Super Fresh Super Store/Pathmark Sav-A-Center

Started by storehistoryguy, July 05, 2005, 03:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss! This is my Super Fresh. It was originally an A&P until sometime in the late 80's. Then it was converted into a Super Fresh. There is still alot of rememberance of the A&P there. There are still the coffee grinders, still in use, at the end of the bagging area. All they did to remotel was paint Super Fresh all over the walls and get new flooring. Thats it!

Caldor1999

lol looks just like my A&P witch is called A&P Super Fresh there owned by the same company i guess heh
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
lol looks just like my A&P witch is called A&P Super Fresh there owned by the same company i guess heh

Super Fresh bought out A&P in the early 90's. The Pennsylvania area A&Ps turned into Super Freshs. I know a whole lot of former A&Ps.

store215

Here is a funny looking Super Fresh commerical from 1989.
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=superfreshaugust1989

I am suprised Super Fresh is still around in this area. Their stores are in odd locations and they are not competitive on price compared to stores like Giant and Shop Rite. They will close stores that have been open for a year, but leave stores from the 80's untouched.

Here is a new logo they are starting to use (so far this logo is only being used at one store)

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Super Fresh bought out A&P in the early 90's. The Pennsylvania area A&Ps turned into Super Freshs. I know a whole lot of former A&Ps.

Actually, A&P was/is always A&P. They just dropped the A&P name from the stores and rebranded them all as "Super Fresh".

store215

Pic of a SuperFresh truck with the Late 80's to mid 90's logo.

A closed Super Fresh store in Virginia

An odd looking store...many of their mid-80's stores have/had this look to them.

storehistoryguy

I'm part of the Super Fresh Club. I still have the same card since 1990. I still use it.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Super Fresh opened a brand new store in a brand new shopping center in Lansdale Pa. in 1998. It looked simular to the one above. In 1999, hurricane Floyd came and flooded out the store. Super Fresh closed the store and it has been sitting like that since. Why didn't they just repair the damages.

storehistoryguy

Heres is a Super Fresh sign with there old slogan.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

And the one after that and the one after this one is "I Love This Store!"

storehistoryguy

Which is your favorite slogan for Super Fresh?

store215

Storehistoryguy, since you are so familiar with Lansdale, I know there is a Redner's that opened up in that area not too long ago. Was this store new construction or did it open up in something else?

I haven't been in Lansdale in about 5 years...last time I was up there the Ames was open and a Clemens and Drug Emporium. I remember the empty Super Fresh and a Closed Acme (at least the building looked like an Acme)

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Storehistoryguy, since you are so familiar with Lansdale, I know there is a Redner's that opened up in that area not too long ago. Was this store new construction or did it open up in something else?

I haven't been in Lansdale in about 5 years...last time I was up there the Ames was open and a Clemens and Drug Emporium. I remember the empty Super Fresh and a Closed Acme (at least the building looked like an Acme)

The Redner's Warehouse Market knocked down the old Acme and built there store in it's place. The Ames is now a Big Lots. The Clemens is still there, but the Drug Emporium is empty. The Super Fresh was taken over by some Japanese supermarket.

storehistoryguy

This is the Super Fresh in Huntington Valley, Pa. that opened in the early 90's. I was there on the first day it opened. It has never been remodeled.

http://www.superfreshfood.com/index.asp

store215

Superfresh in Doylestown, PA

Again, a very small store in one of the oddest layed out shopping centers I have ever seen (there are a lot of empty stores). Again, it competes with a Nearby Genuardi's, Acme and Redner's.

store215

This is the Super Fresh in Huntington Valley, Pa. that opened in the early 90's. I was there on the first day it opened. It has never been remodeled.

http://www.superfreshfood.com/index.asp

I just past this store today and the signs have been replaced with the new logo (and the Super Store thing also disappeared). So it looks like they plan on rolling this out across all their stores soon...

store215

Superfresh trailer. I believe the slogan on the truck is the first one they used after they switched from A&P to the SuperFresh name.

store215

Discuss! This is my Super Fresh. It was originally an A&P until sometime in the late 80's. Then it was converted into a Super Fresh. There is still alot of rememberance of the A&P there. There are still the coffee grinders, still in use, at the end of the bagging area. All they did to remotel was paint Super Fresh all over the walls and get new flooring. Thats it!

I've seen that store before. Do you know if the (former) Gateway store in that shopping center was a Channel hardware beforehand? I seem to remember one being there but I was real young then...(and the concrete floor inside the old Gateway store always looked like it was older than the store itself)

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

I've seen that store before. Do you know if the (former) Gateway store in that shopping center was a Channel hardware beforehand? I seem to remember one being there but I was real young then...(and the concrete floor inside the old Gateway store always looked like it was older than the store itself)

Yes, but the Channel wasn't in the Gateway it was in the video store.

storehistoryguy

The former Super Fresh in Bensalem Pa. I remember in shut down in the mid-90's.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html

AmesNewington

That Naugatuck store is a part of A&P Super Foodmart. Super Fresh doesn't operate in CT.

mjb1124

From what I've seen, in recent years, Super Fresh has been using the same slogans as A&P, and their newer stores have the same look inside and out.  I also used my A&P Bonus Savings card at one of their "scan your own items" lines and the machine accepted it.  I really have to wonder why they don't just call the stores A&P, as that has more name recognition.

store215

They were called A&P until the mid-80's, but there was some Union trouble which forced them to switch to the Super Fresh banner. They aren't operated any different than any of other A&P's stores.

A&P let Super Fresh suffer throughout the 90's, building new stores, but most were unsuccessful and closed within a few years. Now, they seem to be rebuilding the whole chain with much more modern stores, a new logo, and lower prices.

SuperFresh ditched the "Bonus Savings" card and introduced a new "ClubFresh" card, although I suspect the old ones still work. I have an old card from around 1992..i wonder if it's still good.

mjb1124

So the name change was for legal reasons? Interesting.  

And yeah, as I said before, my A&P Bonus Savings card works (it's a more recent one), so I'm guessing it was pretty much just a name change.

MikeRa

The former Super Fresh in Bensalem Pa. I remember in shut down in the mid-90's.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html
This locations opened in the 1970's as a A&P.  It closed when the Franklin Mills Super Fresh Super Store opened.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

wiseguy93

A former Super Fresh Supermarket closed down in 1999.

wiseguy93

A former Super Fresh now a  Shop N Bag
Located in Philadelphia, PA on Frankford Ave. &
Morrell Ave.