Waldbaum's (Some A&P stuff too since they were one in the same)

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 07:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

Bristol, Connecticut had 3 A&P owned Grocery Stores.

Waldbaums Food Mart on Route 6.

A very ourdated Waldbaum's Food Mart on Divinity Street.

An A&P on Pine Street in the Forestville seciton of Bristol. The same plaza as Lowe's Cineplex.

The A&P was the first store to close. They ripped down the entire plaza except for the Lowe's Cineplex. A Super Stop & Shop was among a slew of new retailers built there. Except for the Lowe's Cinepeles, A&P Liquor Store was the only original tenant that returened to the new plaza. The Movie theatre coverted to a discount theatre when Lowe's opened a 20Plex a few miles down the road in the Plainville Commons.

Then they closed down the Waldbaums on Route 6. The place was dying for years. My favorite memory was my mom threatening to shove Green Hamburger meat down the store manger's throat. The spot stayed empty for about 5 years. It is now a Big Lots. The shopping center was in decline for years it had been owned by the same joker who owns Shaws Plaza in Southington.

The Waldbaums on Divinity Street closed down a few years after the one on Route 6 closed. Then the Brook's Pharmacy moved out a year or two later. An independent grocery store called Pat's Market Place (based out of Watertown) opened. They had some minor success, but Stop & Shop forced them out by using dirty tactics.  Pat's grocery supplier was C&S who provided groceirs for Stop & Shop and Shaw's. Stop & Shop on more than one occassion paid C&S to deliver Pat's stuff to their store and paid them more than what Pat's was gonna pay. Things got so bad that they had to close down their original Watertown Store too. The Divinty Street Propery is still vacant to this day.

In Southington FoodMart was located on Route 10 where Bernies is now until 1981 (1 year before I was born). They moved into the old Village IGA store in Caldor Village Plaza. In the mid 1990s they became Super Food Mart. They shut down a couple years later mostly due to a newly built Super Stop & Shop  that was built down the street and a Shaw's which took over the former Edward's Super Food Store in the plaza where they used to be located.

I was in the Meriden Super Foodmart a  few times. Mostly if we need to pick a few things up on the way home from the mall. Since this was a super store they had a lot of things the Waldbaums in Bristol didn't have. One thing that was nasty however was that they had just one toilet for all the employees and all the customers. Before they closed everything else in that plaza moved out. They tore down the plaza except for the old Super Food Mart. Circuity City has since opened in it's place. They recently built an out parcel that has a Sleepy's in it.

I was never at the one in Berlin, but I do know when Railroad Salvage moved to Bristol, they expanded the Berlin Super Food Mart into the old Railroad Salvage Store. Fortunatly the supermarket didn't suffer any damage when a fire in the old Berlin 1 & 2 Cinemas burned down the rest of the plaza. About a year after a fire I saw the plaza from the Showcase Cinemas's parking lot across the street. It was sad. They had the big new Super Foodmart, a big gaping hole and a fire damaged building. I haven't been by there in a long time to see the new plaza.

I don't know when the Waldbaums by Westfarms Mall Closed. I think it was 93 or 94.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Bristol, Connecticut had 3 A&P owned Grocery Stores.

Waldbaums Food Mart on Route 6.

A very ourdated Waldbaum's Food Mart on Divinity Street.

An A&P on Pine Street in the Forestville seciton of Bristol. The same plaza as Lowe's Cineplex.

The A&P was the first store to close. They ripped down the entire plaza except for the Lowe's Cineplex. A Super Stop & Shop was among a slew of new retailers built there. Except for the Lowe's Cinepeles, A&P Liquor Store was the only original tenant that returened to the new plaza. The Movie theatre coverted to a discount theatre when Lowe's opened a 20Plex a few miles down the road in the Plainville Commons.

Then they closed down the Waldbaums on Route 6. The place was dying for years. My favorite memory was my mom threatening to shove Green Hamburger meat down the store manger's throat. The spot stayed empty for about 5 years. It is now a Big Lots. The shopping center was in decline for years it had been owned by the same joker who owns Shaws Plaza in Southington.

The Waldbaums on Divinity Street closed down a few years after the one on Route 6 closed. Then the Brook's Pharmacy moved out a year or two later. An independent grocery store called Pat's Market Place (based out of Watertown) opened. They had some minor success, but Stop & Shop forced them out by using dirty tactics.  Pat's grocery supplier was C&S who provided groceirs for Stop & Shop and Shaw's. Stop & Shop on more than one occassion paid C&S to deliver Pat's stuff to their store and paid them more than what Pat's was gonna pay. Things got so bad that they had to close down their original Watertown Store too. The Divinty Street Propery is still vacant to this day.

In Southington FoodMart was located on Route 10 where Bernies is now until 1981 (1 year before I was born). They moved into the old Village IGA store in Caldor Village Plaza. In the mid 1990s they became Super Food Mart. They shut down a couple years later mostly due to a newly built Super Stop & Shop  that was built down the street and a Shaw's which took over the former Edward's Super Food Store in the plaza where they used to be located.

I was in the Meriden Super Foodmart a  few times. Mostly if we need to pick a few things up on the way home from the mall. Since this was a super store they had a lot of things the Waldbaums in Bristol didn't have. One thing that was nasty however was that they had just one toilet for all the employees and all the customers. Before they closed everything else in that plaza moved out. They tore down the plaza except for the old Super Food Mart. Circuity City has since opened in it's place. They recently built an out parcel that has a Sleepy's in it.

I was never at the one in Berlin, but I do know when Railroad Salvage moved to Bristol, they expanded the Berlin Super Food Mart into the old Railroad Salvage Store. Fortunatly the supermarket didn't suffer any damage when a fire in the old Berlin 1 & 2 Cinemas burned down the rest of the plaza. About a year after a fire I saw the plaza from the Showcase Cinemas's parking lot across the street. It was sad. They had the big new Super Foodmart, a big gaping hole and a fire damaged building. I haven't been by there in a long time to see the new plaza.

I don't know when the Waldbaums by Westfarms Mall Closed. I think it was 93 or 94.

I remember all of those locations. Brings back some memories alright. You've got some great recollection of Central Connecticut's retail. Do you remember that store "Mars" or Ron-a-Roll in the old Red Oak Plaza in Plainville (372).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

AmesNewington

The Berlin Foodmart is my favorite supermarket. My mom worked at the old Waldbaum's Foodmart down on the other end of the plaza. The new store opened in 1996. As for the plaza, the entire plaza didn't burn down. Here's the story:

In 1996, FoodMart moved to their existing store, which is very nice compared to other FoodMarts. Months after that, a pet store (Pets For U) had a tragic fire that killed pets (I hate saying that). What did burn down was the Woolworth building. It almost destroyed Super Foodmart, but the store had firewalls and suffered some smoke damage. That is when the Cinema 1 and 2 theatre suffered severe damage. By this time, the old part of the plaza (an old brick format) had only but a Chinese restaurant and a dry cleaner that closed up after both fires. The old Foodmart was untouched from any fire. They then tore Woolworth down in 1997 (what was left of it, and it still is just a gaping hole in the wall). Then, the owner finally renovated the old half of the building, and there is an Ocean State Job Lot in FoodMart's place, and a Family Dollar next door. The plaza still needs some more minor updates and fixes. A&P Super Foodmart still looks good, as my family shopped their last week, but is hurting for business after a new Super Stop and Shop opened on Farmington Ave. in Berlin.

Also, since I live in Newington, I know about the Newington Foodmart. It is still there on Lowrey Place in the center of town with the design it got in 1994. This store is mainly used for convenience and for the elderly people who reside in homes near the store. The plaza is going downhill though. I have to say that FoodMart has fresh food, including the best tasting Hamburger meat around. I go their now for lunch often.

Finally, does anyone remember the Westfarms FoodMart. That store was said to be full of roaches and was forced to close. I remember they closed on April 8 of some year in the '90s.

Marc82

I remember Mars and the Roller Rink, but I don't know anything about either of those places. Mars closed when I was really small and I never went roller skating. I don't know what else was in that plaza. I think the roller rink closed in 1989 or 1990. I only say that becasue my elementry school used to have its skating parites there.

The plaza that's there now is completely filled except for the 30,00 Sq. Ft. former Levitz Furniture store next to Old Navy. My best friend and I were talking about what they could put there when we spent the afternoon at the plaza on my birthday.

d_fife

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the one in west hartford CT on rt. 44

i didnet know they still had them in ct i know they have alot of them in long island but they covrted alot of them on to A&P
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

AmesNewington

The West Hartford store is weird (at least to me). Although, this store is technically an A&P Super Foodmart, why is it the only store in CT to be still called Waldbaum's Foodmart? Their ads are even referred to as Waldbaum's Super Foodmart. But, then I hear that this store was recently heavily renovated inside and re-named Waldbaum's Fresh. I had no clue A&P would still invest in the Food Mart stores in CT, as they keep closing them (like Newington) and it seems all of the other Food Mart's haven't been touched in ten years at least (the Berlin store, one of the newer and nicer ones looks the same as it did 10 years ago, despite hanging sign changes). What is it about the Food Mart stores? There are only 12 of them left and one of them is called Waldbaum's and the NY Food Mart is labeled outside as A&P. It's a strange concept, but I remember the good old days of Waldbaum's Foodmart!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I remember the good old days of Waldbaum's Foodmart!

There's an old picture of it from I believe the 1960's in this outstanding book. Why haven't I bought this book yet?! Head out to the book store (or if you're lucky, library) and thumb through it.

http://www.amazon.com/West-Hartford-CT-Images-America/dp/0738534862/ref=sr_1_1/002-6882337-3911268?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191340007&sr=8-1
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is waldbaums in port chester new york

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1140400308&subNum=10214000408
This Waldbaum's is now operating under the "A&P Food Market" name.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

This is what the A&P Super Foodmart in my hometown looks like as of recent since it closed in August. It was originally an A&P in 1960 and converted to Waldbaum's Foodmart in the 70s, then changed to Super Foodmart in the mid 90s, to A&P Super Foodmart in 2001.

The plaza is dead. Right now, there are hardly any business in the plaza, and all you'll find there at 7PM is drunks coming out of the bar in the plaza. It's rather sad. However, the owners have plans to revitalize this centrally located plaza in Newington. The plan is to construct a new People's Bank on the outer parcel of the plaza, and re-do the facade of Food Mart and and the side shops, gaining another empty space from the current bank. Already, new lighting has been installed. The plaza is right next to the Post Office.

Before (when open):

AmesNewington

arnoldziffel

i am in the process of witnessing a Waldbaums Fresh Market changing over to a Stop and Shop.   This was an active, busy, and recently remodeled store.   I met the new store manager out front and mentioned to him that I had never seen a store change like this unless the store was a dying chain that was going out of business.  Since a&p owns waldbaums, I knew that wasn't the case.  In fact, they just posted a healthy profit and bought Pathmark.   The only thing i can think of is that about 4 miles up the road is another waldbaums, and 1/4 mile away is a monster pathmark.  So, seeing how they just bought pathmark, maybe that is why they sold this store off.   I have no pictures, as i discovered this too late to catch anything.  In fact, the waldbaums fresh market sign was down, the labelscar painted along with the front facade to conform to the stop and shop color scheme.   In fact, I was thinking they may have even done some plaster work.  I have to look at it again to say for sure.   The pharmacy is still open, the front doors are open, and you can only go the the pharmacy, the rest of the store is blocked off by plywood.   I am not sure who told me, but i heard that waldbaums didn't tell anyone that they were doing this.  they basically closed one night and told the employees that stop and shop had taken over the store.  All the employees were offered jobs with stop and shop or the option to xfer to a different waldbaums.  I did overhear an employee complained that he got screwed in the deal as stop and shop cut all his overtime.   The story about them closing without telling anyone is feasible since they left the pharmacy open during the change over and construction.   I am thinking they had to give people access to their meds.   They are scheduled to open this friday.  I will have to go down and see what changes they have made.  Oh yeah, 1 more thing.  While i was there, there was a shopping cart company.  Basically a guy with a big pick up truck.   He was picking up all the shopping carts.  The only thing is, the carts he was picking up were stop and shop carts.  The only thing i can think of is that they xferred a bunch of carts from the nearest store so that they would have carts to open the store, while waiting for thier order of new carts to come in.  Then, they got the order of new carts in, and didnt need the "borrowed" ones anymore.   I am not sure, but this seems to make sense to me.  I can't think of any other reason to be moving them.

XISMZERO

Former Waldbaums in MANCHESTER, CT on the Tolland Turnpike in the old Caldor/plaza at Burr Corner -- still vacant. This was taken in March 2007 but I've been back since and it's still vacant.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

AmesNewington

I visited the recently renovated Waldbaum's in West Hartford, CT yesterday (5/31). I had heard how bad it was previously, and was impressed with the improvements. I had never seen a remodeled Waldbaum's/Foodmart store, and the fixtures were sharp and beautiful. I went to see about working there and might be getting a job there. It's quite small, but just about the same as the now closed Newington store. Saturday afternoon is not a good time to shop here if you hate crowds, because it was very hectic. I wouldn't push a cart through the store during that time. But the manager and hiring manager are very nice. The manager, Mr. Galotti was my mom's manager back in Berlin 15 years ago. I'm happy for Waldbaum's in West Hartford. I only would have hoped Newington could have gotten this renovation, but of course they had to close.

I'm going for an interview on Wednesday, so I'll take a picture of the front of the store. Different from the "Waldbaum's Foodmart" sign taken a few years ago by an anonymous person, they replaced the sign with "Waldbaum's Fresh", but the facade remains the same.

momof3

AmesNewington, How did you interview go????What deptment are you looking to work in????

AmesNewington

I got the job in West Hartford!! I'm very happy. I am starting as a cashier/bagger, working with the hiring manager, who is very nice and supportive. I have to do the drug test and the store has to do the background check, etc, so in about a week I may be able to start there. The one thing she told me is that the W. Hartford customers are a tough crowd and are very demanding. But, what store doesn't have those kinds of customers?

Marc82

I got the job in West Hartford!! I'm very happy. I am starting as a cashier/bagger, working with the hiring manager, who is very nice and supportive. I have to do the drug test and the store has to do the background check, etc, so in about a week I may be able to start there. The one thing she told me is that the W. Hartford customers are a tough crowd and are very demanding. But, what store doesn't have those kinds of customers?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

momof3

AmesNewington

I started my job at Waldbaum's in W. Hartford today. I did orientation yesterday and they immediately started me on bagging. I know some of the employees from Newington that transfered there. Plus some of the customers I know too. All of the employees are nice to work with and are very helpful. This store is the best. They have many things other A&Ps don't have, they have a scratch bakery and they set things up very nice. I'm hoping I'll like it for a long time. Next week, I think they want to start me on the registers. I love to work with computers, but I'm hoping I do well overall.

I will post a photo of the store with the new 'Fresh' logo on it.

BTW, thanks to Marc82 and momof3 for your well wishes! I'm sorry I didn't thank you sooner.

Marc, how's Wal Mart in Southington going for you?

AmesNewington

Front end. I'm just bagging now, but in the next few weeks I'll be training to be a cashier. Being at the front end also means doing odd jobs like collecting trash from each register, putting carts left at the front end back to their places outside, etc.

FearlessSwan

DerangedHermit

Former Waldbaum's in East Patchogue, NY.

DerangedHermit

QuoteOriginally posted by arnoldziffel
Since a&p owns waldbaums, I knew that wasn't the case.  In fact, they just posted a healthy profit and bought Pathmark.   The only thing i can think of is that about 4 miles up the road is another waldbaums, and 1/4 mile away is a monster pathmark.  

It was mandated by the FTC due to A&P's purchase of Pathmark. 4 Staten Island Waldbaums and 1 SI Pathmark were sold to King Kullen, and the Shirley store was sold to S&S.

I'm still surprised other very close stores weren't sold in the same way, though. (Centereach, NY specifically)

AmesNewington

I want to give you an idea of how well the West Hartford Waldbaum's does, especially around the holidays.

Yesterday, I rang up a handful of very expensive orders. One order that consisted of food and over $200 in gift cards totaled about $492. Another order which consisted of a several month supply of kosher items (meats, baked goods) totaled over $500. These customers will buy a $90 beef brisket, it's incredible. I also believe these two orders were paid with a debit card. I had a few orders also ring up at about $300. Keep in mind, this was only my register we're talking about, there were a total of 9 regular registers and 4 U-Scans going throughout the day.

Additionally, the manager had to open the express lane to ring up an order that involved an entire rack of made-to-order cakes (yes, they actually had to bring up a bakery rack to the register).

I realize that this is the holiday and also there is a winter storm in New-England on the way, but my family would not spend that much on food for the holidays. Also, Jewish customers from as far as New Hampshire come to stock up on Kosher foods, but $90 beef briskets are unbelievable.

A week ago, I rang a $102 piece of meat. I forget what it was, although I believe it was USDA Choice Beef.

This store does very well for itself and it's my firm belief that the A&P chain is still in CT in part because of the W. Hartford store.

DerangedHermit

I want to give you an idea of how well the West Hartford Waldbaum's does, especially around the holidays.

That's insane. I can't imagine many Waldbaum's around here getting that kind of rich business. Only the Hamptons stores (and whatever Gold Coast stores they have) would probably have that kind of spending.

MikeRa

Here is a picture of the Waldbaum's in Howard Beach, NY.  Picture was taken on 1/29/2009.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

I'm still at Waldbaum's at West Hartford and boy have I seen a taste of everything. This isn't the cute little (former) A&P in Newington or the A&P in Berlin or really any supermarket in the area where I live. For example, today alone, I got this old woman that looks like someone from the mob and she always comes in and is horrible to the help. Once she went to a girl's checkout line, the girl asked her for her store card, the woman said "NO, do you have a problem with that?" and the cashier said "NO, but if you're going to give me an attitude, I do have a problem with it". So the woman grabs her items and storms off. Today, she came to my line and she started giving me an attitude. She claimed a store brand bread was 1.79 and it wasn't (blah, blah, blah), ordered me to put the store card number in and started complaining about how stupid the store was and badmouthing my service to her. I was being the understanding person I try to be, but this woman struck a nerve, so I bluntly told her that I did not come to work today to be verbally abused by her. So she paid and took off. A moment later the cashier in front of me tells me the reason she acts this way is because she was drunk, and has come in many times that way. So chances are she'll forget the whole thing tommorrow and come back and do it again.

I also witnessed two old people fighting over a handicapped spot. A middle aged woman also got in to the mess thinking she was all that and more, and was going to both cars and trying to reason with them. (It was none of her business).

All of this is just the tip of the iceberg of what happens. I have never seen a store like this before, I surprise myself each day by continuing to go to work with a smile. I am happy to have a job and wonderful co-workers, and at least this experience has given me a "backbone" and is helping me realize that I can handle anything. Work here for a while, and you'll learn everything there is to know about life, and then some.

Nevertheless, the store is immaculate and offers high quality service like no other supermarket in the area (they really have no choice here) and I like A&P so that's what keeping me there for the moment.

DerangedHermit

rename this to Waldbaum's. This is a pic from the former Waldbaums in Kings Park, NY, now demolished for yet another ****ing CVS.

Caldor1999

here was the waldbaums located in yonkers NY this one became a pathmark i believe
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

TRJ_22487

Brooklyn, NY

Cedarhurst, NY

Commack, NY

East Meadow, NY

Fresh Meadows, NY

Hicksville, NY

Howard Beach, NY

Manhasset, NY

Riverhead, NY