Daylight Saving Time

Started by giantsfan2016, March 11, 2018, 05:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Today is the day most of the USA goes to Daylight Saving Time. The switch actually occurred at 2AM. If you live in an area where they observe Daylight Saving Time, don't forgot to move all your clocks that don't change automatically ahead one hour.

For my Mom and I this would include: Our wrist watches, a clock on the wall in the Family Room, a clock on the wall in the office, the microwave, the stove, the clock radio in the kitchen, the alarm clock next to my Mom's bed, and the clock in my Mom's 2010 Honda Civic.

Also, where exactly does this whole lose an hour of sleep come from? Yes an hour of the day is lost, but if you normally sleep say 5 hours a night, wouldn't you still sleep 5 hours? I sleep between 5 and 7 hours a night. Last night I went to sleep just after 11PM and woke up at 5:30AM. If we hadn't switched the clock an hour ahead, it would've been 4:30AM when I woke up. Normal for me. 5 1/2 hours.  Friday I went to sleep at 10:45PM and woke up at 5:50AM. 7 hours and 5 mins. If the time switch happened Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning it would've been 6:50AM when I woke up.

TheFugitive

If you are one of the unfortunate people who has to get up and go to work on
Sunday morning you are losing an hour of sleep (unless you go to bed early on Saturday).

It has only been for the past few years that Indiana has observed Daylight Savings Time.
When I lived along the Indiana-Ohio border they did not.  You really had to pay attention to
what radio station you were listening to in the summer.  If it was a station from Indiana and
you were not paying attention you risked being late everywhere.

BillyGr

Quote from: Brammy on March 11, 2018, 05:43:50 AM
Also, where exactly does this whole lose an hour of sleep come from? Yes an hour of the day is lost, but if you normally sleep say 5 hours a night, wouldn't you still sleep 5 hours? I sleep between 5 and 7 hours a night. Last night I went to sleep just after 11PM and woke up at 5:30AM. If we hadn't switched the clock an hour ahead, it would've been 4:30AM when I woke up. Normal for me. 5 1/2 hours.  Friday I went to sleep at 10:45PM and woke up at 5:50AM. 7 hours and 5 mins. If the time switch happened Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning it would've been 6:50AM when I woke up.

I'd suspect it's that some people are going by the clock.  For instance, they always goo to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 7am (for 8 hours of sleep).

If they still did that last night, they would only be getting 7 hours sleep, thus the "loss" of an hour.

One place you can see the "loss" of the hour was in the stores this morning - a lot more "stuff" still out waiting to be stocked than usual since the overnight crew had one less hour to work before the store opened in the morning.