Main Menu

Ames cart at Hyde Park

Started by XISMZERO, February 14, 2009, 12:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Upon going back through the boards on the Ames sector, I couldn't find a compendium topic on Ames shopping cart sightings. So, I decided to just begin a new one whereby our members can share their pictures (urged!) and stories with them of carts found on-(an Ames or former) site or off-site (a Job Lot or otherwise).

***This topic is for Ames shopping carts only!***
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's a rare red Ames shopping cart sighted on the site of the vacant Kmart in Orange, CT! Like a diamond in the rough, It was just awaiting placement in a shopping cart line-up, sandwiched between AC Moore and Sam's Club carts.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Zayre88

There's an Ames shopping cart topic in the Shopping Cart Sighting topic.  Should we merge this Ames carts topic with that one or move "Ames shopping carts" under the Ames section?

http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=635&page=1

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Here's a rare red Ames shopping cart sighted on the site of the vacant Kmart in Orange, CT! Like a diamond in the rough, It was just awaiting placement in a shopping cart line-up, sandwiched between AC Moore and Sam's Club carts.

That's hot!

gu4ever

Was traveling on Route 9 in New York this week and came across an AMES department store still completely intact.
The location is in Hyde Park, at the "Hyde Park Mall. The entire mall was pretty empty. Behind the Ames store was a lone shopping carriage laying on the ground. I was shocked to see a cart still around and in fantastic shape, almost no rust!!
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

MikeinBuffalo

Did some thrift shopping today and found a very old Ames cart inside. They likely came from Store 1079 which was in a plaza across the street, which became a Hobby Lobby, which is now abandoned.

Vintage Ames shopping cart by Mike Pesarchick, on Flickr

Weirdly, it was a former Hills store, and I was confused as to why they would have such an old cart from a fairly modern location. Weren't they using the green carts by this time?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/43875826095/in/dateposted-public/
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

TheFugitive

Yes, they changed from red to green in the mid-1990's.
From the font on that handle I'd say that cart might be from as
far back as the 1970's.  If true it's in amazingly good shape.