Main Menu

Ames Corporate Offices

Started by C. Fontaine, December 30, 2008, 11:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailfan

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on March 06, 2018, 09:12:40 AM
Does that still work? does it come up eith Ames?
In March it did still answer with a recording  have not tried it recently  i am figuring most likley its done now  but as long as there is any residual income availaible  someone has to keep track of it. being its been over 10 yrs now i doubt anything is left.although i do now Ritz camera  as of last summer  was shipping Quantaray tripods out

vfa87goldenwarriors

I tried the number today (January 10th, 2019) and it rang a few times before going to straight to a voicemail. "Ames" was not mentioned in the recording.

TheFugitive

You could try leaving a message and see if they call you back.

Perhaps the lady on here who is looking for her Ames 401K should try this.

DebWV

For those that called the working Ames phone # and got a recording...did you leave a message & did you get a reply?

Kmart4life

For anyone interested, there is a Youtuber named WallieB26 who did a video of the Rocky Hill corporate offices. It was in REALLY BAD shape but he was able to get inside and do an investigation. He does a good job on his videos.

patk

Quote from: Kmart4life on April 06, 2019, 09:15:21 PM
For anyone interested, there is a Youtuber named WallieB26 who did a video of the Rocky Hill corporate offices. It was in REALLY BAD shape but he was able to get inside and do an investigation. He does a good job on his videos.
i like him to i think hes on here?

AmesNewington

I had not realized where in Rocky Hill the HQ was, until I drove down Main Street on my way to Cromwell. No signs from what I could see of Ames at all. It's on a busy strip. Surprised it hasn't been repurposed as anything else. I want Ames back. Still miss it.

Crazybangles

You'd think after more than 15 years of having this ugly abandoned building someone would've rented it out by now...

Planet Retail

Quote from: Crazybangles on July 13, 2019, 01:45:24 PM
You'd think after more than 15 years of having this ugly abandoned building someone would've rented it out by now...

My guess is that by the time someone was interested in it, the building was in far too bad shape for it to have been used, and renovating and/or demolishing the building would have been too costly and impractical for most people. However, I do believe Ames' planogram building located across from their offices at 2409 Main St has been redeveloped into retail uses.

Crazybangles

That's believable. There's something similar in my town where there is a Kmart that has been closed since March 2017. Shortly after the store closed, someone was interested in it but only wanted half of the store's space. The town refused to subdivide the space, therefore causing them to pull out of it. There has been no activity ever since.

EDIT August 22, 2023: Just now getting around to looking at this post again. That Kmart was finally demolished in December 2019.

shore72

There was a fairly large corporation based in a small town near where I live; their corporate headquarters once held over 1,000 workers. When the company went bankrupt 20 years ago a real estate company bought all their property, spread over much of the US. I suspect much of it has long since been sold or leased but nobody has ever occupied the main offices. A relative who worked there when they closed told me the building was already in disrepair back then & it's obvious time hasn't treated it well. It was already a white elephant (who else would want to locate corporate offices here? There is very little demand for professional offices or even retail.) I wouldn't be surprised to see it demolished at some point.

TheFugitive

Technology is much more of a factor today when selecting an office location than when it was
back when Ames pulled the plug in 2002.  Is that building wired for fiber optic internet for example?
I doubt it.   Plus it certainly must have deteriorated while sitting empty all these years.

At this point going into a new building probably makes more economic sense than paying
for all of those renovations.

M.R.CALDOR

my mother showed me some sad news, it appears that demolition is underway at the old Ames headquarters.

TheFugitive

I wonder if we can get pieces of it in little cloth bags?  When I was at Ames we sold little pieces of the Berlin Wall that had been packaged in cloth keepsake bags.

patk