Ames Headquarters in Rocky Hill may be on borrowed time

Started by giantsfan2016, January 10, 2018, 04:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

The AMES Headquarters in Rocky Hill may be on borrowed time. Next week the Rocky Hill Planning and Zoning commission will hear a proposal to build apartments on the property.

http://www.courant.com/community/rocky-hill/hc-news-rocky-hill-ames-property-application-20180109-story.html

TheFugitive

Frankly that is probably the right call at this time.
There is a need for housing.  The shuttered Ames HQ is not useful
to many people at this point.

JJBers

Finally! The HQ is not really in good shape, and looks horrible compared to the area around it.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Chuck E. Cheese

giantsfan2016

I sent this article to the Dead and Dying retail page on Facebook via their GMAIL account. They were puzzled (as was I, but I forgot to mention it here) by how the article said the property has been abandoned since the 1980s.

Chuck E. Cheese

Stuff like that is always inaccurate - I did extensive research on a building closed in 2002 which on many city accounts has been "abandoned since the 90s". Closer, still.

M.R.CALDOR

This is why I am pushing for this meet up, board members and former employees should get a chance to take the last photos of the place, and even gain access to it, I see it as a historical landmark, retail history, but the common old geezer dont see it that way.

JJBers

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on January 14, 2018, 06:35:05 PM
This is why I am pushing for this meet up, board members and former employees should get a chance to take the last photos of the place, and even gain access to it, I see it as a historical landmark, retail history, but the common old geezer dont see it that way.
I was there in last November, so kinda last visit?
My Flickr

TheFugitive

More than a photo meet-up, I'd want to bring an Exorcist to the room
where they developed new planograms.  The place was an absolute curse on my
life as a hardlines manager!   ;D

M.R.CALDOR

Quote from: JJBers on January 14, 2018, 06:44:37 PM
Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on January 14, 2018, 06:35:05 PM
I was there in last November, so kinda last visit?

I was there around this time last year, but it would be nice to go up there with some of the crew here.

AcesAdventures

is the inside abandoned?...any chance of anything ames left remaining? :o

giantsfan2016

Quote from: AcesAdventures on February 04, 2018, 05:15:34 PM

I went in January 2017. There are places you can see into the windows. It looks pretty much empty. Although if you like ugly retro flooring....... LOL.

A few of us are supposed to be going again at the end of March.

JJBers

Quote from: AcesAdventures on February 04, 2018, 05:15:34 PM
Label scar is at the front entrance if you look hard enough:

Quote from: JJBers on November 26, 2017, 07:23:43 PM
Nearly a full year later, and it's still completely unused.
Here's two photos:

Abandoned Ames HQ (Rocky Hill, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr

Abandoned Ames HQ (Rocky Hill, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Yep, as you seen at the side, we got a Ames labelscar inside still!

My Flickr

AcesAdventures

we just got back yesterday from going to Rocky Hill, and am glad to report we GOT IN!...recovered alot of goodies, VIDEO SOON

giantsfan2016

Quote from: AcesAdventures on October 23, 2018, 01:48:38 PM
we just got back yesterday from going to Rocky Hill, and am glad to report we GOT IN!...recovered alot of goodies, VIDEO SOON

That's great. BTW, I haven't heard any thing lately about the proposal to build apartments on the property.

giantsfan2016

Geno and I went to the HQ today. We couldn't get in. There was however a red AMES cart sitting outside and Geno had me take a picture of him with the cart. Unfortunately we had his Mom's little Nissan Sentra (she gave us a ride) so we couldn't take the cart with us. If we had my friend's GMC Terrain, damn right we would've take then cart. (Using my friend's Terrain is not happening for reasons I don't want to get into).

retailfan

Quote from: AcesAdventures on October 23, 2018, 01:48:38 PM
cant wait to see that video  will be watching the you tube channel for it to be loaded 

Kmart4life

Hey guys I found this from a channel I subscribe to on YouTube from WallieB26 and Ace's Adventures posted on just 4 days ago on the 13th. The place is in terrible shape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78MH187m-bQ

Kmart4life