Albertsons, Rite Aid to merge, create grocery/drug store giant

Started by retailisking, February 20, 2018, 09:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

I can see most of the in-store Pharmacies becoming "Insert Name Here" Rite Aid.  The exception will be Jewel Osco since that name is well known in the Chicago area
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

Quote from: MikeRa on February 20, 2018, 08:47:18 PM
I can see most of the in-store Pharmacies becoming "Insert Name Here" Rite Aid.  The exception will be Jewel Osco since that name is well known in the Chicago area
That, plus the fact that Rite Aid isn't exactly a household name in Chicagoland.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on February 21, 2018, 06:24:52 AM
Quote from: MikeRa on February 20, 2018, 08:47:18 PM
That, plus the fact that Rite Aid isn't exactly a household name in Chicagoland.

I would guess that a few other markets might keep Osco versus Rite Aid for the in-store pharmacies. Boston comes to mind as Rite Aid didn't have much of a history in that market before they bought Brooks/Eckerd.

retailisking

Quote from: Scrabbleship on February 21, 2018, 07:18:45 AM
I would guess that a few other markets might keep Osco versus Rite Aid for the in-store pharmacies. Boston comes to mind as Rite Aid didn't have much of a history in that market before they bought Brooks/Eckerd.
I think most of the brand equity for Osco in New England dissipated when the standalone pharmacies were sold off. In-store Osco pharmacies in my neck of the woods do very little business. In any event, only the Jewel-Osco pharmacies will not take on the Rite Aid brand name.

JimSawhill