Super Fresh Super Store/Pathmark Sav-A-Center

Started by storehistoryguy, July 05, 2005, 03:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseguy93
A former Super Fresh now a  Shop N Bag
Located in Philadelphia, PA on Frankford Ave. &
Morrell Ave.
This former Super Fresh, later Shop N' Bag, has long since been demolished.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Today is the last day the Super Fresh Super Store on Cottman Avenue.  After it closes at the end of today, it will reopen tomorrow (9/7/2008) as Pathmark Sav-A-Center

Joeg

So that's why there was no ad on their web site for that store!! Hope the competion is ready, because the Sav-a-Center sales have been very strong in recent re-conversions.

Joeg

I went to Pathmark's web site to look up this stores ad (Cottman Ave) and did not see it listed there.  do you have a copy of this ad??

MikeRa

Neither the Pathmark and Superfresh websites have the Grand opening ads for the Pathmark Sav-a-Center at 2101-41 Cottman Avenue.  But, if you look under "News And Events" on the Pathmark site, for Produce Pete's store appearance, you will see the 2101-49 Cottman Avenue location scheduled for September 12.

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseguy93
A former Super Fresh Supermarket closed down in 1999.
Hey, I think I saw the same one, and got pictures too!
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

videogamer75

this is the super fresh in Hammonton, NJ. built in 1995.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
A&P has used, in what I would call 90's Colonial style, as compared to the 90's Steel style, for many of their current Superfresh and A&P Fresh that opened in the 1990's.

The Pathmark Sav-A-Center on the 2100 block of Cottman Avenue (former Superfresh) has the 90's Steel design.

videogamer75

and here is the old former super fresh in Hammonton, NJ. Built sometime in the early 1980's and closed in 1995 when they built the new super fresh super store I have pictured above. it then became a tractor supply company (then called farm country) store, then in 2005 it became a goodwill store and a canal's discount liquor mart.

Joeg

What Super Fresh store is the next one to be converted to the Pathmark Save a Center format??

videogamer75

and here is the old former super fresh in Hammonton, NJ. Built sometime in the early 1980's and closed in 1995 when they built the new super fresh super store I have pictured above. it then became a tractor supply company (then called farm country) store, then in 2005 it became a goodwill store and a canal's discount liquor mart.

One more thing: This is the third out of four stores A&P has had in hammonton. I learned this from some guy on flickr. First they were in a small building downtown on main street. then they moved into a classic A&P colonial building (now a family dollar and a hometown video (area chain of video stores with 4 locations.) then, they moved into the building that is now canals and goodwill as a super fresh, the in 1995 they built and moved into a new super fresh super store next to a new walmart.

AmesNewington

It seems that this store exterior is about identical to the Berlin CT A&P Super Foodmart, which opened in 1996, except the signage is different.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
What Super Fresh store is the next one to be converted to the Pathmark Save a Center format??
The next Super Fresh Super Store that is scheduled to become a Pathmark Sav-A-Center is the Franklin Mills Super Fresh.  It will be the day after the Pathmark Super Center on Knights & Dunks Ferry Road, in Bensalem, closes permanently.

Mobil

In the South, many (newer!) SuperFresh stores were sold to Kroger.

MikeRa

The Superfresh on Critterden Street in Philadelphia was the lasted to become a Pathmark Sav-A-Center, as of this past Friday, 10/3/2008.  This location originally opened as a A&P Supermarket in the 1970's (It was not a Centennial/colonial design)

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
The Superfresh on Critterden Street in Philadelphia was the lasted to become a Pathmark Sav-A-Center, as of this past Friday, 10/3/2008.  This location originally opened as a A&P Supermarket in the 1970's (It was not a Centennial/colonial design)

If it opened in the 70's, it would not have been a Centennial store. Those stores were built from 1959 to 1970.

There is a former SuperFresh near me, vacant since early 2002, which is rumored to become a T.J. Maxx. It is a block away from a former Acme with the peaked roof which closed in 2005 and is now Save-a-Lot.

Mobil

The SuperFresh in Salisbury, MD, opened in 1997 and closed in 2001. It became Giant which closed in October 2006.

videogamer75

Here's an old superfresh basket that I found at the hammonton, nj store.

Mobil

Here's an old superfresh basket that I found at the hammonton, nj store.

reminds me of Eckerd

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
This is the Super Fresh in Huntington Valley, Pa. that opened in the early 90's. I was there on the first day it opened. It has never been remodeled.

http://www.superfreshfood.com/index.asp
This superfresh location is now a Pathmark Sav-a-Center store.

store215

Superfresh is closing down 3 stores in PA:
-Lansdale
-Doylestown
-Pottstown
(there is also one closing in Maryland).

The lansdale store was previously a family-owned Clemens Market, but they sold out in 2006 to both Giant and A&P. It was a really old store and SuperFresh didn't really remodel it. There was once an Ames next to this store as well, but it became an ACE and Big Lots sometime after 2004.

The Doylestown store doesn't surprise me..it's in a dead, and very hidden shopping center. It was recently remodeled, but there are too many other, and cheaper, markets in the area (mainly Wegmans). Doylestown has a large Acme, Genuardi's, and on the lower end, Redner's.

The Pottstown store looks really old and I'm guessing it hasn't been remodeled recently. It's also kind of far from A&P's other operations.

Lansdale

Pottstown..opened in 1987.

videogamer75

I really like the new Super Fresh logo. Super Fresh may not be the cheapest supermarket around, but they have an awesome selection that puts Wal-Mart and Shop Rite to shame!

Caldor1999

I really like the new Super Fresh logo. Super Fresh may not be the cheapest supermarket around, but they have an awesome selection that puts Wal-Mart and Shop Rite to shame!  

any super market puts shop rite to shame lol

new logos kinda cool looks kinda European
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
Check out their new store locator with pictures of each store, though some are stock photos.

http://www.superfreshfood.com/pages_aboutUs_SL.asp
Most of those photos dates back to the early 2000's.

nims57

Today is the last day the Super Fresh Super Store on Cottman Avenue.  After it closes at the end of today, it will reopen tomorrow (9/7/2008) as Pathmark Sav-A-Center

Didn't they take time to gut it?

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

Didn't they take time to gut it?
No, they kept the store, as well as the Franklin Mills Super Fresh Super Store, open while converting it from Superfresh to Pathmark Sav-A-Center.

So, at one point, you had Pathmark design on the walls with Superfresh/Waldbaum's/A&P Fresh design on the walls as well.

MikeRa

The newspaper ads has all the Pathmark stores now as "Pathmark Sav-a-Center"

EddieJ1984

I noticed that the U-Scan registers just say SAV-A-CENTER on the, also the receipts just say SAV-A-CENTER.

Speaking of which, it annoys me when people dont pronounce it "SAVE A CENTER" instead they think its like SAAV A CENTER lol
the u-scan says save-a-center as well as the people in the store lol.

katnapped

Quote from: MBZ321 on February 05, 2009, 08:26:11 PM
Superfresh is closing down 3 stores in PA:

The Pottstown store looks really old and I'm guessing it hasn't been remodeled recently. It's also kind of far from A&P's other operations.

Pottstown..opened in 1987.

Water under the bridge as that store is now LONG gone, but that one was a Pathmark originally, AFAIK.

DerangedHermit

I was in Pathmark today, and I saw that a lot of the Smart Price brand stuff was now Food Basics and that America's Choice had their own gum - "Superfresh Gum".

LOL.