies near the intersection of York and Street roads in Warminster.

According to township zoning officer Tom Thern, in the Center Point Place shopping center alone, the former Burlington Coat Factory, Thrift Drug and a former I Goldberg that later became a furniture store are all empty. In the Town Center, adjacent to the freestanding 55,000-square-foot Pathmark, the former Office Max is vacant, and there are rumors that other stores might soon be empty as well.

On the other hand, Rite Aid is building a new store across the street, on the site of the former Drug Emporium, and a new Staples is being built nearby in Warrington.

Warminster resident Ann Fleming said she sees a lot of elderly people walking to Pathmark through an adjacent neighborhood for groceries and prescriptions.

?There's a lady who must be close to 90; she walks every day,? Fleming said. ?I think it's going to be a hardship for a lot of people.?
Adblock

Fleming said she too will miss the store where she has shopped since it opened in October 1970. ?Everyone there is so friendly,? she said of the employees. ?If I get depressed, I go over there to shop,? she said with a laugh.

Gutman said the store is one of two the company is closing this month because of underperformance. The other closing store is in Freehold, N.J. One new store was opened in Edison, N.J., last month, bringing the total number of Pathmark Stores in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware to 143. The two closures will reduce that number to 141.

Unionized employees will be offered the opportunity to work at other Pathmark stores, and the store will either be leased or sold, Gutman said. ?We own the space, and we will be looking to find a new tenant (or owner).?

John Standley, Pathmark's chief executive officer, said in November that the company continually reevaluates stores and performance.

?We continue to evaluate and challenge all elements of our business to improve operating performance,? Sandley said.

During the first nine months of fiscal 2005, which ends on Jan. 28, Pathmark opened one new store, closed two stores and renovated six. The new store was a replacement for one of the stores that closed.

Gutman said the decision to close the Warminster store this month was made shortly before it was announced at the store on Friday.



DISCLAIMER
(this is not speculation or fact-only my personal opine)
If there's none nearby. I sense that that whole center might be demolished and turned into either a Walmart or Target. With all that empty space, why leave it hanging.
Logged
U-save
Guest
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by storehistoryguy
Quote
Originally posted by BillyGr
Just as a side note - the first Pathmarks were originally
Shop-Rite stores - the owners (as part of the co-op that runs ShopRite) decided to leave the co-op and therefore couldn't use the ShopRite name any longer - this is when PathMark was born.


So they were originally Shop Rites? Cool! Never knew that. Are there some Pathmark locations that used to be Shop Rites? Theres none of those in my area.


The original home of my Fairless Hills (Penna.) Pathmark(one of the original Pathmarks) was once a Shop Rite owned by PTK's predecessor company General Supermarkets (which was once the largest Shop Rite franchisor) It was remodeled and expanded sometime in the late 70's-early 80's to 46,000 square feet and added a bakery and pharmacy. It also had a Pathmark Gas station. In the 70's or 80's Pathmark sold its' gas stations to Getty . Getty became Lukoil sometime around 2001 and the fairless hills station is now  a full service Lukoil.
The Pathmark moved in 1994 to a former Channel Home Center at the other end of the plaza. The when they took off the old PTK sign, it revealed some of the old garish yellow "Shop Rite" sign with all letters but the red "O" "P' "R"
and "I" painted over. Part of the space was later  used as a temporary home for Eckerd Drugs while  they built a new megastore infront of  the  old supermarket space. Today the site remains vacant.
Logged
fa152
Guest
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2007, 10:59:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIrNPcknpk
Logged
GothicPrincess
Sr. Member
*****

Karma: 4
Offline Offline

Posts: 293


WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2007, 07:19:33 AM »

I used to work in Pathmark in Weehawken, NJ. You had to go into a mall to get in there. The whole front of the store, the register area looked out into the hallway of the mall. They had regular lanes, and bag your own, which I was usually on those registers. I worked there about 2 months before I moved to Pennsylvania. I liked working there. You had to walk a whole 10 feet from your register to go smoke a cigarette. They still allowed smoking inside the mall then. This was summer of 98. It wasn't dirty, was a great place, nice and clean, and HUGE. Not sure if it's still there though. It's where George Clooney crashed his motorcycle last month.
Logged

Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!
BillyGr
Expert Member
*********

Karma: 8
Offline Offline

Posts: 1236


WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:35 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by GothicPrincess
I used to work in Pathmark in Weehawken, NJ. You had to go into a mall to get in there. The whole front of the store, the register area looked out into the hallway of the mall. They had regular lanes, and bag your own, which I was usually on those registers. I worked there about 2 months before I moved to Pennsylvania. I liked working there. You had to walk a whole 10 feet from your register to go smoke a cigarette. They still allowed smoking inside the mall then. This was summer of 98. It wasn't dirty, was a great place, nice and clean, and HUGE. Not sure if it's still there though. It's where George Clooney crashed his motorcycle last month.


There is a similar set up at the Pathmark in Avenel, NJ (Woodbridge area - on Rt 35) - they have several smaller stores (a $ store, pizza place and 2 or 3 others) along a hallway after you enter the front doors.  Eventually, at the back, the hall curves left and there's the Pathmark checkouts.

Wonder if this was something new they tried at one point, or maybe a small chain they took over in the past?
Logged
GothicPrincess
Sr. Member
*****

Karma: 4
Offline Offline

Posts: 293


WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2007, 10:14:10 PM »

I'm not sure. I wasn't big into retail history until recently...it's an interesting concept though. We didn't have much threat of theft there, being we looked out into the mall, there was a dollar store, a lawyer's office, and a doctor...
Logged

Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!
MikeRa
Ames 4 Lyfer!
********

Karma: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 760


« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by U-save
Quote
Originally posted by storehistoryguy
Quote
Originally posted by BillyGr
Just as a side note - the first Pathmarks were originally
Shop-Rite stores - the owners (as part of the co-op that runs ShopRite) decided to leave the co-op and therefore couldn't use the ShopRite name any longer - this is when PathMark was born.


So they were originally Shop Rites? Cool! Never knew that. Are there some Pathmark locations that used to be Shop Rites? Theres none of those in my area.


The original home of my Fairless Hills (Penna.) Pathmark(one of the original Pathmarks) was once a Shop Rite owned by PTK's predecessor company General Supermarkets (which was once the largest Shop Rite franchisor) It was remodeled and expanded sometime in the late 70's-early 80's to 46,000 square feet and added a bakery and pharmacy. It also had a Pathmark Gas station. In the 70's or 80's Pathmark sold its' gas stations to Getty . Getty became Lukoil sometime around 2001 and the fairless hills station is now  a full service Lukoil.
The Pathmark moved in 1994 to a former Channel Home Center at the other end of the plaza. The when they took off the old PTK sign, it revealed some of the old garish yellow "Shop Rite" sign with all letters but the red "O" "P' "R"
and "I" painted over. Part of the space was later  used as a temporary home for Eckerd Drugs while  they built a new megastore infront of  the  old supermarket space. Today the site remains vacant.

Another former Pathmark that was also a Shop Rite was located at Bustelton Avenue and Bleigh Street, in Philadelphia, Pa.  This Shop Rite/Pathmark closed in 1984 and was sub-divided by Pep Boys (a auto retailer) and Budco Theatres Inc. into a Pep Boys/Budco Orleans Theatre auditorium #5 to 8. (The original #1 to 4 were still in the original William Goldman's Orleans Theatre building).

On 9/3/2007, AMC Theatres (who acquired Budco in 1987), closed the Orleans 8 Theatre.  The AMC/Budco/Goldman's Orleans Theatre #1 to 4 building has been demolished, and eventually the Pep Boys/Orleans #5 to 8 (former Pathmark) building will be demolished and replaced by a Target.:huh:
Logged

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"
jt1985
Guest
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »

Logged
MikeRa
Ames 4 Lyfer!
********

Karma: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 760


« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »

What I just read, the first of the new Pathmark "Price Impact" store opened.  It it under the "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" name.

Take it for A&P to find a way to re-use the "Sav-A-Center" with Pathmark a year and a half after leaving the New Orleans market.
Logged

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"
mjb1124
Guest
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2008, 10:56:28 PM »

The Edison store has almost completed its conversion to a Pathmark Sav-A-Center.  The outdoor signage went up yesterday, and the renovation of the inside of the store is mostly done.  It's definitely a much-needed freshening up of the store's look, and the emphasis on value should work well for the chain.
Logged
MikeRa
Ames 4 Lyfer!
********

Karma: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 760


« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »

Pathmark will have 24 more "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" stores, all in the Philadelphia area, by converting all 16 "Pathmark Super Center" stores and 8 of the "Super Fresh Super Store", "Superfresh" and "Super Fresh Food Market" to the "Pathmark Sav-A-Center" name. :yup:

Which 8 Superfresh locations will be switched has yet to be determined, but all of the Superfresh stores in DE, DC, MD and NJ will still be "Superfresh":huh:
Logged

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
 
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal