Toys "R" Us Closing at least 100 locations possibly 200

Started by giantsfan2016, December 18, 2017, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 31, 2018, 01:21:35 PM
What is the chances ALL Toys R us' will close?
I hate to say it, but you're saying a question that nobody knows the answer to. I really don't know.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 31, 2018, 06:38:22 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on January 31, 2018, 01:21:35 PM
What is the chances ALL Toys R us' will close?
I hate to say it, but you're saying a question that nobody knows the answer to. I really don't know.

whats the chances they will have another wave? I feel Toys r us closing stores period is as Bad as the Burgermeister Miesterburger.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on February 01, 2018, 10:42:20 PM
Brass Mill Toys R Us and Buckland Hills Babies R Us  are off the closing list.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/37406351/two-toys-r-us-stores-no-longer-listed-as-closing?autostart=true
I think that they should put that Buckland Hills Babies "R" Us back on the list, and just combo with the Toys "R" Us down the road.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Can I ask, if there are somethings Toys R us DOES have that WAlmart and TARGET DO NOT HAVE and in some in this wave they are closing where its the only Toys R us for a while away, Will Walmart and or Target pick up those items, and or let customers special order them but for a small fee?

Howe could Toys r us do this, close some in areas where its the only one for an hour or more away. They deserve to fail due to that.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 02, 2018, 02:08:01 PM
Can I ask, if there are somethings Toys R us DOES have that WAlmart and TARGET DO NOT HAVE and in some in this wave they are closing where its the only Toys R us for a while away, Will Walmart and or Target pick up those items, and or let customers special order them but for a small fee?

Howe could Toys r us do this, close some in areas where its the only one for an hour or more away. They deserve to fail due to that.
I believe that most unsold products will be just shipped to currently open stores.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on February 02, 2018, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on February 02, 2018, 02:08:01 PM

I believe that most unsold products will be just shipped to currently open stores.

I know but I mean is if there are items that you can only find at Toys r us and Walmart and Target dont have, will WAlmart and Target pick those things up or be open to special ordering that item but for a fee? for instance I recall World of Springfield figures out and Walmart never had them but Toys r us and Target did and would WAlmart have special ordered them (They get other toys from that same company that made them). 

I am mad at Toys r us for crushing some kids promised trip to TOys r us as a reward for something or seeing shelves and shelves of Legos. They deserve to fail

danfifepsu

I was IN BANGOR's Closing sale and it was 10 to 30 percent off. OK The store is A DUMP, has a crap selection, was smelly and dirty inside, very small, its aisles hadn't been rearranged since it opened, NO Big Star Wars and Movie HQ aisles. The store told me it opened 1989. Whats your take on this store? I had been there before and it would appear the store was closed during it's hours of operation when pulling in. I was told it wasn't that packed even in December.
The one in Portland is way way way way better and Portland's told me when they were making evaluations, they were making it's way to Portland Toys R us, Babies r us in Portland and Bangor's store and they told me That they spent 4 hours in Bangor's store alone saying this is bad! they said Bangor's wasnt very well run.

What's the Chances there will be another wave of closings?

danfifepsu

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on February 21, 2018, 11:52:25 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/toys-r-us-plans-to-close-another-200-stores-1519254948

200 more to close.

I saw and OK, when will this happen and how do they know 200? I hope Toys R us makes it! but I wonder if Concord NH will close next wave. I bet it will

Will South Portland's make it?

retailisking

TRU could be forced into liquidation; I've read elsewhere that they aren't keeping their promise to pay severance to laid-off employees. That tells me the situation is pretty dire.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/21/toys-r-us-is-in-danger-of-breaching-a-covenant-with-its-lenders.html

XISMZERO

Let's break it down since most media outlets have led most people to believe the mayday that Toys R Us is closing 182 stores. The articles should read: Toys R Us are closing, but more Babies R Us stores are closing.

(Please excuse the margin of error, I am missing 2 or 3 stores here)

96 Babies R Us
50 Toys R Us
30 Toys R Us/Babies R Us
2 Outlet
1 Express

Even with combination stores included, Babies R Us stores closing still outclass Toys R Us.

For those who've been watching (as many of us on AFC do), ever since the first major company purge from 2006, many existing Toys R Us stores were either converted to Babies R Us, combo'd or built from the ground up. The actual result here is that the company got way in over its head with Babies R Us expansion since 2006.

Now the update of 200 more? Could be more Babies R Us stores, we'll see the list in the coming days...

Source: https://offspring.lifehacker.com/see-if-your-toys-r-us-is-one-of-the-180-stores-that-are-1822455899
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: XISMZERO on February 22, 2018, 01:18:21 PM
Let's break it down since most media outlets have led most people to believe the mayday that Toys R Us is closing 182 stores. The articles should read: Toys R Us are closing, but more Babies R Us stores are closing.

(Please excuse the margin of error, I am missing 2 or 3 stores here)

96 Babies R Us
50 Toys R Us
30 Toys R Us/Babies R Us
2 Outlet
1 Express

Even with combination stores included, Babies R Us stores closing still outclass Toys R Us.

For those who've been watching (as many of us on AFC do), ever since the first major company purge from 2006, many existing Toys R Us stores were either converted to Babies R Us, combo'd or built from the ground up. The actual result here is that the company got way in over its head with Babies R Us expansion since 2006.

Now the update of 200 more? Could be more Babies R Us stores, we'll see the list in the coming days...

Source: https://offspring.lifehacker.com/see-if-your-toys-r-us-is-one-of-the-180-stores-that-are-1822455899

Which ones do you speculate will close if there is another wave? For me Swansea Mass, CONCORD NH, Clarence NEW YORK thats near the EAstern Hills Mall, Moline IL, 1 of the 2 in Grand Rapids MI, CHesapaoke VA, Lynchburg VA.
some that were taken off this latest ones list I feel may end up closing this next wave. like Glens Falls.

How Many Babies r us' and what went wrong w Babies R Us?

MikeinBuffalo

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 22, 2018, 02:31:51 PM

Which ones do you speculate will close if there is another wave? For me Swansea Mass, CONCORD NH, Clarence NEW YORK thats near the EAstern Hills Mall, Moline IL, 1 of the 2 in Grand Rapids MI, CHesapaoke VA, Lynchburg VA.
some that were taken off this latest ones list I feel may end up closing this next wave. like Glens Falls.

This would suck. Grew up shopping there! It's usually fairly busy. Why do you think this location would close? Age?
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

XISMZERO

I have noticed a lot of the old-school ones and or long-running locations from the 1980s aren't on the chopping block (Clay, NY, Boardman, OH, St Clairsville, Montgomery, AL, Horseheads, NY) -- probably because they do well enough and in sales and location. Seems like this closure wave is targeted the aggressive expansion of Babies R Us stores for now. Until we see the list of more stores. I wonder that the reason the above stores have remained old for so long is because they just make it enough just not enough to remodel.

Not a betting man but I would say something has got to give with Montgomery, AL -- there's no Babies R Us stores anywhere nearby but that TRU is so old I can see it closing or remodeling into a combo store. It's in pretty rough shape almost as if they were thinking about closing it years ago.

Then again, Bangor, ME is on the list and there are no other stores nearby.

In my state (CT), we are losing some I am surprised by, especially Newington and Manchester.

Could also be the property/leases are too high or would be too high to re-up to keep operating?

Without the sales figures, no one really knows exactly beyond this obvious, speculative answer.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: XISMZERO on February 22, 2018, 03:55:17 PM

I have noticed a lot of the old-school ones and or long-running locations from the 1980s aren't on the chopping block (Clay, NY, Boardman, OH, St Clairsville, Montgomery, AL, Horseheads, NY) -- probably because they do well enough and in sales and location. Seems like this closure wave is targeted the aggressive expansion of Babies R Us stores for now. Until we see the list of more stores. I wonder that the reason the above stores have remained old for so long is because they just make it enough just not enough to remodel.

Not a betting man but I would say something has got to give with Montgomery, AL -- there's no Babies R Us stores anywhere nearby but that TRU is so old I can see it closing or remodeling into a combo store. It's in pretty rough shape almost as if they were thinking about closing it years ago.

Then again, Bangor, ME is on the list and there are no other stores nearby.

In my state (CT), we are losing some I am surprised by, especially Newington and Manchester.

Could also be the property/leases are too high or would be too high to re-up to keep operating?

Without the sales figures, no one really knows exactly beyond this obvious, speculative answer.

I love Montgomery's look

of Bangor's on the list., I went in that store on MONDAY and its A DUMP!!! it has a crap selection, is a small store, does not have what many Toys r us have, has not even changed the aisles around since it opened, didnt have the big STar WArs aisle, didnt have the MOVIE HQ aisle, and was dirty and smelly inside! Even corporate did an evaluation at the store and they spent 4 hours saying this is bad.

ALSO I SAID THAT OF CLAREnce as the mall is dying and Amherst's is near it.

retailisking

TRU is expected to go into adminstration (liquidate) in the UK next week; they're so broke they can't even cover sales taxes due
https://news.sky.com/story/3200-jobs-at-risk-as-toys-r-us-uk-lines-up-administrator-11264021

danfifepsu

Why the UK ARM? and I hope the US Arm of the Company makes  or emerges. Also on average most chains close 30 percent of it's store base.

Chuck E. Cheese

Newington, CT has been on the list for a while - and by the looks of it from driving past on the Berlin Turnpike, they're having a liquidation sale currently.

A part of me is sad as that was my childhood store.
It will also be a vacancy in the Newington Fair - which will be the first after the plaza's revitalization by Stew Leonard's in 2007, occupying the former Caldor space.. which then evolved to include Sleepy's (now Mattress Firm), PetValu (both inside the Stew's building), LA Fitness, and Sam's Club.

But that process heavily documented by XISMZERO.. I've spent a little too much time reading his blog, can't you tell, haha...

giantsfan2016

Should be interesting to see what takes over the Newington TRU. That and the former Ann & Hope Curtain Store are the largest vacancies on The Turnpike currently.

retailisking

It's all over for the UK division - they officially went bankrupt today and are closing all stores
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43225248

Amesguy2000

There has been reports more are gonna close.. 200 im thinking not positive though

retailisking

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on March 02, 2018, 10:13:44 AM
There has been reports more are gonna close.. 200 im thinking not positive though
Odds are slim that the US division will survive. I think the Asia division has a shot at making it under new ownership.