Main Menu

The Ames Roadtrip

Started by M.R.CALDOR, October 09, 2018, 11:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.R.CALDOR

Hey guys,
As of this writing in 2018, there are only a handful of vacant Ames stores left in the country, and it is my mission to document them all one last time before they get torn down. The only snag I have is transportation, I would need someone to drive us to these places as I do not have a license or a car. I live in Middletown, CT. We should do this soon as these places are on borrowed time. If interested, please comment below and for specifics, DM me.
Thanks,
Geno aka M.R.CALDOR

Amesguy2000

Are there any abandoned Ames (Abandoned since Ames departure) In Pennsylvania Still?

TheFugitive

Any Ames I can think of out here in Western PA either has a new tenant
or the building has been demolished.

M.R.CALDOR

As far as I know the one in Economy (Northern Lights) is still standing, but on borrowed time and will begin demolition by March of next year. The one in Shamokin still exists as do the ones in Baltimore,MD and Collins, NY.

giantsfan2016

There's no way in hell I'm going to Baltimore, ever again. I went there once for a writing convention way back in 2002. Let me put it this way. That was the first time I had ever seen a dead body.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: Brammy on October 09, 2018, 08:26:25 PM
There's no way in hell I'm going to Baltimore, ever again. I went there once for a writing convention way back in 2002. Let me put it this way. That was the first time I had ever seen a dead body.

Who would blame you anyway as Baltimore is known to be notorious for having a very high crime rate especially violent crime.

TheFugitive

I have been to Baltimore a couple of times.  I did not have any problems, though before
I went a co-worker hooked me up with his sister who lives there.  She literally drew me
a map of places that were safe to go and places that I should definitely avoid.

One thing I would say is that if you're visiting the Inner Harbor you do NOT want to venture
any further north into downtown than the arena.  Things get very, very sketchy after that.

I'd have to say most of the locals I met were very nice and polite, despite the fact that their
city enjoys this hate-hate relationship with Pittsburgh.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 10, 2018, 08:54:18 AM
I have been to Baltimore a couple of times.  I did not have any problems, though before
I went a co-worker hooked me up with his sister who lives there.  She literally drew me
a map of places that were safe to go and places that I should definitely avoid.

One thing I would say is that if you're visiting the Inner Harbor you do NOT want to venture
any further north into downtown than the arena.  Things get very, very sketchy after that.

I'd have to say most of the locals I met were very nice and polite, despite the fact that their
city enjoys this hate-hate relationship with Pittsburgh.

That part is true for sure. The areas in Baltimore that everybody should definitely avoid are mainly the neighborhoods plagued with poverty.

BillyGr

Makes sense that there are good and bad areas (as, it seems, occurs in just about every city these days, small and large).

Not to mention that the locator lists 8 different stores with Baltimore, some without addresses, so it would depend on which one(s) are still standing to even know if they are in a bad or not so bad area.

giantsfan2016

Well Geno and I went to the old AMES in the Centennial Plaza in Meriden. That was their original location in Meriden and was 68,834 square feet. He did a Facebook live video. It was a Railroad Salvage for a few years, but has been vacant since the Railroad Salvage closed.

M.R.CALDOR

The MD location I am referring to is the one in Essex. Any takers, this important to me.

Amesguy2000

I heard Essex was demolished

M.R.CALDOR

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on October 11, 2018, 07:12:18 AM
I heard Essex was demolished

WallieB26 recently did a video on it.

Chuck E. Cheese

Essex, MD is attached to Chuck's place, and as far as I know no major remodeling has gone on in that plaza.

Wishing you best of luck with your trip!!
Nick from the Caldor Rainbow may have some insight about current Ames locations, since he documented a whole bunch about 10 years ago.
Maybe he'd know.

M.R.CALDOR

I guess no one here cares anymore, oh well, this is typical for anything that involves me, no one else ever wants to partake.  :-( :-( :-(
Every time that Wallieb26 explores one, I legit get pissed as I will most likely never get that opportunity. Oy vey. Would've been cool if we could have established a gofundme to make this a reality, but I guess there is no enthusiasm for this stuff anymore.

MikeinBuffalo

Don't take it too hard, mate. A lot of us are very busy and don't live close to PA. I would love to take a road trip but alas I just don't have the time.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums