Hills Shopping Carts

Started by tokensafari, July 03, 2005, 12:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokensafari

Well... well... well.... look what i found! Just when i had given' up all hope of ever seeing one of these babies again, i run across some Hills buggies while coming home from work! I was jumping up and down from the utter excitement at this rare find. I called the store that had them and asked if these were legit Hills buggies and they confirmed that they were. Although, they would not tell me where they purchased them or who they purchased them from. I was told that they ordered buggies with there name on them and that's what they received. So, some company out there has Hills buggies they're recycling!

C. Fontaine

Wow!  That's great!  I've never seen a Hills cart before!

tokensafari

lol i guess it wasn't as big of a deal to you all, as it was to me!

Zayre88

Here is the same cart, re-born with Hills logo !

tokensafari

maybe, whoever made the Ames carts.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
maybe, whoever made the Ames carts.

Well Rehrig made the red Ames ones but who made the green Ames ones?

what company made the Caldor Carts:huh:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tokensafari

I am pretty sure the same manufacturer made the red and green ames carts.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
I am pretty sure the same manufacturer made the red and green ames carts.

It is quite possible.  I don't know if the difference between the style of the carts is because of different cart companies.  The green one has square plastic grid at an angle.

tokensafari

I was at Marshalls earlier and i discovered that their carts and Ames' Green Carts are very similar. It has the angles and has the spots for a logo in the same place. Possibly the same manufacturer?

amesman

I found Hills carts at an Amherst(Buffalo), NY Salvation Army. And, across the street, was a former Hills/Ames, so I'm guessing they came from there.

storehistoryguy

I know a dollar store in Huntington Valley, Pennsylvania that has red Ames carts, but the Ames logo is only a sticker and when you peal it off it says Hills on the other side. I took one of the stickers, but I lost it.

Crystal

Our local Big Lots store has a Hills cart.

I took a picture of it the other day.

tokensafari

Can you post the picture, Crystal?

... perhaps it is an old Ames cart MBZ321? I can't really tell from that picture.

Ameskid

The red Ames carts are made by Rehrig. The green Ames carts are made by Rehrig or United.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

beachgal26

I always wondered when and why Ames changed from the green to the red carts since their logo never changed.  Does anyone have some info on this.

Tokensafarai, were you able to get either one of the carts as a perpetual souvenir????  Great find!!!

;););)  ;););)  ;););)  ;););)

Ameskid

HILLS CARTS FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!

They were at an Ollie's Bargain Outlet on the outskirts of Baltimore, MD.

There was a McCrory sticker covering the logo on one of the carts, so i got that too :D
I also got pictures, hopefully I'll remember to post them soon.

patk

i saw a hills cart at the Ollie's here in lancster pa
i was just walking out the door and there it was a pic will come soon :yup:

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid

There was a McCrory sticker covering the logo on one of the carts, so i got that too :D

Can you post those pictures?

Mervyns

I found Hills carts (Ames and Bradlees too) at National Wholesale Liquidators, which is closed now.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I was at the Fox Valley Thrift Shoppe in Green Bay, Wisconsin today. Here's what I found:

*Some Hills carts with a vinyl Ames sticker covering each Hills logo (I could feel the Hills logo underneath the Ames stickers).
*Some red Ames carts.
*Some orange Phar-Mor baskets.

I find it odd that Hills/Ames carts would end up in a city like Green Bay, the home of ShopKo. I believe these carts came from as far away as Virginia!

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
I was at the Fox Valley Thrift Shoppe in Green Bay, Wisconsin today. Here's what I found:

*Some Hills carts with a vinyl Ames sticker covering each Hills logo (I could feel the Hills logo underneath the Ames stickers).
*Some red Ames carts.
*Some orange Phar-Mor baskets.

I find it odd that Hills/Ames carts would end up in a city like Green Bay, the home of ShopKo. I believe these carts came from as far away as Virginia!
Did you take any pictures?
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I didn't bring my camera, but I did see them. I'll be sure to get snapshots, once I get a new camera.

XDeSuEhTX

There's an antique mall very nearby that has several Hills carts.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

GothicPrincess

Davis Center, Greensburg, PA. There's a Dollar or Less shop, the DMV, and some other stuff, but this was found by my friend Tammie...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12675558@N02/6975893168/in/photostream
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

I used to have a brown Hills Department Store shopping cart. It was originally a Gold Circle shopping cart and when Hills Department Stores bought the Gold Circle Chain when Gold Circle was going out of business back in the mid 1980's, Hills just happened to put their Hills logo sticker over the Gold Circle logo. The manager of the Hills Department Store in my area that my mother used to take me shopping at was very kind enough to give me the original brown cart because I wanted it as a Gold Circle/Hills item keepsake back when I was like fourteen years old back in 1997. I had to keep it in the garage though because my mother and father did not want it in our house at all. The sad news is though that due to the fact that it took up too much space in my parent's garage they got rid of it, due to the fact that it took up too much space in their garage and by the time I finally got a place of my own which would have gotten it out of my parent's garage, it was too late. My mother and father had already thrown it out. I really wish that I still had it though. It was a very special item to me and was a really valuable keepsake since it consisted of both the Gold Circle & Hills logos which were two of my very favorite places to shop at when my mother took me shopping while I was growing up back in the 1980's and 1990's.

zonemad96

Quote from: patk on July 06, 2008, 09:49:03 PM
i saw a hills cart at the Ollie's here in lancster pa
i was just walking out the door and there it was a pic will come soon :yup:

Quote from: Ameskid on June 25, 2007, 08:38:42 AM

Maybe i should check my ollies theirs 3 near me in pa and 2 in md i remember coming across a bradlees cart their and thought cool i might as while snap a picture for the forum but i honestly didn't look that hard.

Ameskid

Quote from: Ameskid on June 25, 2007, 08:38:42 AM

...five years later and I still haven't posted the pictures, lol.

I'd scan them, but my scanner/all-in-one is FUBAR.

Ameskid

Look closely at the red one - it's a Hills cart.

Former Hills shopping cart by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

TheFugitive

How can you tell?  Was there any Hills badging visible on it?

The one in front of it looks like it could be an Ames cart.  It's the right shade of
green anyway.

That Hills cart could actually be an Ames cart from the time when I worked for
Ames (where the theme color was red and not green).

Or it could be a Hills cart from a store that was acquired and converted by Ames.