Main Menu

Eckerd

Started by storehistoryguy, July 05, 2005, 01:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss.

dooneyt63

Eckerd, after being sold to Jean Coutu and CVS, has exited its heritage market in Florida.  The modern chain store most identify with the Eckerd name had its start with Jack Eckerd's Florida chain, though other members of the Eckerd family controlled other Eckerd operations before they were consolidated into one company.  It was long the only chain drugstore in many Southern towns.  Walgreens has remained in Florida in selected markets for decades, but they have only entered others in the last few years.  They also exited a number of Florida cities at the same time they closed many of their company stores nationwide.  Many of their former Southern stores became Eckerd locations.  Eckerd was definitely synonymous with drugstore in Florida.  Eckerd had sort of lost its way long before JC Penney bought it, even though many blame its woes on JC Penney.  Indeed, I believe it helped bring the former Thrift and Treasury JC Penney chains down.  The rebadging to Eckerd was not the best idea; the Treasury stores had a lot more appeal than most Eckerd stores.  In the early days, when Eckerd often located in Florida strips adjacent to Publix supermarkets, the stores were much like a scaled-down Walgreens, with little coffee shops in alcoves at the side of the stores.  Though they built many nice new locations, including the ubiquitous corner stores, they did not update their operating methods and continued to have serious issues with price competitiveness and sale item availability.  What could have been a marvelous synthesis between Eckerd and JC Penney with in-Eckerd store catalog desks in areas remote from the JC Penney stores was largely squandered.  The possiiblity of using the JC Penney charge was the only "plus" touted by the company after the initial fanfare.  Also, JC Penney employees received their employee discounts at Eckerd.  A sad story for a once-great name.  Hopefully, Jean Coutu will be a good steward of the name and trademarks.  I worry, though, as Jean Coutu is rebadging its Brooks Pharmacy stores as Eckerd.  Shades of JC Penney's decision-making.

storehistoryguy

And Eckerd took ove Thrift Drug. I miss Thrift Drug. Thats another place I worked at. I like Eckerd too though. Thats where I get my perscription. Been going there since Thrift Drug.

I'm sure alot of people will see that little sign. :insane:

store215

My family would always shop at Thrift Drug, but then when the Eckerd change came around in 1997, prices shot up and stores were starting to look (and most still are) dirty, cramped, and out of date. We then migrated over to Drug Emporium and later Walgreens. I don't know how Eckerd is still around with so many old stores in old strip centers. (I can only think of one Eckerd store that is free standing that is remotely close to where I live)

storehistoryguy

My uncle has been managing an Eckerd since 1998.

shakethis1234

JC Penney Bought Fays Drugs change the name to Eckerd

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
JC Penney Bought Fays Drugs change the name to Eckerd

Back in 1996, Eckerd bought out Thrift Drug. Since when did JC Penney own Eckerd? :huh:

store215

I think JC Penney bought Eckerd (already a strong chain in their home turf of Florida and other Southern states) around 1996-1997 and then converted the stores they already owned (Thrift Drug) to the Eckerd name. Ironicly, Eckerd no longer operates where they started in the South (former Eckerd stores past Georgia and the midwest stores are now CVS)

truviking05

Yes, it's true--Eckerd is gone in Florida and is now CVS. There was once an Eckerd in this ancient shopping center that had an Uptons and Usave supermarket (it is now being redeveloped; however, the Usave marquis sign from 1997/1998 is still up!) but is now a hardware store. It sat vacant for years, and just the other day I made out a totally vintage "ECKERD DRUGS" labelscar!

XDeSuEhTX

Yeah, I just got back from the beach, and these stores were everywhere... Never heard of them before this though.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

storehistoryguy

Alot of Eckerds have gone out of business in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area, but theres still plenty left.

storehistoryguy

Eckerd Grand Opening!!! :bounce: Most new Eckerds look like this.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

And one with a cool sign. :cool:

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
In memory of...

Thats nice of them remembering the Columbia disaster they won't be forgotten.:hurt::(

On a lighter note anyone see Discoverey's perfect liftoff?:yup:

Notice the bird on top of the Eckerd sign.

will

The Eckerds here all moved out in front to new freestanding buildings with drive through pharmacy. This happened around 1997-1999. The north location went out of business and is still empty and the South one is now CVS. The store was rearranged, the photo lab removed and the bathrooms are now dirtier. In my old town nearby the local Eckerds went out of business from the stripmall several years back and is now a Save-A-Lot. Oddly it has not reopened in a new location.

About summer of 2001 we got our first Walgreens here. It is in a new freestanding location with drive through pharmacy and I love it.

store215

Wow, I wish my area would have some newer Eckerds. Every one here (except 1 that I can think of in Huntington Valley, PA) is old and in a shopping center and was a former Thrift Drug. (Many times, the  plastic shipping "boxes" they use still say Property of Thrift Drug and Co. on It). Walgreens and CVS are really killing them around here and I don't know how or why they are still open.

store215

I wish we would have some newer Eckerds around here. I can only think of one new free standing one (Huntington Valley, PA). All the rest around me are in ancient strip centers and the stores are all "leftovers" from the Thrift Drug Days. (Many of the plastic shipping crates they use still say Property of Thrift Drug and Co. on them). I don't know how/why these stores are still open as CVS, Walgreens, and the many supermarket pharmacies are killing them.

store215

Here is a picture of one of my nearby Eckerds:

its to the left of the Shop 'n bag which is now some crappy tile and carpet place.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Here is a picture of one of my nearby Eckerds:

its to the left of the Shop 'n bag which is now some crappy tile and carpet place.

Thats in Warrington. When is that pic from?

store215

I got it from a realtors website: www.metrocommerical.com

And notice on one of the pages they say the former Warminster Drug Emporium for Lease, but for some reason, they stuck in a picture of an Eckerd store:huh:

Caldor1999

didi XCVS by then out or soemthing cayuse when i worked ther ethere was boxs with the logo on it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

^they (CVS) only bought the southern and western stores. That would be odd if you see things with CVS on it.

store215

Jean Coutu closing 78 more U.S. Eckerd pharmacies as it rebuilds brand
10:24 PM EDT Aug 03
LUANN LASALLE

MONTREAL (CP) - The Jean Coutu Group, North America's fourth-largest drugstore chain, said Wednesday it will close 78 money-losing Eckerd outlets in the United States as it continues to reshape the brand.

"Let's say that they were cash-flow negative," said Michel Coutu, head of the Montreal-based company's U.S. operations. "Let's say they were losing money and we won't suffer from that burden going forward," he said, without providing specific financial details of the coming closures.

The closures were announced during a conference call to discuss Coutu's latest financial results, which included fourth-quarter profit jumping to $46.2 million from a year-earlier 32.6 million US.

The Jean Coutu Group bought 1,549 Eckerd stores in 2004, making it a major drugstore chain in North America.

Coutu said his organization is committed to long-term results for the Eckerd stores and "not for quarterly results," adding, "You do not turn around the Titanic overnight."

More pharmacists have been hired for the Eckerd drugstores with better compensation, he said.

"Our retention rate has been what I would call excellent," he said of Eckerd's pharmacists.

He also noted that Eckerd was a "pioneer" in photography and photo processing and can also process digital photos, a trend the stores can capitalize on. They will also focus on the sale of beauty products.

The remaining Eckerd stores, even though not all have a positive cash flow, have "the opportunity to become very good stores," Coutu said.

The firm has 1,922 Brooks and Eckerd drugstores in the United States.

CEO Francois Coutu said his drugstore chain has made considerable progress during what he called a "transformational year."

"During the fourth quarter, we continued to make good progress and have recently completed the IT integration of Brooks Eckerd Pharmacy.

"We look forward to capturing integration cost savings since we eliminated the dual head office infrastructures during the first quarter of fiscal 2006."

On the Canadian front, he said seven new PJC stores will be opened and 15 relocated in 2006. The company's private PJC label, Personnelle, also will be relaunched this fall.

Revenues for the quarter ended May 28 were up 216 per cent at $2.8 billion US.

Quarterly earnings amounted to 18 cents a share and compared with 14 cents per share a year ago. Analysts on average had forecast earnings of 19 cents a share, excluding one-time items, according to Thomson Financial.

Fourth-quarter Canadian revenue increased by 3.7 per cent, excluding the impact of currency exchange rate fluctuations. U.S. operations generated total revenues of $2.4 billion, an increase of 425 per cent over the previous year's fourth quarter.

For the full year, profit declined to $104.4 million US, or 41 cents a share, from $132.7 million US, or 58 cents per share, in the previous year - held back by integration costs and store closure costs - even as revenue tripled to $9.6 billion US from $3 billion US.

The firm reports in U.S. dollars.

During the fourth quarter, 40 drugstores were opened, of which 14 were relocations and 16 were closed. On May 28, there were 2,243 stores in the system. In Canada, there are 321 Canadian PJC stores.

Jean Coutu Group shares rose $1.24 to close at $19.50 Cdn on the Toronto stock market Wednesday.

? The Canadian Press, 2005

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Wow! Check out this Eckerd with an old Eckerd truck taken on 7/19/60.

http://www.cmstory.org/exhibit/observer/everyday.htm