Toys "R" Us Closing at least 100 locations possibly 200

Started by giantsfan2016, December 18, 2017, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on December 18, 2017, 08:47:09 PM
Toys "R" Us is closing 100 locations - possibly as many as 200. Sales are down 15% this Christmas season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/toys-%E2%80%98r%E2%80%99-us-is-said-to-consider-closing-at-least-100-stores/ar-BBGZhVb

I hope not! I feel 100 or 200 is high! and they have said most of their stores are profitable! and I feel if stores close they will be in areas where you can get to another 1 in 10-15 min, like for instance in metro areas they I feel wuld close in distressed shopping areas and keep ones in the stronger shopping areas and those ones and ones where its hte only one around (40 miles or more) may be safe! like I feel Swansea Mass Toys r us will close as its near a dead mall w no other retail around it and 3 other Toy sr us ' (Warwick RI, Dartmouth Mass & Attlebor Mass) are 15 miles from it in stronger shopping areas.

danfifepsu

I have had 2 dreams of this Toys r us closing stores. OK OK they said the vast majority of their stores are profitable WHAT then? I feel and hope I am right : I Feel ones that will close are ones in areas where you can get to another within 15 min or redundant locations like a Full BAbies R us near a Hybrid Toys R us Babies R us.

danfifepsu

Still.no.news. also i hope.stores that may.not be doing well got a warning to shape up.or close.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on January 24, 2018, 03:20:13 AM
Here's the list; there's about 180 in all:

https://www.scribd.com/document/369864806/Toys-R-Us-Stores-Closing-List

here ls the list https://www.scribd.com/document/369864806/Toys-R-Us-Stores-Closing-List.

FOR CT: Newington is on the list (SURPRISED?) and Why is Waterbury? and North Haven Combo store is and Babies R us in Manchester is too.

Why are half Babies R us on that list and 40 percent of the 182 closing are.

Bangor Maine's Toys R us is on that LISt too! WHY? W that and the mall dying I feel EVERYONE is leaving Bangor!

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 24, 2018, 08:41:04 AM

here ls the list https://www.scribd.com/document/369864806/Toys-R-Us-Stores-Closing-List.

FOR CT: Newington is on the list (SURPRISED?) and Why is Waterbury? and North Haven Combo store is and Babies R us in Manchester is too.

Bangor Maine's Toys R us is on that LISt too! WHY? W that and the mall dying I feel EVERYONE is leaving Bangor!

I never got what was the deal with Toys R Us and Babes R Us in Manchester, but this list so far isn't affecting me much.
Also Bangor isn't that large of a city. It's about as large as Westerly, RI, or Vernon, CT.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Manchester, CT is the only location that surprises me. Waterbury doesn't surprised me. They usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to stores closings. Berlin Turnpike doesn't surprise me because it's a very small store.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on January 24, 2018, 09:58:42 AM
Manchester, CT is the only location that surprises me. Waterbury doesn't surprised me. They usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to stores closings. Berlin Turnpike doesn't surprise me because it's a very small store.

what happend w Waterbury's?

also of Bangors, Williamsport, and Moncia pas they are in teh shopping area of a dying mall leading me to feel those are places where everyone is leaving.

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 24, 2018, 09:34:33 AM

I never got what was the deal with Toys R Us and Babes R Us in Manchester, but this list so far isn't affecting me much.
Also Bangor isn't that large of a city. It's about as large as Westerly, RI, or Vernon, CT.

of Bangor its market is 150k and the nearest one is 130 miles away, its mall is dying so everything there is closing! that store I was told wasnt busty even near Christmas. whats the deal w that store?

TRU7536

You guys do know the Manchester one is a BRU right. They are located in two different plazas.

Shocked about the North Haven, since it’s like a few years old after relocating from Hamden.

RIP store 7536 - Newingnton, my first job. Lasted a good 22 years there and at one point was the sole retailer in that plaza.

Newington was a small one, about 30,000 sf. But people would come from WH and other areas bc they liked it. This was the late 90s and early to mid 2000’s

Waterbury not shocked, didn’t make money.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 24, 2018, 10:23:14 AM
Quote from: JJBers on January 24, 2018, 09:34:33 AM

of Bangor its market is 150k and the nearest one is 130 miles away, its mall is dying so everything there is closing! that store I was told wasnt busty even near Christmas. whats the deal w that store?
That's the whole county it's located in. I would say it's market is around 50-75k. Not that large. (It's probably longer to get to Bangor from a area in that county than to go to the nearest TRU from Bangor)
My Flickr

BillyGr

Quote from: JJBers on January 24, 2018, 12:31:38 PM
That's the whole county it's located in. I would say it's market is around 50-75k. Not that large. (It's probably longer to get to Bangor from a area in that county than to go to the nearest TRU from Bangor)

One thing that is a bit more unusual about Bangor is that it is the last semi-large town in that area. 

Once you go north from there, most of the rest of Maine is fairly low in population, with only small towns that (at least in many cases) have limited options in terms of stores.

Due to that, Bangor will likely draw (or at least has done so) from a larger area than most "regular" cities it's size due to being the closest accessible area to many.

You see some of the same up here in NY in the Adirondacks, where the few larger towns/cities get people from what other areas would consider too far away just due to the lack of options in those other areas (which was, of course only made worse when chains like Ames disappeared, since they were willing to open in those "smaller towns" that the bigger brands will avoid).

patk

looks like the TRU in Durham nc on Westgate Drive will die on 9/30 in 2020!

danfifepsu

Quote from: patk on January 24, 2018, 09:10:09 PM
looks like the TRU in Durham nc on Westgate Drive will die on 9/30 in 2020!

why is it closing?

ok How di Waterbury not make any money?

Also Rapid City SD is closing! the nearest other one is 350 miles away in Sioux Fals. Rapid icty is near MT Rushmore and Sturgis Bike week. why is that closing?

oF Bangor I Am still baffled by it! but then the mall its near is havign a high vacancy rate thats facing foreclosure.  but then many years ago Duluth Mn lost their toys r us

why is Tallahasee FL Closing? its the only one around in the capitol of FL!!!! ALSO why is the one in Kissimee FL closing when it only opened 3 months ago

in CA the one in PAlm Springs is closing! WHY? and most in SAn Franicsco are.

the one in PA near the Lycomign mall is closing and that mall has lost SEArs J C PENNY And MAcys, why is it if a mall is in that condition the Toy sr us in that area follows.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

XISMZERO

A few things:

The current list circulating includes Babies R Us stores -- it's not 182 "Toys R Us" stores, it's 182 Toys "R" Us holdings stores (which includes Babies R Us).

A lot of misleading articles love to buzz with claims that Toys R Us is closing 20% of its stores -- many of them are Babies R Us, and ones that were involved in overexpansion from when TRU did it's last major sweep in 2006 so I'd pair this number to 12-15% -- hardly a big number at this point. Another buzz is the word people love to parrot: Chapter 11. This doesn't mean they're GOB.

Many of the rare, surviving old-school ones with the rainbow or painted over stripes/brown roof designs from the 1980s are NOT closing.

This includes:
Montgomery, AL (<---- currently the oldest, largely untouched one in the entire world! -- go check this one out!)
Clay, NY
Horseheads, NY
Boardman, OH
St. Clairsville, OH
Wilmington, NC

The closing list is not discriminating based on how old/outdated they look either -- apparently just the ones that have been failing their sales goals or leases too high are going.

Wondering if there will (and probably will be) more to come...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TheFugitive

The Pittsburgh area closings are:

- Ross Park Mall
- Monroeville
- Beaver Valley
- Washington, PA

That Washington, PA store is one of the "old school" designs, I believe.
At least it was the last time I went by there.

JJBers

Quote from: XISMZERO on January 25, 2018, 03:15:06 PM
A few things:

The current list circulating includes Babies R Us stores -- it's not 182 "Toys R Us" stores, it's 182 Toys "R" Us holdings stores (which includes Babies R Us).

A lot of misleading articles love to buzz with claims that Toys R Us is closing 20% of its stores -- many of them are Babies R Us, and ones that were involved in overexpansion from when TRU did it's last major sweep in 2006 so I'd pair this number to 12-15% -- hardly a big number at this point. Another buzz is the word people love to parrot: Chapter 11. This doesn't mean they're GOB.

Many of the rare, surviving old-school ones with the rainbow or painted over stripes/brown roof designs from the 1980s are NOT closing.

This includes:
Montgomery, AL (<---- currently the oldest, largely untouched one in the entire world! -- go check this one out!)
Clay, NY
Horseheads, NY
Boardman, OH
St. Clairsville, OH
Wilmington, NC

The closing list is not discriminating based on how old/outdated they look either -- apparently just the ones that have been failing their sales goals or leases too high are going.

That's nice to know, then again, I'm not sure when I'll ever been in the Syracuse area next to ever see it. (Clay, NY)
My Flickr

Only two stores are closing in Wisconsin:

Brookfield, Wisconsin (Bluemound Road)

Madison, Wisconsin (Zeier Road)

The location near me is safe for now...

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 25, 2018, 06:01:17 PM
Only two stores are closing in Wisconsin:

Brookfield, Wisconsin (Bluemound Road)

Madison, Wisconsin (Zeier Road)

The location near me is safe for now...

those are Babies R us.

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 25, 2018, 04:05:49 PM
Quote from: XISMZERO on January 25, 2018, 03:15:06 PM
A few things:

This includes:
Clay, NY
Horseheads, NY
Boardman, OH
St. Clairsville, OH
Wilmington, NC

That's nice to know, then again, I'm not sure when I'll ever been in the Syracuse area next to ever see it. (Clay, NY)

and Augusta GA, Gainesville FL, Orange PARK FL, Charleston SC, LAfayette IN, moline IL (Despite 1 in Davenport 15 minutes away, but I was told thats always been there) and Brookfield WI TOYS R US.

The Geoffrey store in Meridian, Mississippi is also on the list.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 26, 2018, 04:07:49 PM
The Geoffrey store in Meridian, Mississippi is also on the list.

NO SURPRISE, as its a smaller market with a dying mall. Why is it many Toys r us I have sen on that list are in retail markerts where the mall is dying and that lost an anchor or 2 with many inline stores vacant.

I bet if they had one in Pittsfield Mass it would CLOSE, the mall there is half empty with almost all anchors GONE.

Again what went wrong with BANGORS store? it was the only one till Portland. what is making it close, but I heard from othres it wasnt packed even in December. I havebeen there and it was not busy at all. What happened w that store?

BillyGr

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 26, 2018, 04:16:38 PM
I bet if they had one in Pittsfield Mass it would CLOSE, the mall there is half empty with almost all anchors GONE.

Might not be surprising that they never made it into that area, given that Pittsfield was the KB Headquarters until they closed up.

danfifepsu

Quote from: BillyGr on January 26, 2018, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on January 26, 2018, 04:16:38 PM

Might not be surprising that they never made it into that area, given that Pittsfield was the KB Headquarters until they closed up.

yup and if Toys r us was in Pittsfield and near that mall, whats chanceS I Am right it would have been in this wave of closings? look at how dead that Berkshire mall is!

and can anyone answer my questions of BAngor closing?

How come Talalhasee and Indio are losing their Toys r us despite their markets have 300K people? and Durham NC too.

Whats chances Toys r us wont survive this bankruptcy? they promised they wouldnt close a lot of stores and alas they DID. 182 of them. and last month there were reports they are closing 100 to 200 stores

Why has Babies R us gone Down??? it was their crown jewel 15 years ago.

Will there be another wave? I am surprised COncord NH didnt close. I was in there 2 nights ago and I was the only customer there.  Toys r us had a wave of closings in 2006

NJxxJon

JN

danfifepsu

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 27, 2018, 04:38:08 PM
Quote from: NJxxJon on January 27, 2018, 10:02:30 AM
https://offspring.lifehacker.com/see-if-your-toys-r-us-is-one-of-the-180-stores-that-are-1822455899

updated list  i think.....P  BURG NJ WIll get pics someday  O0
whats chances they will emerge from bankruptcy?
How come.some.of the locations where.the Play Labs were put.in are.on the closing list?

danfifepsu