Main Menu

Ames

Started by tokensafari, January 06, 2005, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokensafari

Ames tried to get wide spread by acquiring other stores and the like, so they could compete with bigger chains, such as: Wal-Mart, and many others. But unfortunately this was their down fall. I talk elsewhere on the boards about the Hills merger. Although this helped them get into other states, where they weren't known... the debt brought on by Hills hurt Ames... but it didn't cripple 'em as some tend to believe. Ames had to acquire Hills to remain competitive. They figure 3rd is a good spot to be in.. and i agree with their move. Even though they went under, at the time, they thought it was a great move. Or else they wouldn't have made the acquisition. They get an A for trying at least...

Zayre88

Ames almost always acquired other stores to grow.  Ames acquired Neisner's, King's, G.C.Murphy's, Zayre, Rich's and Caldor locations....  To acquire Hills was an obvious thing to do for Ames.  Too bad it just failed...  But as some said, Ames would have closed anyway in a few years with Wal-Mart & Target "invading" the Ames territory

tokensafari

amesman

It's kind of hard to say tough, wether to aquire another store, or stay with what you have now. Both cases, vould mean failure.

tokensafari

It is a tough decision! Maybe Ames was thinking more short-term than long term. I mean, surely they knew that they wouldn't be able to keep the # 3 spot for long, right?

Anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by tokensafari
It is a tough decision! Maybe Ames was thinking more short-term than long term. I mean, surely they knew that they wouldn't be able to keep the # 3 spot for long, right?

was Ames EVER #1?

just asking

Anonymous

Ames was #4 behind Kmart, Target and Wal-Mart but #1 Regional discounter.

obillyboy

Ames was successful in small and medium sized towns.  The stores were part of the community and the community loved the stores.  They were the right size and the profit was great.  They started to over expand into areas and communities where they just couldn't compete.  Now there are a lot of small communities without general merchandise stores like Ames and no one will ever go into stores those size unfortunately.  Now people are traveling long distances to go into that huge stores with no personality.  There should have been a lot of towns that could use a store of that size with the selection.  

Ames should have let some of the more experienced management tailor some of the merchandise selection for their area.  Ames was not ready to go into the urban market with their selection.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally posted by tokensafari

was Ames EVER #1?
Caldor Was No1 Before Ames and was 4th behind Kmart Target Wal Mart
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

whip22

Don't forget about Jamesway...that is where we pick Joe up from!

We used to joke, it is the AMES way, not Jamesway

Caldor1999

from the Early 90's to 1998 Caldor was the NO1# rengel discounter and was 4th behined Wal Mart Target and Kmart untill 1999 WHEN THEY WENT OUT THEN AMES HELD THAT NUMBER TILL 2002
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

PRoy

I agree 100% with BillyBoy.
Ames was successful because they put store in places where they were the only store for miles. There was no where else for people to shop in many of these areas, and they gave people decent merchandise for a decent price.
When they began to expand, by buying Zayres, thye began to get into areas which they had never been in before, major markets, like Boston which I think was a completely different challenge for them, one which they were not ready for.
Did they need to do it? Absolutely, unfortunately it didn't work out.

tokensafari

I agree with PRoy. I think this rings true for a lot of the discount chains of the past. They catered to an underserved market and once they tried to expand into bigger markets that had competitors, such as: Wal-Mart, Target, and the like, they just couldn't compete. Sadly, there aren't many retailers left. They're becoming extinct! Think back to a time when there were more regional discount chains than you could count. Now you can count all the major ones on 1 hand! No longer do we have: Ames, Hills, Zayre, Bradlees, or any of the other chains, but now we're left with KMart, Wal-Mart, and Target. The days of many chains are over, and all we can do is reminisce of the good ole days of regional discount chains.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
I agree with PRoy. I think this rings true for a lot of the discount chains of the past. They catered to an underserved market and once they tried to expand into bigger markets that had competitors, such as: Wal-Mart, Target, and the like, they just couldn't compete. Sadly, there aren't many retailers left. They're becoming extinct! Think back to a time when there were more regional discount chains than you could count. Now you can count all the major ones on 1 hand! No longer do we have: Ames, Hills, Zayre, Bradlees, or any of the other chains, but now we're left with KMart, Wal-Mart, and Target. The days of many chains are over, and all we can do is reminisce of the good ole days of regional discount chains.

What we COULD STILL DO IS AIM TO PUT WALMART OUT OF BUSINESS AND HELP Kmart stay alive!:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB

What we COULD STILL DO IS AIM TO PUT WALMART OUT OF BUSINESS AND HELP Kmart stay alive!:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

Kmart and Target join fousces to close down wal mart LOL
Caldor Forever!

PRoy

The interesting thing is if you look at the history of Wal-mart, they also started pretty much the same way as Ames, they built stores where there were none.  They have just been better at doing business in places they are not the only store in town, where Ames was unable to do that.

And just for the record, I do not shop at Wal-mart any more than I have to.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Kmart and Target join fousces to close down wal mart LOL

Target-K lol:insane:

Caldor1999

K Target lol well in a way it will help Kmart hey Maby target should Merged with JC penny or Maby Macys should spin off its own chain and merge with Target Macys is probley Feddrated most well known and biggist chain and i like Macys tehy sell clouths i like there:insane: and there not that expenive eather:yup:
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

I think Target is doing well on its own. They can hold there own. As well as JC Penneys and other stores of that nature. Wal-Mar t isn't a threat or vica versa. Specialty stores are key against Wal-Mart.

Caldor1999

I think Target is doing well on its own. They can hold there own. As well as JC Penneys and other stores of that nature. Wal-Mar t isn't a threat or vica versa. Specialty stores are key against Wal-Mart.

the resion why JC Penny is not doing so well is there not giveing a resion for people to shop there but i dont wanna see them go out cause there a nice Dept store
Caldor Forever!

Anonymous

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Then how come some many stores closed in New England when Wal-mart entered the area?:question:

becuase they were not prepared for a Wal-Mart takeover!

tokensafari

Exactly. Because most stores thought they could handle Wal-Mart. They under-estimated the power and size of Wal-Mart. Although, now more stores are aware of Wal-Mart and how to compete with the retail giant.

Caldor1999

Exactly. Because most stores thought they could handle Wal-Mart. They under-estimated the power and size of Wal-Mart. Although, now more stores are aware of Wal-Mart and how to compete with the retail giant.
that is true  DEPT store u saly have to worey about stores like Tj Max and Berlition Coat Factorey and such Wal Mart isent really a threat to then cause Dept stores like Macys and JC Penny sell better stuff then them
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

the only way to survive against Wal-Mart is to specialize in certain merchandise. But i do think Ames acquired too fast, too soon. When Ames bought Zayre and Hills that was 2 nials in the coffin. When they acquired these stores they also acquired their debt as well. If Ames wouldn't have acquired these two chains, i doubt they would've went out as fast. Who knows they might still be around today.. smaller sure, but maybe that wasn't such a bad thing after all!

Caldor1999

the only way to survive against Wal-Mart is to specialize in certain merchandise. But i do think Ames acquired too fast, too soon. When Ames bought Zayre and Hills that was 2 nials in the coffin. When they acquired these stores they also acquired their debt as well. If Ames wouldn't have acquired these two chains, i doubt they would've went out as fast. Who knows they might still be around today.. smaller sure, but maybe that wasn't such a bad thing after all!

Debt is waht killd Ames but also thats what killed Service Merchandise too they were a strong chain but they keeped on trying Newer idea witch is what killed them Service Merchandise was fine with Wal Mart it dident pose a thrat to them the New Company that has the rights to there name is thinking about putting them back into the retile world

when it comes to Caldor Bradlees and Jamesway thats a whole nouther storey they died cause of Wal Mart invading there spots compishion killed them

Montgomery Ward was a mix or Debt Faley to promote its self droping the catlog line and Compitshion is what killed them along with the Lechmer chain witch Wards Purched back in 1994

many super Markeys die due to merges or aquirring Grand Union was a mix of small stores agests bigger super marktes thats what manley killed them there now owned bu C&S wich uis curntley running 20 somthing GU stores

ajnd i thinnk Ames would have been around today if they dident purches the 155 Hills chain they should have done that with Bradlees in 2001 when they closed for good cause they were much smaller then hills if Ames aquirred Caldor in 1999 they probley would have gone out so much faster cause Caldor was 2nd behine ames in store count and it had just as many stores as hills
Caldor Forever!

tokensafari

You can't blame the whole demise of Ames on the Hills acquisition. Because there were many times that Hills saved Ames' hind end! The problem with Hills was, Ames jumped the gun too quickly. If Ames would've operated the 155 Store Hills chain under the Hills name, instead of converting them all to Ames stores, it would've saved tons of money! You have no idea how much money went into converting these stores. I think ultimately it boils down to Zayre. If you remember Zayre had an enormous amount of debt and would have probably gone under if not for Ames. Not too long after Ames purchased Zayre, Ames sued the consulting firm who recommended the sale to Ames for marking the price of the chain too high. Ames got in too deep too quick. They didn't have the capablity to handle such an enormous amount of stores at one time. If they would've stayed small, specialize in certain products and maintained those few stores they had, they would've gone far.

tokensafari

Not really. Acquiring a few K-Mart locations wouldn't have helped Ames much. The hole was already there and that would have placed them farther in the hole, due to the fact that you would have to fill that store with merchandise, hire employees, place fixtures, buy the lease, signs, and all types of other stuff. Very expensive and not a good move for Ames. They needed to quit worrying about buying other stores and focus on making what stores they already had better and more competitive.

tokensafari

No.. that would be confusing for customers. Just make them subsidiaries and still operate them under their name. Instead of converting them all to Ames stores!

tokensafari

If they go out of business, why worry about it? They're out of business. I'm not sure i even understand what you are trying to say!

tokensafari

No, ames bought them "merged" and they were made into ames stores!