New London Mall

Started by JJBers, November 18, 2017, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

Does anyone know this mall? It apparently contained a Two Guys at first, then a Bradlees which replaced Two Guys, and a Marshals. Now it's a plaza with a ShopRite. These are the only two photos I could dig up from the internet.

It met it's fate most likely due to the much larger Crystal Mall. This is what it is now (ignore the yellow box):
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Bdubs

I remember going to this mall when I was young. When it was an enclosed mall it was pretty much on its way out in the late 80s. It wasn’t very large, just one main corridor to connect the 2 anchors from Bradlees to Marshals. The original mall was built in 68, and the much larger Crystal Mall built in or around 85 was a deadly blow to that mall.
I circled where Marshals is currently, that is actually the last original part of the enclosed mall. Everything else was torn down, and it revitalized that shopping center. Sadly, a lot of the small units are once again empty, as retail itself is just withering away it seems.
The Chili’s out front was originally built as a Red Lobster. It probably closed mid 90s. The Chuck E. Cheese closed a few years ago, and that dirt lot behind it was once a bowling alley. The building was there empty for probably 25 years, they just recently knocked it down.
I work in New London, drive by that area quite frequently.

Chuck E. Cheese

Yep, that's the Chuck E. Cheese's..closed in 2013 and was built in 1993 as a CEC.
Sad to hear it's been torn down.. I did visit over the summer, but understandably it's probably not the choice area for development.

JJBers

I do have a photo of that location actually:

I-95 by JJBers, on Flickr
(This is a result of trying to take a photo from the highway in the rain)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

standa

I remembering seeing Malley's Dept. Store ads years ago that listed a location at the New London Mall. Was it in the Bradlees space, Marshalls space or somewhere else?